PDA

View Full Version : hey fizz

sixpackrt
12/19/2003, 11:58 PM
is there anyway you can have it send us a email when the site
is updated?

GarSrtn
12/21/2003, 07:59 AM
Hijacking this thread for another question... Your script is what we need on the ncpars main site. Something that could be used to have a continual listing of frags. Members would be able to arrange trades/list items even when there isn't a swap comming up. Your thoughts?

bmkindig
12/21/2003, 10:16 PM
hey chris
good idea
later
brad

Tagamet
12/21/2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by GarSrtn
Hijacking this thread for another question... Your script is what we need on the ncpars main site. Something that could be used to have a continual listing of frags. Members would be able to arrange trades/list items even when there isn't a swap comming up. Your thoughts?

That's not a good idea, it's a GREAT idea!
Tagamet

Fizz71
12/22/2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by sixpackrt
is there anyway you can have it send us a email when the site
is updated?

I've been thinking about doing that. I've never sent email from this hosting company..if it's anything like the ASP Upload bull-sh*t then it will be a pain. I'd have to (or you folks would have to) decide how it would work. An email on every new frag entered? Evertime a frag was edited (like if more or less are now available)? or maybe just one email a day to notify you of what's new..that would be a pain since I don't know how to "schedule" things on that server.

I don't know..it's something we can discuss. The site says it supports CDO which is an email utility so they say it CAN be done.

What would you guys want?

--Fizz

Fizz71
12/22/2003, 09:32 AM

I agree, but I only code in ASP so the server has got to be an IIS box. I've been Bill Gate's b*tch since 1992..so everything I do is microsoft. However, most hosts use unix because it's much more stable and less likely to be hacked.

There is always also the option of keeping the site(s) where it is now, and just linking it from NCPARS. I have no problems with that..but you guys now know the occasional "issues" I have with my host.

We could look into a bigger system that tracks like you said. Kind of what we have now, but I'd drop the "request" and "promised" concept and let you deal via email. I'd also make it a little more powefull or atleast prettier. :) The current site was thrown together with some borrowed code and real basic fucntionality.

I will say this either way..not much will be happening between now and Christmas. I barely have time to use the bathroom let alone code a new system. :)

--Fizz

Tagamet
12/22/2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Fizz71

What would you guys want?

--Fizz

From the way that readsregarding difficulty, I'd want you to take a break! You're work on the swap site is Superb, and hugely appreciated. You already put enough of your time into building and maintaining the current site. Don't add more to your work load (at least until after the swap) (G).
Just my .02,
Tagamet

Fizz71
12/22/2003, 11:06 AM
I hear ya..and appreciate it...right now I'm just trying to finish up the holiday BS..The only thing I was planning to add between now and the swap would be some address and direction information..but that can wait for now.

--Fizz

GarSrtn
12/22/2003, 11:07 PM
Well, if you didn't mind my looking at (read: stealing) the code, I could probably translate it into something useable by a real os. ;)

Tagamet
12/22/2003, 11:13 PM
Well, if you didn't mind my looking at (read: stealing) the code, I could probably translate it into something useable by a real os. ;)

Hey, Fizz has done more for this swap than anyone with his website work. No wisecracks about "real os's"! How about you come up with a comparable site on your own with your os and we'll compare notes on the product.
Tagamet

Fizz71
12/23/2003, 12:31 AM
Not to mention IIS isn't an OS...it's a service. But hey..why be picky. :) And the code is nothing complex..simple SQL commands against an Access 2000 database. It's fast, and it works..provided my host isn't being a pain. It wouldn't be worth "stealing" the code..anybody with any database web development skills should be able to do it with no problems. The CSS I stole from another one of my intranet sites, and the whole layout of the site is based on that CSS...so there really is nothing to it.

--Fizz

GarSrtn
12/24/2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Tagamet
Hey, Fizz has done more for this swap than anyone with his website work. No wisecracks about "real os's"! How about you come up with a comparable site on your own with your os and we'll compare notes on the product.
Tagamet

Ouch. I wasn't trying to insult Fizz. Very sorry if that's how it came across. I was actually poking at Uncle Bill (Windoze vs Linux). In no way did I infer that his efforts on that site were poor, unwelcome, or unappreciated. Quite to the contrary I thought his idea was very spiffy. I also felt it could be used to a greater extent beyond the frag swap.

Fizz: I hadn't even bothered to click 'view source'. I assumed (we know what that means) from your reference to coding that you had done just that. I guess that's what I get for not thinking before typing... Still, there's no reason we couldn't do something on the permanent site for long term trades (have/want lists) after the swap.

Fizz71
12/26/2003, 03:44 PM
It's an ASP file. View source will only show you the resulting page, not the code that built it. The only way to see the actual source code is to get the file from FTP which only I can do. Most of the site is repeating loops against an access 2000 database.

And yes..long term "available" lists might be worth it for some...we can look into it after the frag swap is over. Then we can decide if we keep it on my server, or re-write it elsewhere. It makes no difference to me..I just do want to miss out anymore like I did at the first meeting. Having nothing to trade yet, makes it tough. I'll be taking about $150 with me to the next swap to pay off all the stuff I signed up for! :)

Hope everybody had a happy holiday..I spent my ill..and still am. Bah humbug.

--Fizz