PDA

View Full Version : Sump question - Rubbermaid

ChrisB
12/17/2003, 07:31 AM
I have a 150g rubbermaid livestock waterer that I am going to be using as a sump for my upcoming 400g display. I have found out the predrilled hole rubbermaid has in it is a 1 1/4" hole.

I haven't found a pump intake to match it.

Is there a pump that has a 1 1/4" intake? I was thinking of using an AM3k and teeing the flow to an above tank fuge and the remainder of the flow going back into the tank. But the AM3k has an intake of 1 1/2".

Can I come out of the sump with a 1 1/4" and then increase to a 1 1/2" before the pump?Seems like this would cause a flow problem.

I will be supplementing this flow with at least one closed loop on a separate pump in the large overflow compartment and maybe a couple of tunze streams (6100)

I know there are plenty of people using these rubbermaids for sumps. How are you doing it?

I was thinking of drilling my own hole but I can't find a flat enough surface due to the tank being oval shaped

HELP!!!!

Loudz34
12/17/2003, 08:59 AM
there are plenty of spots to drill your own hole... I have a 150 for a refu and a 100 for a sump on my tank.... also i dont believe that 1/4" will be a big flow problem... I have an iwaki 100rlt on mine and in the sump I have a double "y" fitting with three intakes facing down that are 1 1/2 to the 1 1/4" back to 1 1/2"
Havent had any problems besides the pump being a bit stong for the overflows even with dursos.....so i just throttled it back a bit

Also the factory holes have a problem of leaking all the time so it wont hurt to pull it out and put some silicone on it and put it back to gether and wait a day or so, I had to with both b/c they leaked... and tightning them didnt help at all...

ChrisB
12/17/2003, 09:11 AM
Where is a good place to buy a Iwaki 100rlt? I am definitely not set on any certain pump. Would you recommend this pump?

You didn't have any trouble sealing your bulkheads on your sump?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but why do you have pipes on the inside of the sump?

Thanks for replying btw...

Loudz34
12/17/2003, 09:17 AM
the pipes are for the intake, Just did it that way..no reason, but facing them down i got rid of alot of bubbles in the tank :-) But as far as sealing them, once i siliconed them all up and put them back together they are fine... As for the iwaki 100. if you have a 220 line back there you can get them alot cheaper from ebay such, and they will work the same, but marine depot has a pretty good price on them also.... nice pumps and are made for pumping at extened lengths( up to 38' I believe) I have mine at 14 or so feet...

Bono
12/17/2003, 09:52 AM
Have you looked into the Sequence pumps? I picked up a 5200 for about the same price as the Iwaki100 and at 4ft of head it has about double the gph with less energy consumption and it's super quiet as it has no fan.

ChrisB
12/17/2003, 10:03 AM
Ok, where is the best place to buy one? I didn't see them on Marine Depots site. May have missed it.

Thanks

mhurley
12/17/2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by ChrisB
I know there are plenty of people using these rubbermaids for sumps. How are you doing it?

I was thinking of drilling my own hole but I can't find a flat enough surface due to the tank being oval shaped

Mine is oval shaped too, but I just drilled holes on the long flat side...Mine is the 100 gallon version though, so it might be difference than the 150.

Bono
12/17/2003, 11:38 AM
I bought mine at AZ Ponds but if you go into the sponsors section, I know Customaquatic and myreefcreations has them. Just make sure you get the saltwater seals.