PDA

View Full Version : Pairing neon dottybacks

ravenmore
07/01/2001, 10:29 AM
Hi - this is my first time to post in this forum. What a wonderful resource! Suprised I didn't come across it sooner!

The reason I'm here is that I have a neon dottyback (p. aldabrensis. Sorry, sure I totally butchered the latin spelling. Just wanted to differentiate that it wasn't the p. dutoti <again probably mispelled> version). I want to pair him up. Partially because I simply think it'd be neat and partially because, if it's not toooo difficult, I'd like to tank raise some fish and sell them back to the lfs.

So, how difficult is it to pair them up if you don't have a pre-existing pair? I don't want to start WWIII in my tank. (btw, I noticed petco near me has what appears to be 5 or 6 juvies, in the same tank no less!!! :eek1: )

Also, any thoughts on how difficult of an undertaking this is? :)

Thanks,
-Mike

ravenmore
07/09/2001, 10:11 PM
wow, guess this was a real barn burner......

Bass_Cadet
07/10/2001, 01:18 AM
OK, I'll take a stab at it.

I had two neon dottybacks in a 20 gallon and I'm pretty sure they paired up and spawned after a few months. I was/am busy with the orchid dottybacks so I didn't pay too much attention to them. The larger one [male] took to a PVC den similar to the orchid dottybacks. The smaller neon [female] looked gravid from time to time, similar to the orchid female. Unfortunately the female disappeared a couple of months back and I never found her. I think 20 gallon is too small for neons since they are quite aggressive.

My opinions:
1. Their mating habits seem similar to orchid dottybacks so if you have not read Martin Moe's _Breeding the Orchid Dottyback_ book, that should be your first move. Even if you decide not to breed them, it's worthwhile to read. There's also a lot of other useful info about breeding dottybacks on the internet.

2. They are not difficult to pair up and spawn, but they are aggressive and need room.

3. Unless you have easy access to wild plankton (i.e. live near the ocean), it'd be difficult to raise the larvae.

4. Don't expect to make money breeding marine fish.

greg

ravenmore
07/10/2001, 02:19 PM
Greg - thanks. I'm more interested in pairing them up first. Not sure if I want to raise 'em, although I'm curious as to how it's done. Unfortunately, my searches on the internet didn't turn up a lot a valuable info, other than to say it could be done. I'll look for the book you mentioned.

-Mike

Bass_Cadet
07/11/2001, 01:09 AM
There might not be much on neon dottybacks specifically, but there is information on other Pseudochromis sp. that is directly applicable. Try google.com with 'breeding pseudochromis'.

Here's one in particular:

http://www.breeders-registry.gen.ca.us/Reprints/FAMA/v19_june96/dotty.htm

If you don't know about the Breeder's Registry (http://www.breeders-registry.gen.ca.us/), that is one of the first places to visit for info about breeding marine organisms.

HTH,
greg