PDA

View Full Version : actinics

Bullet
12/18/2003, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know if the the Coral Life power compact bulbs are true actinincs or are they just blue bulbs? I have heard both. Heres what I have...2-175 MH 10K Ushio and 2 sets of 65wt actinic PC's. I want to get more "blue" in my tank with the pc's because the bulbs are getting close to replacement and my MH's are new. If they are just blue bulbs will true actinics help and if so, where can I buy them? I want to keep using my pc's because I have them. I would appreciate any suggestions.

SoKaL ReeFiN
12/18/2003, 02:49 PM
I believe hellolight sells 03 pc's.. if you want more blue, CSL sells actinics that are quite blue..

lllosingit
12/18/2003, 05:39 PM
They are on sale...http://www.hellolights.com/55watacblu21.html

JEFF SCHENSE
12/19/2003, 12:29 PM
Corallife bulbs are the worse in the industry for color spectra/temp on their pc bulbs.

Custom Sea Life and some other manufacturers offer PC and other bulbs that offer truer spectra and color temperature on both their daylight and actinic bulbs.

The best source to purchase these bulbs is at www.championlighting.com. These guys will not sell Corallife bulbs. They are a very good outfit to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Atticus
12/19/2003, 03:01 PM
The pc actinics at hello lights look more like vho true actinics and NO actinics, but they do have a shorter life span. I have never been happier than with my Hello lights 03 actinics though. Tons of flouresence.

llebcire
12/30/2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by JEFF SCHENSE
Corallife bulbs are the worse in the industry for color spectra/temp on their pc bulbs.

Custom Sea Life and some other manufacturers offer PC and other bulbs that offer truer spectra and color temperature on both their daylight and actinic bulbs.

The best source to purchase these bulbs is at www.championlighting.com. These guys will not sell Corallife bulbs. They are a very good outfit to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Another basher...:rolleyes:

I would do your own research on CoraLife and draw your own conclusions. Just 'cause this company doesn't sell them don't mean squat...many companies will trash a product that they either can't get/can't compete with/can't make enough profit with.

dave2184
12/30/2003, 12:31 AM
Dont trash Coralife they dont make bulbs, Panasonic makes them for them, they just put them in thier fixtures.

JEFF SCHENSE
12/31/2003, 02:03 PM
I have tried several different sources for PC bulbs and have had my best luck with bulbs from Custom Sea Life and Hamilton. The bulbs I've purchased from Panasonic and Corallife have had a lot of variation. The last Corallife 50/50 pc bulbs had a very purple cast on the actinic side of the bulb. I've also had the same problem with Panasonic bulbs.

In discussion with other sources (LFS's, sales sources on the web, and people that have been doing the reef portion of the hobby longer than I have) have had the same experiences with Corallife bulbs as I have.

Jeff

llebcire
01/01/2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by JEFF SCHENSE
I have tried several different sources for PC bulbs and have had my best luck with bulbs from Custom Sea Life and Hamilton. The bulbs I've purchased from Panasonic and Corallife have had a lot of variation. The last Corallife 50/50 pc bulbs had a very purple cast on the actinic side of the bulb. I've also had the same problem with Panasonic bulbs.

In discussion with other sources (LFS's, sales sources on the web, and people that have been doing the reef portion of the hobby longer than I have) have had the same experiences with Corallife bulbs as I have.

Jeff

Very respectable response!

Apologetically, I tend to get a little edgy when someone makes a blanket "worst in the industry" statement instead of making an intelligent argument validating their opinion.

dave2184
01/01/2004, 03:36 PM
I agree that there bulbs are a little off from the others out there, but there fixtures seem to have less problems with bad fans and ballasts.

And as to true actinic or just blue they have both but they are not as bule as other brands.