PDA

View Full Version : concerned

HOC
12/11/2003, 07:05 PM
I've held my tongue as long as I could on this.... I'm all for posting feedback for good business experiences, but we need a single post for this purpose. We didn't create this club to make people money, and I for one read these posts to learn and help people out with their tanks. To me it's like commercials keep popping up on here, and I don't agree with it. If we let it go, in my opinion we'll end up with everyone trying to make a buck taking up our entire forum. That's not what it's for. I don't plug my coral business on here, and I don't ask people to do it for me. I think we need to start a feedback thread to help promote local businesses, and experiences. I'm all for knowing where the good stuff is in the state, and it's nice to know who to look out for. Lets not clutter up this forum with advertising etc. I hope all the others I've spoken to will back me up on this...I've kind of stuck my neck out here, but it needed to be said.....Chris

dellrio
12/11/2003, 10:08 PM
ya know.. i think thats a fantastic idea.... can we make a seperate forum for that?
anyhow.... i agree - sadly i am the one who has posted like 3 threads on buiensses.. =/ .. but i think your suggestion is great...

HOC
12/11/2003, 10:17 PM
Well, we could have it stuck to the top, but that's actually worse because it's there on top every time you get on here. It would be easy enough to search a regular thread and bring it back to the top if you had something to add.

I'd like to add, this thread wouldn't be for people to advertise, which several have done too. It will be for feedback only.

Some more opinions????

dknape
12/12/2003, 02:13 PM
There is already a forum for just this purpose. There is no need to start separate threads inside of the Greater Iowa Reef Society forum IMO.

Click here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8) to go to the Reef Central Vendor Experiences forum.

No advertising, just consumers describing their positive or negative experiences.

I am hoping that I have not offended anyone from plugging this forum (don't think that I have, but I also have a bad memory) :-)

HOC
12/12/2003, 07:09 PM
I think most people on here know about the Vendor feedback forum. I don't think that's what most are looking for here. We're talking about a feedback thread for local businesses (maybe within driving distance, or neighboring states).

Also, nobody is offended, but as the Vice President of this club I felt it was my responsibility to bring this to attention before it got out of hand.

In my opinion if you answer posts about your business and keep bringing it back to the top...You're plugging it. Not to mention your website is listed at the bottom of all your posts???

Pygmey
12/12/2003, 08:27 PM
I think that this concern is the very thing that kills reef clubs. I know of other clubs that have folded due to people getting fed up with commercials. I for one have not logged on here as regular lately because of that. I liked it when we all asked questions and the senior reefers could really help out.

I agree lets get back to what everyone was excited about!!

halfabrain
12/13/2003, 05:41 PM
if we're talking about lfs i see nothing wrong with a little heads up but not from stores across the country. i really haven't seen to many adds in here just a few people giving opinions about experiences that they have had. if you don't want to read it don't open it up. so far i don't think that it has been a real problem. i am and have been real happy with the content of this site. i think we should just make sure that it remains LOCAL and that alone should limit the number of commercials.

reef01
12/13/2003, 08:25 PM
I agree with halfabrain.....i see no problem with people posting good OR bad opinions/experiences on/with local shops, dealers, distributors, so on.... If you dont' want to read it...dont' open it!!! Nobody seems to have a problem when somebody posts a bad experience with lfs's or with internet sites...you see them ALL over on here!!!!! But once somebody puts up a post commending somebody on an experience they've had...all h*ll breaks lose?? Why is that?? Why can people not just post that they've had a great or good experience with somebody...and all be happy??

just my $.02 worth

bob

HOC
12/14/2003, 08:11 AM
If you would read the original post, it's not about doing away with anything. This post is about condensing it down to one thread. It also states not to advertise on here which I will stick to my guns on. All I'm trying to do is keep it from getting out of hand. Poeple don't like spam in their email, they don't like pop ups when on the internet. Why would they visit a reefclub site full of local vendor feedback? Think about it. I don't have to open those spam emails either.

reef02
12/14/2003, 08:59 AM
I agree with HOC. Also no need to get rude.

That's my $.02

Bill

dknape
12/14/2003, 11:39 AM
HOC,

Why don't you go ahead and create a new post titled "LFS Feedback & Experiences".

The pros of having it made a sticky is that members will not continue to create new posts when it disappears onto the next page.

The con of having it made into a sticky is that it will always be at the top of the list everytime we visit the forum.

I personaly do not see it as a problem or a nusiance being at the top as a sticky. I can ignore it just as I do the announcements, on most forums. :D My suggestion is, make it a sticky, if people don't like it there, un-sticky it later.

We can end this forum and get moving on to newer and better things.

pcmechanix
12/14/2003, 12:29 PM
I think we need to have a thread internal to the GIRS. One of the reasons I keep coming back to this forum is that I can find LOCAL vendors and stuff for sale. I don't disagree that there should be controls on the signal/noise ratio, but I don't want to search all of ReefCentral to find Iowa specific information. Just make a thread called "Vendors/Stuff for sale" and make it sticky.

HOC
12/14/2003, 01:22 PM
Man, that's exactly what I,ve been saying. Just not sure on the sticky thing. Glad to see this going in the right direction.

Atticus
12/14/2003, 06:53 PM
Are we gunning for actual businesses or Joe Reefer with some extra supplies laying around his house? I like this forum because I can find things I might need within driving distance. I also like to know who I am getting information from or for that matter giving it to. I can see your point on the advertising, but we need to know what to limit. Travis

HOC
12/14/2003, 08:08 PM
No, it's for the businesses. This club is here to help the reefers, not the businesses. I just don't like valuable informative content being pushed down the board and lost in all the adds. I'm just not sure there's a way to do it that will work. It makes sence to put it all in one place, but I don't think anyone will want it stuck on top.

I guess for now lets just leave it alone and see what happens. Anyone with Ideas can PM me. I was just posting a concern, and the point has been made. Lets stop this thread as it's really going nowhere.

dknape
12/14/2003, 08:31 PM
I suggest we make it go somewhere. We have all discussed and made valuable points and suggestions.

Let's put our thoughts into actions and create a new thread. Because of my affiliation with a online retail presence, I prefer not to be the one who makes the post. Someone, create a new thread titled "LFS Feedback & Experiences" and then let's ask Allen to make it a sticky.

At that time, HOC along with all those who would like to have such posts in one place, can have just that.

I only suggest to make it a sticky, so as to prevent duplicate threads existing in this forum. All LFS & customers can post feedback and experiences there.

Rules could be such: No advertising from LFS'. If you want to do this, become a RC Sponsor and you will have your own forum dedicated for this purpose outside of the GIRS forum. Only feedback regarding LFS should be posted in the forum. Don't use it as a thread to bash any LFS in consectutive posts, but make it so each LFS can benefit so as to offer better services or products if neccesary.

I am coming up with these on the fly. Next step is for Chris or Allen to make a thread for this purpose. It is up to them to make it a sticky or not and then to get the word out about its existence.

Great? Great! :D

HOC
12/14/2003, 09:36 PM
Ok, I "got it up".hehe..Non stuck for now...Please stop posting here.Thanks...Chris