PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a used float valve for topoff sys?

Tagamet
12/09/2003, 12:42 AM
Anyone have a used float valve for topoff sys? It's on my wishlist for the swap (or sooner).
TIA,
Tagamet

zooqi
12/09/2003, 01:22 AM
I have them if you want one. I have used them but I don't trust them and make sure your top off container is not too big.

sixpackrt
12/09/2003, 01:46 AM
lol i was going to ask mo the same thing
i seen on in his van and forgot to ask him about it

Tagamet
12/09/2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by zooqi
I have them if you want one. I have used them but I don't trust them and make sure your top off container is not too big.

Thanks Mo,
Figure out what you want for it and I'll pay you when I bring the school coral down (maybe tonight - Tuesday).
Tagamet

zooqi
12/09/2003, 09:48 AM
Tag: I will be in town and out,, you can call me to check 337 9069 ..
Pack: that one is coralife and is new and I have them all over the house and in the cars.

beerman0831
12/09/2003, 12:24 PM
Hey Mo if you have an extra one i could use one too.LMK how much.

millisec
12/10/2003, 02:10 AM
I almost wiped out a tank one time with a damn Tsunami AT topoff that stuck on and pumped 25+ gallons of ro/di water into a 90g I had. Fortunately I caught it in time and had plenty of salt on hand (and my 50g container was only half full). And of course fortunate I had a 45g sump that was in my unfinished basement.

The Kent float valves usually leak and are only suitable for hooking up a ro/di to a topoff container IMO.

Topoff has always been my biggest pain in the A, especially during winter months, and I have yet to find a good solution. Well if you want to spend a small fortune on a reliable electronic doser maybe...

Tagamet
12/10/2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by millisec
I almost wiped out a tank one time with a damn Tsunami AT topoff that stuck on and pumped 25+ gallons of ro/di water into a 90g I had. Fortunately I caught it in time and had plenty of salt on hand (and my 50g container was only half full). And of course fortunate I had a 45g sump that was in my unfinished basement.
The Kent float valves usually leak and are only suitable for hooking up a ro/di to a topoff container IMO.
Topoff has always been my biggest pain in the A, especially during winter months, and I have yet to find a good solution. Well if you want to spend a small fortune on a reliable electronic doser maybe...

I was just going to hook it up to a gravity feed container of RO/DI to the float valve in the sump. Although there are no pumps involved, I also don't want yet another flood. Is this not a good idea? I too, HATE dumping water in the sumpS every day. I was also hoping it'd add to a more stable salinity level. Ideas?
Tagamet

sixpackrt
12/10/2003, 06:38 PM
IM going to do the same thing
one thing i would make sure you do make sure salt creep doesn't
build up on it id check it once a week make sure it moves freely

Ron

Sanjay
12/10/2003, 07:01 PM
Never hookup a direct line from a RO unit to a float valve into the tank. Its a reciepe for disaster waiting to happen.

The best way is to limit the amount of water that can get dumped into a tank by accident. Have a slow feed device (like a reeffiler pump) doing the top off, so even if things go wrong you have time to react and fix them.

The strategy that I currently use is as follows.

1) A automatic shut off valve on the RO unit that shuts off when a refill container is full.
2) A reefiller pump is used to pump from the refill containier into the tank
3) The reefiller is controlled by a another automatic switch.

The 2 worst case scenarios that can happen with this system are
1) if the refill float switch fails to close, there is RO water on the floor
2) if the reefiller fails to shut off, then I get at most 2-3G of fresh water in the tank over 24hrs.

I am using the Tsunami pressure activated solenoid. I like these because they have no moving parts in contact with water.

sanjay.

millisec
12/11/2003, 05:03 PM
Good idea Sanjay... One more precaution to prevent overfill. That limited flow reef filler would have stopped my previous mishap. I see the prices are down on the pumps starting at $179 at championlighting. I'm probably going to get one myself.

However Tsunami pressure activated solenoid that screwed me before. No moving parts but air bubbles etc. can affect it.

Heres what I'm going to put together as my new config

Kent Maxxima with shutoff valve (it can stick too but just wastes water then)

Maxxima to Kent float valve on topoff container

Reef Filler drawing from container attached to Tsumani(for redundancy and peace of mind).

Tagamet
12/11/2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Sanjay
[B]Never hookup a direct line from a RO unit to a float valve into the tank. Its a reciepe for disaster waiting to happen.
:D

This much I knew (g) My RO/DI unit has it's own float valve that shuts it off when it's 30 gallon container is full. From that container I was going to move 5 or 10 gallons of RO/DI into a continer that would gravity feed to the sump when allowed by it's own float valve.
If and when I get the $, I do hope to buy somthing like a litre meter to constantly top off the system, but that won't be for a LONG time.
Thanks,
Tagamet

zooqi
12/15/2003, 12:50 AM
Beerman: I see them once a while around and my boys likes them as toys so I'm sure I can find one in thier toy box..

Tag:
Originally posted by Tagamet
:D

[i] If and when I get the $, I do hope to buy somthing like a litre meter to constantly top off the system, but that won't be for a LONG time.

and I do have a used one of those too. You waled by it a few days ago when you were here.