PDA

View Full Version : Plug for Ebay dosing pumps. I like the one I bought.

ReefDream
06/28/2001, 11:09 PM
I just got my dosing pump from Ebay. The seller "tanksalot" is honest and sells good dosing pumps judging from my case and his feedback. I swear this pump I have looks like it originally must have costed at least a $1000 dollars yet I bought it via Buy it Now for only $75 + $20 shipping! It can be set from 0 to 999 ml/hour, and the method of dosing is a tube squeezer that looks like a wave of rollers rather than one single large roller. Anyone who wants a good dosing pump, get them on Ebay and save a lot of money!

PS - I have no vested interest in this guy or his pump sales. I just like the one I got and wanted to pass the word on. In fact, the guy is selling the exact same one I bought right now (he sells about two a week but not all of this model):

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1250085149

ReefDream
07/01/2001, 11:18 PM
The auction above is closed now, but there will be others. I just wanted to let everyone know that this type of dosing pump does not, apparently, break the tubing as others do (many costing about three to four times as much). For those of you who don't have a dosing pump and want a pump that doesn't break the tubing, buy this one. Personally I wouldn't like replacing a broken tube every four to six months like many here claim to. Here's what the seller said about the pump after I asked him about applying graphite lubrication like with the more-common scrape-the-tubing, single-roller type of pump:

<b>"I've never had the tubing wear out on one of these pumps! I can't believe it never will, but it's a very good system. The reason it's good is that the roller system doesn't roll over the tubing. The ribbed "compressor" squeezes the tubing without rubbing on it, so there's no abrasion. The only mechanism that (as far as I know) would cause tubing failure in this design is tubing failure due to cracking from repeated squeezing, which really can't be prevented.

I see no problem with the graphite lubricant, but also no real advantage. I don't see how it could hurt anything. (If it does, I'll cover the pump under the 1-year warranty).

Happy Reefkeeping!
Stan Furman"</b>

FlameAnge1
07/05/2001, 11:13 PM
That pump looks to me like a Medical Pump... an infusion pump to be exact.
Maybe it's a medical crossover?

FlameAngel

p/s It should be reliabe.. It was designed to keep someone alive! LOL!

ReefDream
07/06/2001, 01:10 AM
FlameAnge1,

It definitely is a medical pump. It's also used. The tubing, of course, is new, so the liquid path is totally sterile. The guy never said the pump was new. Mine, in fact, still had the hospital name "Nitro" on a piece of tap that was put on it! Like I said, the pump looks like it would cost at least a grand, so I don't care if it's used. For $75 it's a dream and has been working flawlessly (even set and alarm off when the water went out)!

Oh, and yes, it stays on even if it gets un-plugged. Kinda neat but not really needed for me. I'd guess it would help that guy in the ER who happens to be taken from a serious car wreck during a lightening storm. :D