PDA

View Full Version : New 300g Advice Please

TNREEF
12/11/2003, 10:53 AM
Here goes.
After much planning & saving I am getting the 300 up and started.
Any problems you see please let me know.

Display 300g 96"x24"x31" - Twin Oaks
Refuge. 125g 72"x24"x18" - Twin Oaks
Dual Sumps 65g Rubbermaid Stock Tanks

Plumbing: 6000 gph turnover TOO Much??
Amp Master 3000 Return @ 5' head 2800 gph
2 X Closed Loop GenX/Mak 4 2x 1200 gph
Mag 12 for Refuge Feed @ 6' head 800gph

Skimmer:
Toss up Right now Between
Aerofoamer 830
&
Euro Reef 12/2
Any input from respected owners appreciated.

Calcium Reactor:
I have always dosed and need a little help deciding what would be the best reactor for my setup. I want to have the option to stock SPS & clams (heavy).

Lighting:
Main Display
4 x 250W XM10K running on PFO HQI Ballasts(Magnetic)
4x 46" VHO Actinic On Icecap 660
Refuge
2x 175W 6500 K Reverse Cycle
4 x 55W Grow lights

Chiller:
1/2hp Pacific Coast Inline

I want to add a Neptune Aqua Controller. Anyone use X-10 controll with a VHO Ballast?

6" DSB in both the Main Tank & Refuge.(Southdown)
Approx 200 lbs. LR
Approx 200 lbs. Base Rock.
RODI Water.

Any feedback on the equipment is appreciated.
Most items are new purchase.

Thank you
Darryl

:smokin:

Nagel
12/11/2003, 10:56 PM
Well, I have a 300 as well, same dimensions (that's 30" tall right?)

Anyway, can't comment on the skimmers as I have the Turboflotor 5000 single. Can't say enough good about that monster, it just rocks....

As for flow though, with a sandbed, that much flow will rearrange your sand regularly. I have an AM3K as my return pump and initially I had 2 Iwaki 55's for 2 closed loops and that constantly rearranged my sand. Thats about 1000g less an hour then you are proposing.. I removed one iwaki, and replumbed the two loops to use just one iwaki now..

The lighting sounds fine, though you may want to consider 400 watters if its a 30" deep tank, I have 3 x 400w iwasaki and 2 IceCap 660's powering 4 x 3' and 4 x 4' bulbs (50/50 mix of actinics and aquasuns)

You will need a chiller, dunno much about the Pacific Coast model, I have a 1/4 hp aqualogic on my system (total system gallons is 700, chiller is highly underpowered for the tank, but with the volume it works out pretty well, you'll be happy with a 1/2 hp)

I also use x-10 to control all my lights, and the BIGGEST thing I found to be a problem is powerstrips. If you plug the modules right into a wall-socket, they are somewhat flawless, but powerstrips make the modules very unperdictable. The IceCap ballasts dont seem to interfere with my x-10, but I did cut the local control wire in each module.

HTH

TNREEF
12/12/2003, 08:31 AM
Thank you Nagel

I had considered the 400 w MH. The choice of 400w bulbs is not the best plus with my 6"DSB My actual depth for the light to penetrate would be closer to 24".
I was already considering the dual closed loop would be a little much. I will plumb for 2 but only start with 1 & see how it goes from there.
I am glad to hear the x-10 will work with the Ice cap as I definatly want to go with the Aquacontroller.

Thank you for your input.
Darryl

lilbuddy
12/12/2003, 09:39 AM
im setting up the same size tank and am going with 250w mh 400 are going to produce a lot of heat. Another reefer who has the same size tank ran 4 mh 2-10k 2-20k and no vhos this is also something to think about.

I am diy'ing my skimmer and reactor. Im actually buidling an ASM skimmer.

amp master 3000 return w/ 2-1" sea swirls

KenT
12/12/2003, 10:49 AM
I run the Aerofoamer 848. Can't say enough about the quality and how well it works, easy to clean. Customer service is great. If you ever need anything Frank will make you a priority.

I would go with a shallow sand bed. There has been a lot of talk about DSBs and possible problems. Mine is mostly there for appearance.

The lighting on the fuge seems to be a lot. If you think you might want to save some money I would go with VHO.

Go with a Myreef calcium reactor. Great product for a great price.

TNREEF
12/12/2003, 02:09 PM
Ken,

Actually the fuge lights will be taken off my current tanks. Since they will just be collecting dust I figured why not.
Per Dr.Ron's advice I decided to stick with the DSB. I am always tinkering so if I had to change out 25% of the sand bed at every 10 - 12 months I could live with it.
Reactors seem to be narowed down to either a Myreef CR-4 or a MTC Procal. (Notice both are dual chamber). Advice any one else?

Ken - Your response per Reef Concepts is the main reason I would spend the extra $200.00. Just to get the service and 1 of the best skimmers i have researched.

I have also been looking @ replacing the closed loop with Wave2Ks Any advice?

It is looking like it will be the start of March before anything gets wet but I am going to busy until then.
I will be posting pics as the setup gets closer and I am sure a lot more questions.

Any other Ideas?

I have spent thousands of dollars on my current tanks and would rather spend more now than later. Prices are always a factor but I would rather have a product that works and does what I need than save a few bucks.

Thank you
Darryl

bstone
12/14/2003, 10:37 AM
I have a 250 gallon tank with 2 closed loops and a sump return to 3 Sea Swirls. My turnover rate is around 42x, and I love it. I have Sequence pumps. I would highly recommend these pumps. Very reliable, quiet, and powerful. I have 2 250 10k bulbs and 1 400 10k bulb in the middle, with VHO actinic lights in the front and back.

I am also buying the 1/2HP (heater/chiller) from Pacific Coast Imports.

mhurley
12/14/2003, 03:59 PM
I've got a similar tank..96x30x30.
I've got 2 AM3K's, one on the return through 1" sea swirls, the other on a closed loop. I also recently added 2 Tunze Stream 6100's on opposite ends of the tank. So all told, I have about 10,000 GPH of movement. I have a DSB in the display as well and had some trouble in the beginning with it getting rearranged, but it's good and settled now.

Lighting could be fine for you, I'm running 4x400 watters. I just like to be sure I can get full strength to the bottom of the tank and I keep some very light demanding SPS at the top. Be warned, 400's are hot and will require a good chiller.

Equipment wise, I always throw a plug out to Andy at MyReef. My skimmer (MR3), Kalk reactor and Calcium reactor were all made by him. I really like his products.

I use the aquacontroller, but don't have electronic ballasts...except for my one T5 ballast. I love this little toy..It's a life saver.

Good luck and keep your checkbook handy.
Mike

Aged Salt
12/14/2003, 05:11 PM
Could'nt agree more with MHurley on MRC products--great design,function & price,Bob

mikesos1
12/14/2003, 06:49 PM
I thought I would jump in and see if I could help out on the X10 issues you guys were talking about.

My day job is installing and programming home automation systems that range form simple X10 to fully wired totally automated "Smart Homes".

Power strips have a "Surge suppressor" circut in them that will filter out X10 signals. This circut however is completely ineffective in suppressing a surge of any size.

I have in the past opened up power strips and bypassed the "surge" circut. The wires comming into the strip are color coded White, Black, and Green. They will enter the circut. There will also be brass buss bars the make up the outlets on the strip, these will have the same color wires.

Just use Butt Splices and connect the colors together, bypassing all the electronics in there and your X10 will work like a champ.

Just be carefull not to overload your outlets and there will be no danger. Also X10 companys make powerline filters. Using these on the pumps in the system will also greatly enhance reliability.

Hope this Helps.

dgasmd
12/14/2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by TNREEF
Here goes.
After much planning & saving I am getting the 300 up and started.
Any problems you see please let me know.

Display 300g 96"x24"x31" - Twin Oaks
Refuge. 125g 72"x24"x18" - Twin Oaks
Dual Sumps 65g Rubbermaid Stock Tanks

If the tank is not already made, go with 36" wide and 24" tall instead. 31" doesn't sound like too deep, but the cleaning will be a PITA very soon.
:smokin:

Plumbing: 6000 gph turnover TOO Much??
Amp Master 3000 Return @ 5' head 2800 gph
2 X Closed Loop GenX/Mak 4 2x 1200 gph
Mag 12 for Refuge Feed @ 6' head 800gph

Turnover should be fine I wuold put 2 eductors on each of the mak4 pumps in the close loops. You can save electricity and redundancy of pumps by having the overflows drain into the refugium and that gravity drain into the sump. That is what I do and works perfectly.

Skimmer:
Toss up Right now Between
Aerofoamer 830
&
Euro Reef 12/2
Any input from respected owners appreciated.

I have an aerofoamer 848 on a iwaki 100 and it rocks. I think they would do much better with multiple becketts, so if I was to buy one I would ahve the 830 have 2 becketts and the 848 ahve 4. That is jsut me though. Have never had a euroreef, so I can't comment.

Calcium Reactor:
I have always dosed and need a little help deciding what would be the best reactor for my setup. I want to have the option to stock SPS & clams (heavy).
[/QUOTE}

Go with a GEO reactor. Have him make you a taller one than his standard. He is very reasonable as far as price on custom work. You'll never regreat it.

[QUOTE]
Lighting:
Main Display
4 x 250W XM10K running on PFO HQI Ballasts(Magnetic)
4x 46" VHO Actinic On Icecap 660
Refuge
2x 175W 6500 K Reverse Cycle
4 x 55W Grow lights

Lights sounds fine to me. I personally prefer the electronic ballasts, but that is personal preference only. I would skip the 2x175watt in the refugium and do NO bulbs only. Too much electricity usage for overkill lighting where not needed at all. Mine has 4x40 NO bulbs and the stuff is growing like there is no tomorrow. It is a 100g refugium by the way.

Chiller:
1/2hp Pacific Coast Inline

sounds fine, but I would go to a 3/4HP unit. It may be overkill, but you rather have extra on such a large and expensive piece of equipment. Should you ever get a bigger tank or upgrade lights you'll be glad you ahd the extra juice. The price difference is neglegible.

6" DSB in both the Main Tank & Refuge.(Southdown)
Approx 200 lbs. LR
Approx 200 lbs. Base Rock.
RODI Water.

Skip the sand altogether. Good skimming and good flow with plenty of rock and you don't need the hassles and headaches the sand bed will bring in the long term. You will regreat having it there in the future.

I hope that helps.:D :D

TNREEF
12/15/2003, 04:21 PM
Glad to here about the aerofoamer. Thanks

I will check out the GEO reactors

Chiller has already been purchased. I could not pass up the deals PA was offering last week.

I want to keep the 30" heigth I like the look, but I may look into the 36" depth.

Could someone explain the Educators to me I have seen them in other posts but I do not understand how they work.

Very glad to here about the x-10

Thank you all
Darryl

brettco22
12/15/2003, 04:52 PM
aerofoamers are # 1

dgasmd
12/15/2003, 09:56 PM
It is actually eductors. They are sort of like a venturi and work on that principle. You put them in the output of your pump inside the tank and they have a smaller orifice for the water to go out. It creates a lot of pressure inside and when the water comes with high velocity, it picks up more water from the sorrounding are and increases the total flow output by 5 times. The only thing about them is that they must be used with a pressure rated pump and the more pressure they can create the more flow one can get out of them.

Do a search here in RC and you'll find tons of info on them.

TNREEF
12/16/2003, 05:25 PM
:confused: :smokin:

Well that was an informative search.(guess it helps to spell it right):D

OK lets add 4 x 3/4" eductors have not found the right pumps yet.
dgasmd: I found your Point with the DSB.:blown:
Starboard Reef #????:D
No Flow problems either.:bounce1: :beer:

For the return pump has the seal problem been fixed with the Ampmasters? Should I be looking at a different brand?

Thanks again everyone.
Darryl

dgasmd
12/16/2003, 07:11 PM
One thing you can do if you don't already ahve the mak 4 pumps is to get an iwaki 100 for the return and run 4 eductors with it. Then, for the close loop, you can get a single SEQUENCE 5800. I ahve an am3000 and ahve never had any problems with it, however, I know tons of people that ahve and will not risk it again. Also, the sequence pumps are so much cheapper and much better built. That is just my preference only and I would highly encourage you to look for yourself and make your mind up based on your search and not just my opinion.

Bono
12/17/2003, 09:17 AM
I recently sold my 400 gal as we are moving and I am in the planning stages of my next tank, hopefully to be built in. Have you looked into the Tunze Streams? I used a pair of the 6100's on my 400 and they were awesome. They use only like 45w and the pulsing action is great. The only problem I had is my DSB would get blown around no matter what I did, so in my next tank I'm going with a thin layer of CC (just for looks) and a DSB in my fuge only.

I have to second the Sequence pumps, I am very impressed by how powerful and quiet they are and for large pumps they are pretty energy efficient.

After reading tons of skimmer info, I ended up getting a Aerofoamer 848 and the customer service from Frank was great. I had a ER12-2 in the past and really like it but I would probably have gone to a 12-3 or 4 and didn't want to deal with 4 pumps and the warranty hassles ER has.

Good luck
I love this stuff.