PDA

View Full Version : Na Moli Live Rock vs WSI Fiji

Cakepro
06/29/2001, 03:30 PM
Hello --

The posts regarding live rock were so informative I am hoping to garner assistance in my next order of LR by revisiting the subject.

FFE has both precured and uncured Walt Smith Fiji live rock on sale for $99 per 45 pound box, as well as Na Moli live rock, also from Fiji, for the same price. Has anyone ordered any of this Na Moli rock? I've got a box of WSI fiji rock in my tank (as well as several boxes of Vanisi rock from Jeff's, which I will <b>not</b> be ordering again), and I am pleased with the WSI rock, but am hoping to get more life in my next box.

Comments, suggestions, advice?

Thanks!
Sherri

Snailman
06/29/2001, 07:55 PM
Cakepro

[welcome]

Are you a Cake Pro? :)

Cakepro
06/29/2001, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the great welcome, Snailman.

I am indeed a cake pro, but a reef neophyte. ;-)

~ Sherri ~

RyanH
07/01/2001, 04:01 PM
Sherri,

What was the Vanisi like? Why aren't you going to order again? I was thinking about getting some. so I'd like more information. Thanks.

Ryan

Cakepro
07/01/2001, 04:32 PM
Hi Ryan ~

The Vanisi rock I got from Jeff's Exotic Fish just doesn't have any life on it, nor it is growing the coralline algae as well as the Fiji rock I have. When the Vanisi rock arrived, it was covered in the most beautiful cream and peach coralline, but it soon died off. I wonder if perhaps it was from deeper water and the pc's were too much for it, or visa versa, but in any case, it was stark white within a couple of weeks (if that long). I also received some great big (10" x 10") flat pieces, which I think really should have been culled and sold as base rock, not "premium" Vanisi. Those pieces worked well for the foundation of our reef (we built it on pvc pipe so it's not directly on the sand bed), but there weren't enough round pieces to really build with -- and that was 2 boxes for a 75 gallon tank with an overflow.

Now the Fiji rock I bought recently is a different story! It is absolutely covered with coralline growth, and button polyps are beginning to appear...brown and orange and kind of a violet so far. There are worms and feather dusters galore, and I am very well pleased with it. I'm buying a couple of more boxes to top off the aquascaping in the 75 as well as to put more in my 60 gallon fish-only tank of gorgeous angels. I'll post my findings when it arrives next week.

I hope that my experience with Vanisi rock is an isolated one.

~ Sherri ~

RyanH
07/01/2001, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I checked out FFE and i too would be interested to hear from anyone that has ordered the Na Moli. The pictures look pretty good.

Ryan