PDA

View Full Version : Website Help.

nine9d
12/04/2003, 10:20 PM
Hey everyone,
I need some people out there to try to come up with some verbiage for the site. Like possibly a mission statement and some text for the front page and all other pages. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to copy other club sites but we can get an idea from thier pages in what we would like to include and or say. Thanks a lot.

andro
12/04/2003, 11:24 PM
I'll start spinning some wheels, and see what I come up with. Probably not much :-p, but it is worth a start.

-Ian

nine9d
12/06/2003, 09:34 AM
Thanks bud. Does anyone else have input?

Tomzpc
12/06/2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by nine9d
Thanks bud. Does anyone else have input?

I'll give it some thought too.

masterswimmer
12/06/2003, 01:35 PM
The wheels they are a turnin'. I'll put some thought into it, in between shovelings. Snow is coming down quick. Aching back.

Russ

seaham358
12/06/2003, 02:09 PM
SNOW BLOWER :dance: Best $200 I have spent in a long time.
Gives me more time to sit and stare at the tank after I throw another log on the fire and this....:beer:

masterswimmer
12/06/2003, 02:53 PM
Called my buddy from up the road. He's bringing down his plow. My 16 year old son is doing the walkway. Here's to neighbors and teenagers :beer: !!

Russ

Tomzpc
12/07/2003, 11:08 AM
How's this for starters? Everyone feel free to make comments and/or correct spelling and grammar.

We are a group of Reef and Marine Aquarium hobbyists located in New York’s Hudson Valley formed for the purposes of sharing experiences, information and advice so that we may enable ourselves and others within our region to provide for the common goal of proper husbandry of marine animals. We meet, on average, once a month for these purposes as well as to trade live coral fragments and equipment as well as to enjoy fellowship with those of a common interest. If you are currently a reef hobbyist or would like to be, please consider joining us.

masterswimmer
12/07/2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Tomzpc

We are a group of Reef and Marine Aquarium hobbyists located in New York’s Hudson Valley formed for the purposes of sharing experiences, information and advice so that we may enable ourselves and others within our region to provide for the common goal of proper husbandry of marine animals.

Hey Tom,
Wow, that's one long kick @ss sentence. :eek1: Says a lot though. Well thought out and to the point. Good job.

Russ

Tomzpc
12/07/2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Tomzpc
How's this for starters? Everyone feel free to make comments and/or correct spelling and grammar.

We are a group of Reef and Marine Aquarium hobbyists located in New York’s Hudson Valley formed for the purposes of sharing experiences, information and advice so that we may enable ourselves and others within our region to provide for the common goal of proper husbandry of marine animals. We meet, on average, once a month for these purposes as well as to trade live coral fragments and equipment as well as to enjoy fellowship with those of a common interest. If you are currently a reef hobbyist or would like to be, please consider joining us.

LOL Russ....maybe a little too run on? I'm not a expert in Grammar by any means. Maybe I should run it by my sister in law who's an English teacher! I just noticed that I used
"as well as" twice in the second sentence. That's got to be fixed.

Tomzpc
12/07/2003, 11:13 PM
How's this one?:

We are a group of Reef and Marine Aquarium hobbyists located in New York’s Hudson Valley. The club was formed for the purpose of sharing experiences, information and ideas so that we may assist one another in providing for the proper husbandry of aquarium reef environments.

We hope to promote the marine aquarium hobby and the conservation of the world's coral reefs through education, example, aquaculture and the ethical treatment of marine wildlife.

We meet, on average, once a month for general reef chat, topical discussions and coral "frag" trading as well as to enjoy fellowship with those of a common interest. If you are currently a reef hobbyist or would like to be, please consider joining us.

masterswimmer
12/08/2003, 12:17 AM
You have a great way with words Tom. Sounds great. Just your selection of MLB teams needs work.

Russ

andro
12/08/2003, 08:17 AM
I like it Tom.

skearse
12/08/2003, 09:55 AM
Ross, (not Russ)

YGM

nine9d
12/08/2003, 10:15 AM
Hey everyone,
Thanks for all of the help guys. Check these out:
http://hvreef.org/test1.html
http://hvreef.org/test2.html

Any comments?

P.S. - Thanks for sending me these skearse. I wasn't around this weekend to check up on things.

skearse
12/08/2003, 10:45 AM
No problem-those are actually from this morning (hard at work!) Thanks for putting them out there for me. I wasn't sure about the counties listed, but, that's not a big deal to change.

Stacy

Tomzpc
12/08/2003, 12:05 PM
Hmm, I might like Stacy's better than mine, and it fills up more of the page, to boot! Anyone else have any ideas to throw out there on this. If not, how about some opinions on what you may like or dislike?

seaham358
12/08/2003, 03:23 PM
they both are good........

andro
12/08/2003, 03:36 PM
I like them both also.

masterswimmer
12/08/2003, 04:11 PM
Well here I go again......I like both. However, there are parts of each that I think can be combined for a more comprehensive approach. No need to take offense anyone, but a combination of the two would not mean that either one is not good. Also, I am not a proponent of mentioning in the home page that we meet at a members home monthly. Although we are all becoming friends, that does not mean that everyone out there has the same honorable intentions that we have. Please don't misread where I'm coming from, it's not that I don't trust anyone, I just can't trust everyone. Sorry, I don't mean to be cynical, just not niave` either. If we were to mention meetings that would be one avenue to take, not necessarily at someones home.

There, grandstanding is over.
Hope I didn't offend anyone, that was not my intention,
Russ

seaham358
12/08/2003, 04:29 PM
So what your trying to say is that you think someone might join the club to attend a meeting knowing it will be at someone's house. While at the house they will actually be casing the home for a later home invasion or a good old burglary. Taking your fish, tank and wifes jewelry. Hopefully With her still attached to it in my case :rollface:

masterswimmer
12/08/2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by seaham358
So what your trying to say is that you think someone might join the club to attend a meeting knowing it will be at someone's house. While at the house they will actually be casing the home for a later home invasion or a good old burglary. Taking your fish, tank and wifes jewelry. Hopefully With her still attached to it in my case :rollface:

In essence, yes. I know it makes me sound pessimistic, doubting, cynical, untrusting and all the good adjectives you can come up with, but, this IS the internet. No matter how you slice it. Maybe it's just me. Anyone else have any feelings on this?

Russ
:worried:

Oh, and take your wifes jewelry, with her attached ROFLMAO
:lmao:

seaham358
12/08/2003, 04:42 PM
I know where your coming from......
Thats why I have a gun a BIG GUN........:uzi:

nine9d
12/08/2003, 04:48 PM
I think that part can easily be changed. But how in the world are you ever going to host a meeting? Fingerprints at the door? LOL. Do you trust me? I am just bustin' your chops here man.

Hey, I have the same attitude. D.T.A. - Don't Trust Anyone. But please don't be so paranoid, we will have Bob bring his BIG GUN to all of the meetings. hehe.

masterswimmer
12/08/2003, 09:21 PM
Well golly guys, never said I didn't trust anyone, just not everyone. And Ross, please empty your pockets, spread your arms and allow me to sweep you with the wand, both upon entry and exit. I also have my alarm system installed by Smith & Wesson. :uzi:

Man, where has this thread gone?
Me and my biiiiig mouth.

Wild Bill Cody

skearse
12/09/2003, 07:55 AM
Nope, I think it's an excellent point, Russ. Maybe submitting to a full body cavity search, urinalysis...

Kidding aside, I do think that you bring up an excellent point. We should definately be a little vague on the wording of that section. (I certainly don't want to lose the fish. The wife, on the other hand...)

Also, my pages were not intended to replace Tom's (one of them is pretty much plagarized from his); it's that we have the main page (test1) as well as an "About" (test2) page-I was thinking that the main page would be a little more general, whereas the "About" page should go a little more in depth.

nine9d
12/09/2003, 08:00 AM
I agree that we should be more vague. I will look through it and try to change it up a little unless someone already has something in mind. I think that the thread is right on topic. We need some humor every now and than.

nine9d
12/10/2003, 04:28 PM
I just changed where it said that we meet at members house. Anything else?

http://hvreef.org/test1.html
http://hvreef.org/test2.html

How does it all sound?

masterswimmer
12/10/2003, 05:07 PM
Hey you, not me,
Sounds spectacular. You've done a bang up job once again ole` buddy. Hope I didn't create too much of a disruption.

Thanx again for your continued efforts,
Me, not you
aka Russ

andro
12/10/2003, 05:28 PM
Sounds good to me.

nine9d
12/10/2003, 05:34 PM
Hey,
Thanks to all the guys that contributed. I am not that great at writing. So any help is much appreciated. Hoefully we can get a full site in time.

foxstop
12/10/2003, 06:04 PM
Great job all!

WAGERJA
12/11/2003, 10:01 AM
Ross or Ian,
how do ya feel about adding "Ulster" to the list on the home page? that's my county. ;)

J

nine9d
12/11/2003, 10:11 AM
Nah, Ulster is for Wankers!

P.S. - It is alredy added on the about page my friend :D

WAGERJA
12/11/2003, 10:44 AM
"about page" ya that 's what I meant. thanks

J