PDA

View Full Version : Banggai tankmates

Drewman
07/06/2001, 01:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a mated pair of Banggai in a 45. The problem is that the male ALWAYS (we are talking about 11 or 12 times now) aborts the eggs before hatching. I have narrowed the cause down to harassment from other fish in the tank, mainly a yellow tang. Luckily, the tang is being moved in a matter of weeks/days to a larger tank, but I am still wondering if the male will feel comfortable enough to hold the eggs till hatching, he will be in the tank with a pair of percs and a royal gramma, has anybody had any trouble keeping these with mating Banggai? Thanks.

Drew

FMarini
07/06/2001, 10:17 AM
Hi:
to me the only way your gonna know ifd the male is "comfortable" w/ his sourroundings is let him try it. I have no idea if the new setup will be more family friendly, all fish are different, and on the surface the grammas and percs should be fine. But clowns to me are always a crapshoot, some can be territorial, others not.. Hard to say..i would just try it and see what gives.
Alternatively once the male has eggs try to capture him (at night when he's sleping) and place him in a Q tank byhimself
good luck
frank

skeeter
07/13/2001, 01:19 PM
I have a pair of Cardinals that the male has dropped the eggs 2 times in a row. Mine is a case of hunger I think. Since they stop eating for those 18-21 days he always aborts about day 15 and just starts eating food and the eggs are consumed by the other inhabitants. I have heard if you can corral him into a breeders net where he is still in the main tank he has a better chance of holding on to the eggs, a small bit of security goes a long way with Banggai and food is no longer a temptation as it is floating around in the main tank. Good Luck.

Drewman
07/13/2001, 04:52 PM
Thank you both!