PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Systems Free Salt

masterswimmer
12/20/2003, 01:25 PM
Hey guys,
Saw a post about free sample of salt. I ordered it. I'm sure I'll be on their spam list but I can deal with it. http://www.oceanicsystems.com/seasalt/

check it out.

Russ

foxstop
12/20/2003, 03:54 PM
It's been a while since a brand new salt came onto the market. I wonder how this salt will fare against Instant Ocean and other standard bearers.
Should be interesting to get the sample just to test it and compare. I'm curious about the pricing too.

Thanks for the info Russ!

Brian

masterswimmer
12/20/2003, 04:21 PM
No prob Brian, I was wondering the same thing.

masterswimmer
12/21/2003, 07:09 PM
^^

foxstop
12/21/2003, 07:17 PM
I still haven't found a place that sells this salt.
I wonder how they will handle the demand for samples brought on by RC? I saw another thread in another clubs forum on the same thing:D

When I get my sample I am going to take some readings. I have some Instant Ocean and Marinmix Bioassay formula I can compare it to. It will be some basic comparisions, but I'm very curious.

Brian

masterswimmer
12/21/2003, 07:19 PM
keep me posted

Russ

foxstop
12/21/2003, 07:24 PM
It will be highly UN-scientific. Just based on the basic test kits most of us have. PH, Calcium, ALK/KH, Phosphates, and I think I have a silicate test kit too. I wouldn't think I would need to test for Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia, or dissolved oxygen.
I have to see if I have a Copper test kit hanging around somewhere too.

Brian

andro
12/23/2003, 02:09 PM
ordered my free bag.

-Ian

Tomzpc
12/23/2003, 03:42 PM
I'd be a little wary about using any "new" brand of salt, regardless of the manufacturer's reputation, until it has proven to be safe and effective. Quite a few people have reported problems when mixing different salt mixes as well. Just call me paranoid. :strange:

ChrisRD
12/23/2003, 11:56 PM
That's good advice Tom. I wiped out all the SPS in my tank earlier this year by trying a 10% water change with Crystal Death Bio-Elimination Mix (aka Crystal Sea Bio-Assay Mix). Prior to that I had been using IO (which is what I'm using again!). Apparently, mixing the two is bad juju...

The worst part is that I've been at this long enough to know better. The only reason I even entertained the idea was because I've switched back and forth between Tropic Marin and IO before and never had a problem. The salt was inexpensive and being touted as great stuff by an "expert", so I figured what harm could a 10% water change with a new salt do right?... ..:(

I tried a DSB for about 1-1/2 years also. I found no benefit to a DSB (and a few problems) and removed mine when I had to move the tank this year. IMO, so far the good doctor is 0 for 2...

My advice to new hobbyists - stick with the tried-n-true stuff that works as Tom says! There's a lot more bad advice flying around in this hobby than good (unfortunately)!

minfinger
12/24/2003, 02:19 AM
We're getting the free salt too in Charleston, SC :D

andro
12/24/2003, 12:13 PM
I agree Tom, I am not getting the bag to use, but to give to someone with a decent test kit to see what is in it.

If it ain't broke, I'm not going to change anything. My tank has been very stable with IO, so I will always use IO.

-Ian

ChrisRD
12/24/2003, 12:56 PM
Coming from Oceanic I would expect it to be a quality product. Time will tell...

vester_72
12/28/2003, 01:36 PM
tagging along.

ordered my samples too.