PDA

View Full Version : Want feeder fish?

Aquarius Lady
12/05/2003, 10:56 PM
For those attending the December meeting, I am still too new in the hobby to offer any frags yet, BUT... I do have a ton of healthy feeder guppies in all sizes from newborns to up to around 3/4 inch. If you have any fish that require live TINY food I can spare some feeder gupp's at the meeting to whomever wants.
I also have a small amount of green grape caulerpa I can share with one or two folks.
But I need to know on either one, so if you need a few guppies and/or some starter caulerpa (Plant frags <eeg>) :D
Let me know in this thread or via email.
If anyone has any Pods they can part with (Starter culture) I'm intrested I will work next month on fragging some 'Shrooms for folks (after I sucessfully learn how! LOL) Still have some room in my tank so if anyone has something up for sale or extra let me know.

Aquarius Lady
12/05/2003, 11:00 PM
I also have a couple of NICE breeding pairs if anyone needs some to start a colony of their own or just extra proven breeders to enhance their own live guppy group (I think I may need to set up an additional tank for these guys and raise thousands of them!
These are all real healthy feeder guppies, disease free (antibiotic free) and fed vitamin enhancing and color enhancing food.

minfinger
12/06/2003, 08:30 AM
Talk to Chris about selling them to the store. He might be interested.

Aquarius Lady
12/06/2003, 10:18 AM
Heck I'll just keep 'em and continue breeding if I get no takers ;) I was just offering to my fellow club members since I know some feed pinpoints(newborns) and babies to seahorses and a variety of other carnivorous fish. So eventually if anyone DOES need some for (Seahorses, pipefish or others) they are available to you. I breed them specifically for my own fish in the 150 brackish tank and for some of my firebelly toads. Eventually I might like to get into Seahorses as well, and after talking to Skip, I knew that some small guppies and newly born ones are often used for feeding them. I had also heard that feeding Goldfish was not as recommended (to saltwater fish such as groupers, etc) since they were more fatty and not as nutritious as say Glass/Grass Shrimp, and guppies were rated far safer than goldfish (For carnivorous fresh and SW fish). In the past I had lost some really nice Fresh/brachish and even SW fish (years and years ago) due to "bad" or diseased goldfish :(

skipm
12/06/2003, 12:12 PM
Actually guppies aren't very good food for seahorses either, they require something that is higher in HUFAs (highly unsaturated fatty acids) in order to thrive. You may be able to use a few on occasion as a treat but not as their regular diet. Also most people involved with seahorses encourage the keeping of only captive bred seahorses, they are trained to eat frozen already (mysis shrimp) with the exception of dwarves which must have live baby brine shrimp. Another consideration when feeding live food to captive bred seahorses is that they don't have the natural defenses that a wild caught seahorses does and you can introduce something into the tank they may not be able to cope with when feeding live food, this of course should't be the case with the freshwater guppies. Skip