PDA

View Full Version : Are These Fish Good? Need Help?

Reefer_Alex
07/05/2001, 03:29 PM
I have a 40gtank with the following dimensions, 30 inches long, 12.5 inches wide, and 24 inches high. I wish to keep the following fish but i need some expertise input because i am only reading what a reference says and experience is a much different thing. I am thinking about having 2 percula clowns, 3 green chromis, a baby yellow tang (once is starts to reach the size of maturity 3 inches, i plan to remove him, unless someone states otherwise.), a flame angel, (when tank later matures, a mandarin dragonet.) Are lemon-peels better than a flame angel? That is my list for now. Any suggestions will be valued if it is about the list of fish i have written or even suggestions of your own. Thankyou very much. :rolleyes:

scott324
07/05/2001, 03:48 PM
Forget the tang and mandarin!!!! The rest seem ok, I wouldn't even try the baby tang because you won't want to get rid of him and he will also be hard to catch. I don't know about the flame angel. Wait for others to respond on that one. You will never have enough food for the Mandiran and I have heard that they don't take to brine or anything else exceot what is living in your tank. HTH

JohnL
07/05/2001, 03:52 PM
Hi Alex, [welcome]

I'm moving this thread to our fish care forum where our resident experts hang out :D

hcs3
07/05/2001, 11:53 PM
reefer alex

refer to my other post. you need to get a list together. from there, we can work it into a co-existing habitat with a proper introduction order.

FWIW, i wouldn't put any tang into a 40g tank. i would also most definitely stay away from a lemon peel angel (extremely delicate and large)and the mandarin (do a search topic on this fish in the main forum). a yellow tang is hardly mature size at 3 - 4 inches. maybe 7 - 8 inches....

HTH

henry

Guy
07/06/2001, 07:59 AM
The Flame angel will be constantly stressed in a 40 gallon. I think the Perc's and the Chromis are an excellent choice. I wouldn't look at any fish larger than the perc's though. A few small gobies (skip the Mardarin, it will break your heart...) would round out your tank nicely. Clown gobies and/or neon gobies would be perfect. I agree with the above posters that a tang will be too stressed to thrive with less that 4 feet to swim in.