PDA

View Full Version : Swim Bladder woes

Bob McGee
06/29/2001, 12:47 PM
I need some help!

I have a Tomatoe clown that seems to be having trouble with his swim bladder as he appears to be positively bouyant. When he rests, he starts to float to the surface and has to struggle to stay in one place. Sometimes he swims upsidedown and other times rightside up. He is eating OK and other than the lack of equilibrium in his swimming, he looks good. He is still very active, and hides in his bubble tip anemone, it just looks like he is drunk.

I am worried that it might be a parasite, but I can not think of what might have brought it into the tank as no coral or fish has been introduced to the tank witin the last 4 months.

The fish in question is a male, and his female partner has not been inflicted. Both fish have been in the tank for about a year and there are no other fish in the tank.

I am thinking about setting up a quarentine tank, (which I can do very quickly) but I don't know what I will do to medicate him.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Bob

Terry B
07/01/2001, 03:50 AM
If you are feeding flake or freeze-dried foods stop. I have seen this same problem with other fish, especially clowns. If the fish looks otherwise heathly then this may solve the problem. If you want to treat with an antibiotic then Maracyn-Two at the double dose each day for 7 to 10 days is well absorbed internally.
Terry B

Bob McGee
07/02/2001, 01:35 AM
Interesting... I have been feeding them Formula One in the flake variety. Looks like it is time to try one of those exotic DIY Fish food recipes. :)

Thanks!

Bob