PDA

View Full Version : Moving a 360gal

fruitbat
12/17/2003, 04:08 PM
I need a bit of advice.......

I am in the real early stages of planning a 360gal (96x36x30) and am coming up with a few problems......

It is inevitable that this tank will have to be moved in about 2-3 years time. Not far, but we gonna have to up and move, however we can't move yet (apparently!).

Anyone experienced moving a tank of this size? Livestock and all.

I'm thinkin just don't bother in the 1st place, but can't shake the need!

Also the tank will need to be stand alone (everything under the tank, or in the hood). Think I'll get it all in?

Thanks guys.

pondfrog
12/19/2003, 07:51 PM
Well, I'll let you know!
The fitting it all in part, anyway, I am moving a 300 gallon into my place in about 3 weeks.
I am consolidating from a behind the tank fish room someone had it set up in to an all under the tank concept.
It's gonnna be tight but I think I'll make it.
PM in a month if you are interested and havent' heard from me.
steve

mhurley
12/20/2003, 08:30 AM
best of luck pondfrog.

If it were me, I wouldn't put the tank up. I can't even fathom moving my 330. I'd sooner cut up the floor, put myself in the tank and make a casket out of the whole thing.

dellrio
12/26/2003, 05:26 AM
it took me my Girlfriend and 2 helpers an entire day to move my 125 gallon we used a truck, a minivan, and a honda, all full of buckets and the tank,stand, canopy in the truck - we moved the tank from a 3rd floor appt into a house 35 miles away - we then had to move it back to the town we were in origionally 1 month later - In 2 yrs we will probably have to move it again, only now we have many more SPS corals we only had 1 before. When we move the tank next time here is what we plan on doing... Getting our new place, setting up a new tank there letting it establish - move all our livestock - sell the old tank. After already moving a 125 reef 2 times i would reccomend that you get something a little bit smaller untill you are ready for a 'more permenant' residence. I dont think i would set up a tank that size unless i didn't plan on moving for like 10 yrs or something.

t1guyton1
12/26/2003, 10:51 AM
I have helped with two big moves. A 350 and a 250... Man what a weekend. The 350 was setup in the middle of a living room. Took 6 or 7 guys to carry out. Loaded on the back of a uhaul. The fish and corals were a pain too.. buckets everywhere. He lost several of each due to the move. I would suggest waiting or getting something ALOT smaller until you put down some roots...
IMO.....

Freed
12/26/2003, 11:02 AM
Hello fruitbat, my girlfriend and I moved my 180 about two years ago. It took us 10 hours on a Saturday. We moved everything into a spare 120 that I had. Moved all the corals, fish, inverts and liverock. Lost a purple pseudochromis which was sucked up into a powerhead I was using for circulation in the 120. I was sad for quite a while. Luckily that was the only casualty. Anyway took ten hours. 10 hours to move the tank 8 feet down the wall from the center of the living room to the end of the wall so we could fit a sectional sofa where the tank was. He%% of a way to spend the day. Everything is now remodeled and wouldn't want to do that again for another 10 years. Freed

KenT
12/26/2003, 11:37 AM
You need to be organized! Plan everything in advance. It will be very messy and time consuming. Break down all the equipment the day before except for powerheads and heaters. The day of the move pack everything into rubbermaid containers but only fill halfway so it does not spill and so they are not to heavy to carry. Livestock should survive no problem if they do not get cold during the move.

dellrio
12/26/2003, 11:06 PM
you can also rent thermally controlled vehicles where you can set a temperature and it stays that temp in the back of the truck - i guy i konw did that when he moved a couple large tanks from california to IA, the only problem was his friend driving that truck didnt notice the light on the dash that indicated that the thermal control was not working - he ended up losing everything - If you wanted to do something like this i might suggest a couple of thoes large rubbermiad agricultural containers (available in 75 gallon 100 gallon 150 gallon etc.) filled about 1/2 way with water and a power inverter controlling a couple powerheads in each container. Just take bumps slow and hope for the best - Also in thoes vehicles they can keep the thermal on overnight if your moving across country and needed to sleep or something - Another thing i would reccomed would be battery operated air pumps with airstones in the tanks.

mhurley
12/27/2003, 10:12 AM
When I moved my 120, I bought a rubbermaid stock tank and put it in the back of the moving truck. I build a lid for the thing out of plywood and put a rubber seal on it and strapped it to the tub with bungee cords. I moved everything into the tub the afternoon before the move, I plugged in 3 heaters and a couple powerheads and they all spent the night in the dark back of that truck (mind you, this is mid-November in Chicago and was quite cold).
Might be an option to consider...but still, it's was a big messy, nasty experience moving. Ugggggh.

Mike

reefer6
12/27/2003, 10:43 AM
Well , I have had practice at moving my 360 around the house. Here is what u do.
Buy one of those plastic grain pallets they are like $75 on line they are 4'x4'x42" they are roughly 240gal. fill it with tank water halfway and start tranfering essential livestock and some rock.
set up heater skimmer and powerheads to keep new tank stable.
Move the 360 into place and fill then put in sand let sit until clear then add rock and finally livestock. make sure u give yourself a couple of days tio get it done right no need to rush it and mess something up.
Hope this helps oh and when u are done sell the 240 gal bin off.
Murray

Salty in training
12/31/2003, 11:39 AM
I have 32 gallon Brute trash cans with the wheels on the bottom. The kind your jaintor used when you were in school. I would put in industrial strength trash bags in the trash can and then fill with about 25 gallons water. Then I would twist and close the trash bag. this kept any water from splashing around at all. This worked very vell.

With the industrial strength trash bags you could also put your LR in the cans with the tank water.

Good luck,

Torrey

dgasmd
12/31/2003, 12:31 PM
Well, this has given me some nice tips. I am actually planning a move of my 360g tank from MD to south FL. Yes, 1000+miles away. I was aware of this months ago, so I have been planning slowly for it. The truth is that I do expect to have some loses. Tearing up my system is going to take the better part of 2 days at least!:eek1: :eek1:

I will frag most corals that can be fragged and the ones that are small enough I will take as is. The mother colonies of the larger ones I will frag off to members of my local club and donate some to the National Aquarium in baltimore and to one of my LFS since they will be setting up a Show tank around that time. The fish I am likelt to give away or sell too with the exception of 3-4 that I will try to take with me. All the small frags, small colonies, and fish will take one of two routes:

1. They will go in a temporary stock tank until everything is packed and from there to smaller containers full of holes that will go in buckets with water, heaters, heat packs, and air stones. When I get to the destination, it would be back to the stock tank for about 1+ week until everything is set up again. Then, hope for the best.

2. They will go in the stock tank a buddy's home where they will sit for a couple of weeks until everything is set and running in FL. Then, I will have him send everything in styrofoam containers, which I already have and can get for free at work, overnight freight.

Choice number 1 has the highher likelyhood of mortality. Especially since I have to make 500+g of RO/DI water (days!) and have to also redo a lot of things in the system. Choice number 2 has the highest cost involved with it.

Of course, all this in addition to moving my entire house at the same time. That should be much simpler since I am having movers do that part. I wished there were movers for large tank systems.........:( :( :(

edfish
01/10/2004, 11:13 PM
I moved a 180 twice. In town and out of state.
In town: Used 5-6 new 35 gallon trash cans for rock + animals, sepaartely bagging up each animal as if I was buying them from a store. Floated bags in cans. Coordinated so movers could move the tank then worked all night to set up tank. Leveling was a 4hr ***** b/c it was an old building. Had to shim 1" accorss the front of the tank. NOTE: consider buying in bulk distilled water (probably $1/gallon) and have this deleivered & ready to save the several days of RO/DI cration.

Long distance: Bag up the animals and ship them to a store/friend for safekeeping then get tank set up at manageable pace.

Good luck!

Bocaswim
01/11/2004, 08:26 AM
Hey Dgasmd,

If you need help with your set-up when you get here (South FL)let me know. There are alot of RC folks in the area, and there is a guy who does high end tank installation for a pretty reasonable daily rate. Also if I can help temporarily hold any of your livestock for you I would be glad to.

Where in South FL are you headed? Private practice or Hospital Staff? There is a large group here in Boca of gassers and they are all clients of mine. Well at least their kids are.

Good Luck