PDA

View Full Version : Flasher Wrasse Acclimation info wanted

6-line
06/30/2001, 12:12 PM
Hi all,
If you've read my previous thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27803
You'll know the story of my Filament Flasher wrasse,
Since the rescue from the sump yesterday, it's been sitting in a clump of halimeda on the side of the tank. I know it's alive because I see its eyes moving around as well as its breathing. Do these fish usually take a while to acclimate and do they spend a lot of time sitting around (I've noticed this behavior with them at the LFS)? I know it has been through a lot of stress, and if I didn't have a damsel in my grow-out tank I'd put it there.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

JohnL
06/30/2001, 01:56 PM
I had one who acted similar for the first few days then went MIA :( I never found him after that. I think they are known to jump out of the tank. You may want to post this (or I can move it) to the Fish Care forum.

lori344
06/30/2001, 04:06 PM
Hi Todd,
Yes, our's hid behind rock-work and out of the way for close to two weeks after he was introduced to the 80 gallon... At first he was very timid. But, eventually he became very active and a brilliant member of the tank. What a beautiful little fish! After 5-6 months he went carpet surfing. :( We looked and looked and couldn't find another one here in Fresno. We, ironically, replaced him with a cute little 6-line.
~lori

6-line
06/30/2001, 11:23 PM
Well..that's a little hopeful.
However, does anyone have any experience with this fish and a 6-line wrasse? Since I'm presently stuck with the two of them.
I did see the wrasse come up somewhat to eat; I squirted some frozen brine its way when I fed today and it responded by moving out of the halimeda and gulped some down. Unfortunately, when the 6-line came by, they both got into a tangle together and the Flasher went back down into hiding. I'm curious if this pair will ever get along. I wonder what conversations they had together while confined to the sump for that day? Thanks for any experiences....

JohnL
07/01/2001, 12:38 AM
In light of...

Originally posted by 6-line
Since I'm presently stuck with the two of them.

What options do you have?

Jeff B
07/02/2001, 12:15 PM
6-line,

Unfortunately, my experience with these 2 fish in the same tank ended disastrously for the flasher wrasse. Years ago in my FO days I had a 6-line which I considered the perfect fish in my 70 gal. Never bothered any of the other fish and was in turn not harassed by anyone else. One day I saw a fish I had never seen before in my LFS, a flasher wrasse. Bought it, acclimated it and then proceeded to see my calm, peaceful 6-line wrasse turn into a mad hornet who made life miserable for my new addition. The flasher hid under some rocks and everytime he so much as stuck his nose out the 6-line was all over him. I hoped the aggression would disappear over time but the only thing that disappeared was the flasher. Since he couldn't even get any food I believe he starved or was killed by the physical attacks of the 6-line.

Since then, I've learned that these 2 fish are very closely related. The flasher is known to be very timid the 6-line not so which accounts for their behavior. I doubt if this pair would get along even if the flasher had been added first although that would probably be the only chance he would have for co-existence. My suggestion would be to see if your LFS would take the flasher in trade. If not, he may actually have more of a chance with the damsel although neither situation is very good. Sorry for the bad news and best of luck with your decision.

jeff

6-line
07/02/2001, 01:03 PM
Jeff,
That's not good news.
The Flasher remains hidden in the Halimeda patch throughout the day and it does come out to feed and it does get it's share (primarily because I direct the food down to it). It hides whenever any fish comes near and it's very skittish. I have seen a couple skirmishes with the 6-line, but they are only brief--that's not to say that they aren't happening when I'm not looking, but for the most part the 6-line leaves the Flasher alone in its hiding place and it must know it's there.
The grow out tank is only 10 gallons and I really don't want to put the Flasher there (although getting the damsel out wouldn't be too hard, there isn't too much rockwork) I'm wondering if I'd better beneficial to remove the damsel, insert the wrasse until it's happy. But then that's solitary confinement and it'll never get used to being in the company of other fish. It's also solitary because it's tucked away in the closet beneath the stairs and I only really visit that tank to feed the Damsel and cycle the lights--so therefore it won't even get accustomed to people walking by(Yeah I know, but what does the Damsel feel like) .:rolleyes .
I paid 30 bucks for this fish, the best I'll get out of the LFS is probably 10 bucks because they only give you a 1/3 on trade ins.
Either way, I still have a dilemma on my hands and I'll let it ride for a couple days. :confused:

Jeff B
07/02/2001, 03:25 PM
Todd,

I think your situation is similar to what my flasher faced in the 70 gal. My 6-line seemed to know where the other wrasse was at all times (under a rock in my tank, in the Halimeda in yours), but if he dared stray from that several square inch space then he was chased back in. It's good that you can at least direct food to him.

Any possibility of using a small tank divider in the 10 gal to separate the damsel and flasher to allow the wrasse some peace? This may allow you to buy some time and at least reduce his stress level. Or is there any possibility you could catch the 6-line put him in the 10 gal and let the flasher acclimate to your larger tank? If the flasher were allowed some period of time (I would try 3-4 weeks) without any competition in your show tank perhaps adding the 6-line then would minimize this inter-specific aggression.

jeff

hcs3
07/02/2001, 06:11 PM
Or is there any possibility you could catch the 6-line put him in the 10 gal and let the flasher acclimate to your larger tank? If the flasher were allowed some period of time (I would try 3-4 weeks) without any competition in your show tank perhaps adding the 6-line then would minimize this inter-specific aggression.

that is exactly what i was thinking. i think that it is your best chance of success. however, adding any fish in with an established damsel in a 10g tank could be problems. if i was adding anything to the 10g, i would be sure to remove the damsel.

also, i know this doesn't help the current situation, but maybe it will in the future. of course, this is in no way a flame, either. 6-line, proper research prior to the purchase of the flasher would have prevented this. always do the research first.

in the meantime, while the 2 fish are together i'd be sure to feed heavier than normal ensuring the flasher gets enough food. if the flasher shows signs of torn fins, it's time to remove one of them (preferred the 6-line since it's not as stressed at this point).

henry

hcs3
07/02/2001, 06:17 PM
whoops, sorry. i guess i should take my advice. i just read the link you provided :eek: my bad. my apologies for assuming you didn't do the research prior.

now armed with full knowledge of the incident :D i stick with my first assessment. i agree with jeff. try removing the 6-line, especially if the flasher shows signs of wear.

pulling foot from mouth
henry

6-line
07/02/2001, 11:48 PM
Thanks guys,
That's okay, Henry, remove it gently ;)
I'll consider all of the suggestions; I have no doubt in my mind that catching the 6-line would be an incredible task (unless it happened to go back down into the sump) and although I'd consider removing the damel and putting the Flasher in the 10 gallon, I really don't want the wrasse to get acclimated to such a small and empty tank.
I'll give it some thought and keep you all updated.

Thanks

Jeff B
07/03/2001, 08:52 AM
Todd,

Several additional thoughts. I still think a tank divider in the 10 gal. would at least provide a temporary solution since it sounds as if you don't have much rockwork in there. The flasher is better off acclimating in an "empty" tank than being constantly harassed in a larger one.

Also, if the flasher and damsel are in the tank with no divider make sure you provide some type of cover if you don't already have one. Flashers are notorious jumpers and I have little doubt he would end up on the floor if housed in a small tank with a damsel.

It seems as if you have concluded that the best approach for now is to keep the flasher alive and wait for a better, more permanent solution to present itself. I concur with your reasoning.

jeff

6-line
07/04/2001, 06:54 PM
Bad news.
Yesterday I bought one of those hang-on breeder boxes and I was going to place the Flasher in there and allow it to get accustomed to life in the main tank and perhaps end the dispute between the two wrasse; when I visited the halimeda patch to catch the Flasher, it was difficult to get the net in there with the rock and Halimeda and vertimid snails getting snagged in the net so I removed some of the Halimeda and the wrasse took off.
I haven't seen it since. I've replaced some more Halimeda there in case it wonders back to hide there, but not within the last 24 hours. At least before I knew where it was and it couldn't hide, at least from me and I could spot feed it. Now I have no control.
I guess it's on it own. Hopefully it'll appear out of the rocks in a week or so, best buddies with the 6-line singing songs of old.
But somehow, I don't see that happening.
Tough break, I suppose.

6-line
07/05/2001, 12:07 AM
Okay, things are getting better.
I found the Flasher this evening...in my sump...again. That's good and bad. At least I know where it is.
How in the world is this fish getting down there?
I've placed him in the breeder tank hanging in the main tank. Lights are out so there's no one awake to investigate (except the Banggai--he doesn't bug anyone though).
I'm going to post a question in the main forum concerning this, but, how can I stop the fish from going down my overflow?
It's either jumping into the overflow box or it's going between the teeth. I don't know if this is by accident or purpose (not that the wrasse can think of doing it intentionally) but how can I prevent it from happening without plugging the teeth on my hang-on Life reef overflow?
Will this method of acclimation work for the fish?
Thanks

hcs3
07/06/2001, 12:15 AM
trying placing eggcrate over the opening. slope it towards the main tank.

is the sump inhabitable as a temporary housing?

henry

dougc
07/06/2001, 04:11 PM
My flasher wrasse jumped in and out of the overflow every day for a month to avoid being harassed by a blue devil. I wouldn't have believed it, but I watched hime do it several times. So, yes, your wrasse is probably jumping into the overflow intentionally.

6-line
07/06/2001, 10:56 PM
Well, I've solved the problem.
The wrasse, who's living in a breeder box hanging inside the tank now, is going to a member of our reefkeeping club. I only bought him to replace the 6-line and since the 6-line reappeared, one has to go. And I'll never catch the 6-line...

hcs3
07/09/2001, 05:39 PM
i commend you for making a decision with the fish's best interest in mind.

henry