PDA

View Full Version : fragging question?

bmkindig
12/05/2003, 01:25 AM
anyone every frag frogspawn i have a nice peice of frogspawn that has 2 babies on it but i'm not sure if i can just cut and paste them or what,and can just anypart of it be cut off or do they just have babies branch off i ask because, i thought i knew what i was doing with my candycane and killed it slowly 1 polyp at a time broke my heart watching it die.
also i have a red sea fan that is getting to big for the area that it's in can i just cut it anywhere and glue it to a rock.
i guess bytor or zooqi would have the most knowledge
thanks for the help
brad

zooqi
12/05/2003, 03:35 AM
Not done any baby frags of frogspawn before but I'm sure somebody else might have a little more knowledge about it. I have seen babies grow and I left them on the branch. There is one in the hospital tank that has babies all over under it. :)

bmkindig
12/06/2003, 12:30 AM
thanks mo.
is that the only way frogspawn can be fragged?my has 4 babies underneath it and i think 1 is ready to move out on it's own but i don't want to kill it like i did my candycane.
i hope santa brings me a book on propagation. after the last meeting my tank has gotten so much fuller and i'm having a hard time finding room for frags so i started putting some in my fish only tank since i just finished building a hood for it.hell the lights aren't even attached yet(i need to get stand offs) now i;ll bee testing and dosing 2 tanks.so much for the fish only idea!!!

Chris Mu.
12/06/2003, 12:38 AM
i have fragged some FS b4 .. we had a nice piece at work i snagged a little baby off of .. i just superglued the hed to a rock the head was tiny .. i forgot all about it and now its about the size of a half dollar when its open .. right now i havea FS with 6 heads . each head has about 10 babies .. im gonna let it grow out more b4 i become the butcher

Chris Mu.
12/06/2003, 12:41 AM
http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001JeuMlzDu3HwoWY246m2/Products/Books/books.html?link=/Products/productinfo.html&item=main:cpb_

bmkindig
12/06/2003, 01:06 AM
thanks chris
this may help.how did you "snagg"the baby off you tie fishing line around it and pull or use a razor blade......
thanks for buying me the book santa that was nice of you ....lol
brad

Chris Mu.
12/06/2003, 01:10 AM
i think i used wire snips ...and just snipped it off.. be carefull not to squish the whole stem... the main life is only in the head anything below is fine to snip.. i have that book at work .. i'll find out what my cost is i get things from champion at cost .. pm me tomorrow night i can prolyl get it for you cheap.. my hook up to you will be an xmas gift

bmkindig
12/06/2003, 01:28 AM
cool deal i'll follow up with you there but it may not be till either like 3:00amsat or after 9:00 sun i work till closing sat night and then mid ****f sun and open mon.
your in new hampshire do you bye chance work for aqua dreams?i was on vacation this summer in that neck of the woods and came acroos that place
thanks
brad

bmkindig
12/06/2003, 01:32 AM
i think i made a typo.
*shift*
brad

zooqi
12/06/2003, 03:01 PM
One of the best books and Anthony Calfo is a super nice guy too. He might be at one of our meetings in the future.

Chris Mu.
12/06/2003, 03:08 PM
never heard of aqua dreams i work fro little shop of pets in portsmouth nh

ByTor
12/09/2003, 09:24 PM
Brad, try a copping saw blade. you know those thin fine toothed saw blades.. The branches on euphyllia can been very brittle, if you crack the branch up vertically to the flesh it will most likely die.
One other thing cut it under water, LPS can't support their polyps out of water.

as for fragging gorgs, cut it where you want then scrape off the flesh at the base so glue will stick to the wood.
HTH's

bmkindig
12/09/2003, 11:57 PM
hey tim
thanks i knew i could count on you for some help.
i didn't know you need to frag lps inside the tank!
is your tank going to be open for show/frags that day or are you just bringing frags?
i think with the frog spawn i'm going to use a scissors and snip it at the base.
heres another one for you tim, i have a red sea fan i think thanks a gorg. can i cut it anywhere, just pick my length?like pruning a tree?
thanks
brad

ByTor
12/10/2003, 08:30 PM
Brad, yes you can prune a gorg just like a tree...You just have to scrape the flesh off the area you want to glue down...
Brad if you use scissors there is a good possiblity you will damage the skeleton. A copeing (sp?) saw blade is the best IMO
Yes, since my place is only like 10mins away from where we are having the swap, I plan on offering a tour to those that are interested and also for anyone that would like to hand pick a frag package...

bmkindig
12/11/2003, 03:32 PM
:D :D :D thanks tim:D :D :D
i don't know whose the better reef god bytor or zooqi
is that at in tank frag deal to?

a tour of your house will be awesome since my wife wasn't at your last meeting. i have to save some $ just for your house i missed good deals at zooqi's due to funding but i made out very well anyway.
thanks
brad

71goalie
12/11/2003, 03:47 PM
I'd be interested in a tour also, being that I am a profound "newbie" and am interested in looking at not only other people's aquascaping, but their setups.

I was hoping to have a new tank setup by the meeting, but my wife and I are at odds right now. We just got our new couch for the family room and the thing is huge. There may not be room for the tank where I wanted to put it. We'll have to see. I may be stuck with just the 30 for now and will have to do something about my lighting. I think PC will work with the way the tank is installed. Definitely can't do MH.

bmkindig
12/11/2003, 03:57 PM
hey doug
i'll hold your frags for you.
i have to tanks with vho lights on both
later
brad

71goalie
12/11/2003, 04:07 PM
Brad,

How do you like the bowfront tank? something like that may fit. I was dreaming of a 180, but that is out of the question unless I put it upstairs in the living room. In order to that, I would have to do major work on the floor to support that weight, which is more than I want to take on.

the bowfront drilled? do they come with overflows as an opption?

bmkindig
12/11/2003, 04:14 PM
hey doug
anything is possible with a tankif you want it it can be done i'm off today if you want to come down, i'm like 5 mins away from something fishy pm me and i'll give you my phone#
the bow front has it's up's and downs and the wall it's on will beraly fit a 6 foot tank i'm hopeing santa is full of money this year and is going to buy me a 265 gallon tank.or at least a down payment.
later
vrad

absolut
12/11/2003, 04:16 PM
as an alternative to the hacksaw blade, you could try a dremel tool to cut LPS branches...I've heard it works pretty smoothly.

bmkindig
12/11/2003, 04:39 PM
i don't think i'll put my rotory tool under water but thats a goo thought.

absolut
12/11/2003, 05:13 PM
not too sure it's nessessary to do it underwater. Check out this thread and then look what RC member pi (Paul) says.

This thread shows how he did it without much explination, there is a thread that he made with these same pictures that he gives a detailed account of how he prepared and went through with it.

Can't find the good thread cause the search is disabled right now.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=260356