PDA

View Full Version : does popeye spread???

rockdiver
07/07/2001, 10:49 PM
does popeye spread? clown has it and finally got him out and into the med tank but should I treat my reef with my other fish he was with?
diver

billsreef
07/07/2001, 11:08 PM
Pop eye is typically due to infection of a physical injury and is therefore normally only restricted to the one fish.

rockdiver
07/07/2001, 11:23 PM
There are no physical injurys at all looked him all over just the eye. the tang is his buddy and the cardinal mind his own business and the blue devil gets chased away by the tang or the clown if he wanders out of "his space" and into theirs. so really everyone more less gets along. What do I treat it with?
diver

billsreef
07/07/2001, 11:49 PM
The injury can be as simple as scratch from a mad dash into the rocks, doesn't have to be large enough for our eyes to pick up on.

The best antibiotics for this are Nitrofuran, SW Maracyn II or Kanacyn. Follow the directins and treat the fish in a seperate Q tank.

rockdiver
07/08/2001, 12:22 AM
THANKS i didnt know that
diver

Terry B
07/08/2001, 03:37 AM
If you read the correct dose from a veterinary manual or book on fish diseases they are much higher than what the directions say on most packages. My first choice for Popeye is usually Maracyn-Two at the double dose each day for 7 days. BTW, Bill is right that popeye does not usually spread.
Terry B

dawgfish
07/27/2001, 03:11 PM
I have a Flame Angel with a cloudy eye and it is slightly protruding (popeye?). He is in a 75 g reef, It would be impossible for me to remove the Flame without totally dismantling my tank (Lots of rock w/attached corals). Is it possible to dose the tank with antibotics listed above without harming my corals, rock, and dsb. TIA

billsreef
07/28/2001, 07:34 AM
The only thing I can think of that might be worth a try in the tank is Mela Fix. It is Tea Tree oil that has some antimicrobial properties. Some people have even used it on corals with some sucess.

Any traditionaly antibiotics need to be used in a seperate Q tank. They also would be the best bet.