PDA

View Full Version : Fish Suddenly Dieing!

reefcrazy00246
12/20/2003, 01:31 AM
Ok, I am having this problem. It has happened twice, now within probably a month. Both times I have been feeding the fish. They were all eating fine and swimming fine, acting normally, etc. Then all of a sudden the fish will instantly, like hitting an invisible wall, just start flipping out, swimming upside down, running into things, then after a few minutes they settle down to the bottom and slowly die. Has ANYBODY seen this before?? Heard of this, or know what the problem is?? The first case was about a month ago, and in my 20 gallon tank, with live rock, the fish was a lemon damsel, and it was the only fish in the tank, it happened during feeding Brine Shrimp. Case #2, tonight, while feeding Brine shrimp again, nearly the same thing happened to my Royal Gramma. This time it was in my 90 gallon reef tank. All other fish are fine. Any ideas???

Thanks
Jason

reefcrazy00246
12/20/2003, 01:35 AM
This most recent case i was feeding a brand called, Hikari. And the first time i was feeding a San Francisco Bay, brand of Brine Shrimp.

Also, I have had both the fish for about 5-6 months, or so....not like they are new to the tanks/environment.

cabenn
12/22/2003, 10:30 AM
First off,

when you are posting it would be good to know the tank's parameters. Without it there is just too much guessing. What type of water do you use for water changes etc? Have you done any recent water changes that could possibly have caused the behavior? But lets start with tank param's

pH
temp
salinity
Nitrate
Nitrite
Ammonia

Cyphus
12/22/2003, 10:58 AM
This could be a case of electricity gone bad. I would check your powerheads and heaters to make sure one hasn't gone bad.

reefcrazy00246
12/22/2003, 12:42 PM
It couldn't have been electricity in my 20 gallon tank...everything is in check there. I'll look over everything again in my 90 gal.

I was talking to a couple of other people on here and they both mentioned choaking, and it sounds like that could be a good possibilty too. Ever heard of anything like that??

Thanks

Atticus
12/22/2003, 10:27 PM
I have heard of fry choking on brine shells, but never heard of full grown fish choking. Strange that it was in 2 different tanks with 2 different foods.

reefcrazy00246
12/22/2003, 11:05 PM
Atticus-Yeah, that is what I thought, too...I really didn't think very much of it when it happened the first time...but then it happened again. So, I thought I would see if anybody on here knew what was happening.

jjmg
12/22/2003, 11:11 PM
Are you sure you didn't have anyting on yor hands? Soap, aftershave, anything? I wash my hands then run them under water for at least 30 seconds while rubbing them before putting them in that tank. I also go further up than I'm going to be putting my arm in the tank.

reefcrazy00246
12/23/2003, 12:06 AM
Well, it wouldn't have been anything immediately before it happened. Because I didn't have my hands in the water. I was just feeding them, and I usually don't touch the food. Although, there may have been something on the utensils and/or the plate used. I dunno what it would be...they are washed in the dishwasher...but, may have a film of some sort on there yet. But, then I would have thought it would have affected the other fish too. But in the case of the 90 gal. all other fish were, and still are fine, along with all of my corals, too.

:confused:

jjmg
12/23/2003, 12:09 AM
No, I was thinking something on you hands. Mine are normally in the water when I feed.

Sorry can't think of anything else.

reefcrazy00246
12/23/2003, 01:11 AM
Yeah, I realize what you were saying.