PDA

View Full Version : Group SPS Order

BLUESMAN
12/02/2003, 06:01 PM
I'm thinking of ordering from www.reefscience.com or www.exoticreefs.us for some rare SPS's. Blue

mx_tang
12/02/2003, 11:21 PM
Hi Blue,

Exoticreefs.us has some quality stuff, no doubt. Heck, half the ER farmers had TOTM on reefkeeping magazine.

Blue, can you post what you want, so we know what's left?

Fliger
12/02/2003, 11:48 PM
Bah. What is your timing? If you wait until January I'm 100% in for a frag or two. I'm just out of town at least 50% of December. Don't wait for me, but if you do wait - I'm in.

David

mx_tang
12/03/2003, 12:13 AM
David...no need to wait...we can get the frags and grow them out by the time you get home :)

Blue, actually this is the second worse time of the year to get frags and livestock because it's pretty cold. I mean, the frags are nice, but nothing looks nice RTN'ed and bleached.

Anyway, I think they had some REALLY nice stuff two weeks ago. Did you see those huge Efflo's for $40/piece? Incredible.

BLUESMAN
12/03/2003, 04:51 PM
Mike, Yeah you're right!!! I'm just in a hurray to start!! Well I have to think of an X-Mas gift (for myself) from the wife!! OK will wait until it warms up a bit!! Blue

mx_tang
12/03/2003, 05:29 PM
Maybe the wife can buy you a gift certificate to one of those places...then we could order in the Spring? Anyway, is your wife going to bid on anything at the auction this week (for you, of course) ? :D

AZDesertRat
12/03/2003, 06:52 PM
If you can find someone to auction off 2 - 900/1000GPH submersible pumps, a calcium reactor complete w/ CO2 system, loc-line and fittings, a ground probe, a pH monitor,........ I might attend.

Fliger
12/03/2003, 07:08 PM
Hey AZDR, I have one of those Via Aqua 4900 pumps at Blues' reco and I really like it. It holds very good pressure through a SCWD and it's only ~$39 at Dr F&S.

AZDesertRat
12/03/2003, 07:11 PM
David,
How many watts do they draw? I have been looking at the new QuietOne 4000 as it looks to be pretty efficient but am open to suggestions. The other thing is how quiet is it. I was actually comparing the ViaAqua 3600 but the 4900 may be better? How often does the SCWD switch with your pump, I just bought one 3 weeks ago and haven't been able to try it yet.
A.J.

Fliger
12/03/2003, 07:15 PM
Not sure on the watts - but I seem to remember there is a chart on the Dr F & S site. I had a Mag 9 that switched about every 15 seconds and the 4900 is about every 9 seconds. The 4900 pushes a lot more water.

I gotta run, school's out!

David

BLUESMAN
12/03/2003, 07:18 PM
Mike, No the wife can not bid on anything....But my kids can!!! Yeah, we will wait til spring!! AJ....The Via's are super quiet, but do consume 113 watts. I'd say they switch the SCWD's about every 6-8 seconds(guessing) that's with 4' head. I run two in each tank for return pumps. On sale for $39 @ DrFoster's/Smith. Blue

mx_tang
12/04/2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by AZDesertRat
If you can find someone to auction off 2 - 900/1000GPH submersible pumps, a calcium reactor complete w/ CO2 system, loc-line and fittings, a ground probe, a pH monitor,........ I might attend.

Actually, I think I have all of that, A.J. Why don't I just make a package deal auction for you? :D

AZDesertRat
12/04/2003, 09:06 AM
I already owe you my first, second and third born, my house and my car................... Oh and i forgot to mention I need 2 MH reflectors, another bucket of salt.........

mx_tang
12/04/2003, 03:17 PM
Nah...you only owe me 2 of the kids and I'll take a lawnmower instead of the car :D.

BTW, I can get you some more salt if you like. I still have about 8 buckets left!

On The reflectors, you should look into those nice Diamond Lumenarc III reflectors. They've been discontinued, but I know of two places where you can get them for a semi-reasonable price.

AZDesertRat
12/04/2003, 03:35 PM
How do those reflectors compare to the mirrorized ones at hello lights for $30 ea.?

BLUESMAN
12/04/2003, 04:09 PM
Mike....Now what you going to do with an lawnmower??? That's an labor intense machine, i.e. no buttons to push. Blue

AZDesertRat
12/04/2003, 04:13 PM
Nah, I'll get him that new computerized one that does everything by itself and knows your property line, the correct mowing height and all that jazz!

BLUESMAN
12/04/2003, 04:16 PM
Don't get the model that plays "jazz"...get the "Blues"!!!!! Lol Blue

mx_tang
12/04/2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BLUESMAN
Mike....Now what you going to do with an lawnmower??? That's an labor intense machine, i.e. no buttons to push. Blue

I've always wanted a lawnmower for some reason, don't ask me why. There's nothing like the feeling of wheezing and having watery eyes from cutting a fresh lawn of grass!

Originally posted by AZDesertRat
How do those reflectors compare to the mirrorized ones at hello lights for $30 ea.?

A.J, the Diamond Lumenarc III reflectors have a very good rating for reflectivity on mogul based units due to its multi faceted design. If you'd like to do some light casual reading, I'd suggest ANALYZING REFLECTORS: PART I – MOGUL REFLECTORS by SANJAY JOSHI & TIMOTHY MARKS (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/feature.htm) and draw/extrapolate your own conclusions from the data. If I were to do 400w or any mogul based MH's again, I'd definitely look into these reflectors. They're roughly 3x as expensive as the Hello Lights reflectors, but some online vendors are charging as little as $45 for them if you buy several of them. Search "Lumen Arc" as two words or "Lumenarc" as one word to get more results on google or even RC.

AZDesertRat
12/04/2003, 04:35 PM
The guy down the street has an old push type maunal reel mower in his front yard as a decoration(its desert landscaped now w/ granite). Maybe I'll sneak down there one night and steal it for you!

BLUESMAN
12/04/2003, 04:38 PM
Mr President..now what kind of role model are you setting for the young( and the old) reefers?? Mike, Interesting acticle on reflectors...thanks! Blue

Fliger
12/04/2003, 04:39 PM
I looked into Lumenarc 3's before I decided on my current lighting since I have a deep, open top system with perimeter bracing. I did a lot of research and tracked down the company, actually, if I remember right - there is a company that bought the rights (or it is the same guy, different name) and are still being built. I called and inquired about buying one, but found they're pretty expensive and not the right size for me.

But they were very nice and very helpful when I spoke with them. This was probably about 5-6 months ago.

There are a couple people on RC that have posted pix, they are really killer. Tons of light. But very large. I remember one of the reasons why I chose not to go with them was that the size restricted what I could use for fluorescent.