PDA

View Full Version : Free Weeds

Franks Reef
12/07/2003, 09:50 PM
If anyone is in need of some free macro algae, I need to harvest some from my refugium. I have several different types (except grape colerpa:mad: ). It will come with critters also. I can give you some mysis shrimp, bristle worms and some pods if you would like. Let me know.

Franksreef@yahoo.com

skearse
12/08/2003, 08:30 AM
Frank,

I am definately interested-how long before you need to harvest? I've had a few issues getting the sump going but I am going to try to get it in this weekend-if not; maybe it can go a little while in the sump or quarantine tank.

Stacy

WAGERJA
12/08/2003, 08:55 AM
I am definately interested also,
need grape I have tons. I tried to give some away last month with no takers. Is a 1gal bag full enough?

J

ps Stacy have enough for you to if you want.

seaham358
12/08/2003, 09:44 AM
After a few of us had the grape go sexual and funk our tanks up I don't think your going to be able to give it away. I thought I had it all out put I see I missed1 piece and it is now across the back of the fuge. It will be coming out as soon as 1 grape turns white.

Frank what you got. Im looking for some of the red micro algae.
I have a bunch of razor if anyone is interested.
Stacy let me know if you want some and I'll pull it out when you need it.

WAGERJA
12/08/2003, 09:59 AM
I light my fuge 24/7 and have never had it go sexual(almost two years and counting). I think thats the key to keeping all macros from going sexual.

J

nine9d
12/08/2003, 10:20 AM
Man, yet another thread getting me all excited and than upset at the same time.

I guess macro algae is not exactly what I was thinking of when I saw "FREE WEED"! LOL.

Forgive me, it is Monday and I am always in a different state in the morning hours.

skearse
12/08/2003, 10:42 AM
I'm not even sure what I need. I thought I wanted grape, but if ya'll had problems with it, I'm not so sure. Maybe Halimeda; I am open to suggestions. I've got some of the Red Gracilaria growing on a piece of my LR; I'll probably put some of it into the fuge, too. Bob, if this is the stuff you are looking for, let me know (red-maroon, transparent, almost like cellaphane). I may not have enough of it to give you a whole lot, but it seems to be growing at a pretty good rate in the tank right now.

Tomzpc
12/08/2003, 12:13 PM
Eric Borneman, in the latest issue of Reefkeeping here on RC, recommends that caulerpa macros not be used in a refugium because of their potential toxicity towards a reef tank.

Franks Reef
12/08/2003, 01:51 PM
I don't have grape colerpa by choice. I was tired of being stressed out when it turned white/green speckled color (going sexual?) so I took it all out. As you can see from this picture, I have almost every other type. And alot of it. This is a 50 gallon tankful!
:eek1:

WAGERJA
12/08/2003, 02:24 PM
looks great!
maybe I'll switch my fuge over to non-caulerpa Sp. of macros.

e-mail or PM when and where you would like to meet up. Stacy too?

J

ChrisRD
12/08/2003, 03:48 PM
I like Chaetomorpha.

Franks Reef
12/08/2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRD
I like Chaetomorpha.

Is that the stuff that looks like a green brillo pad? If so, I have a bunch of that too! The reef bugs and worms love hangin' out in it!!

Tomzpc
12/08/2003, 08:40 PM
Looks awesome Frank! One of these days I'll set up a fuge.

masterswimmer
12/08/2003, 09:42 PM
Hey Frank, looks great. I'll be in the market within 4-6 weeks. Hopefully you'll be ready for another harvest around then.

Russ

ChrisRD
12/09/2003, 02:00 AM
Yup, that's the stuff!:)

Originally posted by Franks Reef
Is that the stuff that looks like a green brillo pad? If so, I have a bunch of that too! The reef bugs and worms love hangin' out in it!!

Franks Reef
12/09/2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by masterswimmer
Hey Frank, looks great. I'll be in the market within 4-6 weeks. Hopefully you'll be ready for another harvest around then.

Russ

Yeah Russ,

That's about how often I harvest, let me know when your ready

masterswimmer
12/09/2003, 07:30 PM
thanx buddy, I will

Russ

Franks Reef
12/09/2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by WAGERJA
looks great!
maybe I'll switch my fuge over to non-caulerpa Sp. of macros.

e-mail or PM when and where you would like to meet up. Stacy too?

J

Get in touch w/ me and I will get you some weeds and bugs. I will e-mail you my cell #

Franks Reef
12/09/2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by skearse
Frank,

I am definately interested-how long before you need to harvest? I've had a few issues getting the sump going but I am going to try to get it in this weekend-if not; maybe it can go a little while in the sump or quarantine tank.

Stacy

I will hold onto some for you for a week. Let me know when your ready

Frank

skearse
12/10/2003, 08:40 AM
Will do. If not this time, maybe I can grab some for the next time.

Thanks again.