PDA

View Full Version : Proper Water Parameters???

n1k16
12/18/2003, 02:38 PM
hey guys i have a 29 AGA with about 32 lbs of LR and 40 lbs of LS......one LTA one false percule 1 yellow tail damsel 1 green chromis and 1 diadema.....also have one CB shrimp and 2 peppermint shrimp 2 Emerald Crabs, and about 4 turbo snails, and a bunch of hermits/snails.....here are my water parameters.....this is a reef tank as well

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
ph 8.4 aprox
calcium 400
KH around 7.5-8

salinity 1.024

how are these params????ive been adding kent liquid reactor now to raise my calcium and KH and jsut wanted to make sure that these were good for the type of tank that im supporting....tell me if i need to change anything or start testing for something else...thanks a lot

Nick

n1k16
12/19/2003, 05:34 PM
anyone?

staticfishmonger
12/19/2003, 10:31 PM
sounds good to me for you have that should be fine. however i am still mastering the calcium and alkalinity aspects so i cant say for sure about those in particular.

n1k16
12/20/2003, 02:51 PM
thanks a lot....and does anyone know what the best ammonia detox is...i know kent and stress coat are good, but i need sumin that will take the phosphates and silicates out as well???is there such a product???cuz rite now i have a lil hair algae growth as well as red slime, and i would really like to get rid of it without harming all of my inverts

rmendis
12/20/2003, 05:46 PM
Those params look good. Great job so far!

If I read your post correctly, you have 4 fish and 1 anemone in a 29g. If so, that is a pretty high bio-load. I would keep a close eye on your nitrate. If your tank has cycled, there shouldn't be any need for ammonia removal. For removing phosphate and silicate, you could use Phosban or Marc Weiss Phosphate & Silicate Magnet. These are iron-based media which will not have adverse effects on any soft corals like the aluminum-based media. Also, use RO/DI water for water changes, and do not over-feed.

n1k16
12/20/2003, 08:26 PM
thanks a lot...i feed my anemone about 3 small silversides about 5 times a week...is this too much??cuz he jsut sucks em up immmeditaly and id say he is about 4-5 inches in diamter???i feed my other fish normally once a day....how is this schedule?

rmendis
12/21/2003, 01:36 AM
I'm not an expert, but I think your feeding schedule and amount is fine. It's just that the overall load of fish and inverts might be pushing it for a 29g. However, if you practice good husbandry and maintain regular water changes, I'm sure you'll manage. What skimmer are you using?

n1k16
12/21/2003, 12:42 PM
i am using an aquac remora with maxi jet1200 and preskimmer box....i also have athe CSL 130w pc system with 1 65w actinic and 1 65 w 10k daylight.....is there anyway i could add a metal halide maybe 150 watt of daylight to my system and make both my CSL lights actinic???becuz im not sure if my lighting is enough for coral and anemones????and if so has anyone ever done this??thanks a lot