PDA

View Full Version : Ecosystem Sump

maffs
12/15/2003, 06:29 PM
Greg,

I have been greatly helped by your articles on sumps and I am now at the point of finally getting the system going.

I wondered if you could do me a favor and check if the following set-up will handle any overflow in case of a power-outage.

My main tank is 50 inches long by 17 inches wide by 24inches high. A weir is in place which is 10 inches by 4 inches with a durso standpipe.

Sump size: 30 inches long by 15 inches wide by 12.5 inches high.

Chamber 1 - 4 inches long.
Chamber 1/2 divider: 10 inches high but with gap at 4-5 inches to allow water through the gap.
Chamber 2 - 13.6inches long
Chamber 2/3 divider @ 8 inches high
Chamber 3 - 2.4 inches long
Chamber 3/4 divider: 1 inch gap at bottom of the divider which is 12 inches high.
Chamber 4 - 10 inches long

Any help you can give me on whether this will work in case of an outage would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew.

gregt
12/15/2003, 06:52 PM
This is like a word problem on an IQ test. :lol2:

Are all the dividers sealed on the bottom and the gap is on top?

maffs
12/15/2003, 07:08 PM
Sorry Greg.

The divider between 1 & 2 is sealed side and bottom with a once inch gap. In other words, there are actually two pieces of glass with a one inch gap between them.

The divider between 2 & 3 is sealed at the bottom and sides.

The divider between 3 & 4 is only sealed at the sides as there is a one inch gap at the bottom.

You can see a picture of this (dimensions are different though) at http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/html/miracle_application.html

Thanks,

Matthew.

gregt
12/15/2003, 07:30 PM
If I understand it correctly you should be fine. I estimate your max drain from the tank to be about 7 gallons and the available space in the sump to be 13.5 gallons. Give you some breathing room even. I'm not certain I understand though. I'm in a rush right now, hopefully later I'll have time to explain my calculations and let you check my assumptions....