PDA

View Full Version : Sump Question

Bullet
12/13/2003, 08:31 AM
I have a 75 gal reef w/ a 20 gal sump. What is the best thing to use as filtration between the chambers? The less maintenance the better. Pictures of yours would be great. I went out yesterday and picked up a huge sheet of batting (the stuff they use for making quilts and blankets) and put a piece of that in there and it seems to be working great, but it will have to be cleaned and replaced all the time. It was only $3 so I don't fell bad for trying it. Anyway, let me know your opinions.

HOC
12/13/2003, 09:34 AM
I don't use any mechanical filtration other than a skimmer. I like to use natural methods to remove particles from the water. Critters, algae etc. You also have to watch for nitrate buildup if you don't change the pad enough. A little cloudiness in your water isn't bad if all your tests are OK. It helps to feed your tank.

But to answer your ? I think Sea of Marvels sells the blue pad in bulk pieces. Actually I have some of it if you're interested.

Coralfreak
12/13/2003, 10:00 AM
I agree 100%, I use no mechanical filtration other than a skimmer. It generally causes more problems than it solves, a refugium would be a future project to think about if you dont already have one.

Bullet
12/13/2003, 10:02 AM
yea, I got some of that from him one time...it was like 12 bucks and I blew through it in about a month because I had to change it every week or so. I did clean it in a sink and then soaked it in a little vinager and then rinsed with RO water. That made it last a little longer. This batting is about the same stuff and is a lot less expensive. I do like the idea of nothing. I have just thought you you need somthing to get the bigger particals filtered out right away.

Coralfreak
12/13/2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Bullet
I have just thought you you need somthing to get the bigger particals filtered out right away.

The problem with trapping fish waste, uneaten food etc., it that all your water now flows through this, and since it is trapped makes it diificult for the other life in your tank to consume it, ie snails, hermits, worms etc. If it is cleaned regularly it may be ok, however a filter pad can quickly turn into a Nitrate factory. Your skimmer will also remove these particles, and the big advantage is that a skimmer removes them from your tank. HTH

Allen

Bullet
12/13/2003, 10:38 AM
That makes sense. I am prettty good about cleaning them though because I have heard the same thing about nitrate build up. But since I am one to question what makes sense...is there anyone out there using somthing other than what I am using that has always worked for them.

Atticus
12/15/2003, 02:03 AM
I had used the white batting type material for along time and for the last year I have switched to no batting, no trickle plate, no bio-balls, and have never seen my tank happier. I would just pitch the stuff and let your live rock do the work.