PDA

View Full Version : Ocellaris and Haddoni Carpet Anenome

grif
07/06/2001, 09:22 AM
Okay, I read up and learned that these species very well might establish a relationship. The fish have been in the tank for 10 months or so, and I added the Carpet Anenome a month ago. The Clowns couldn't be less interested in the anenome.
Any ideas? Is this something that takes time? The clowns are tank raised, so maybe I'm hoping for something that will never happen.

Whattya think?

firechild
07/10/2001, 10:28 PM
The natural hosts for ocellaris and percula clowns are Heteractis magnifica, Stichodactyla gigantea and S. mertensii. Some people are lucky and have these fish taking up residence in other anemones but not always. How big is your tank and how big is the anemone? Have the fish adopted some other coral?

grif
07/11/2001, 07:26 AM
I had read this was one of their hosts. Maybe not. They have adopted my overflow rather than anything else. they just sit in the top corner of the tank and lay against the overflow. Strange.

Angel 1
07/11/2001, 09:31 AM
Well false percs do seem to have thier on ideas on what they should host with. Mine just started to hang around my hairy shroom a few days ago. The clown and shroom have been in the same tank for over a year. When I first got my clown it hosted with my purple whip and then I fell in love with my water return pipe and for the last 9 months or so its treated my maxi-jet as its host. The clown now spends most of the day around the shrooms but still goes back to the powerhead at night. I have read that false percs don't like to take host that are near the bottom of the tank(not much you can do about this since the carpet will just go were it wants to).

firechild
07/12/2001, 06:46 PM
Ocellaris and percs will often adopt macro-algae or a water or bubble stream as a host. This will make them feel more secure and less vulnerable, this is possibly due to the sensory stimulation similar to it being in the tentacles of the anemone. This is also the reason why many clownfish will adopt a soft coral, corallimorph or LPS as a host. But it is harder for people to get their larger more aggressive clowns such as Premnas biaculeatus or Amphiprion latezonatus to adopt an alternate host since they are less cautious of their surroundings.