PDA

View Full Version : 180g

skeets
11/29/2003, 02:55 AM
Guys if you could help me out with a few more questions I would appreciate it. I am looking at possibly getting a 180g glass tank. I am not opposed to acrylic, yet I think for my purpose and wanting to not spend buku bucks I would go glass.

First, who would you guys suggest for building a 180g tank? I want 2 corner overflows with 2 holes in each.(yet to determine any sizes). Then I would probably want two holes drilled in the back of the tank for closed loop. One closed loop would be for 2 sea swirls, and the other closed loop would need to have holes drilled wherever possible in the center bottom of the tank for rockwork flow. I have this done on my 120g but dont know where they can be drilled for safety issues yet. I can paint the back myself. I am looking to be price consciencous. I do not want to go with oceanic for cost reasons.

Second thing is I would REALLY prefer to have a metal stand and then get it powdercoated. What companies will make metal stands? I have no problem getting it powdercoated myself.

I have read threads of horror stories of Inter-American. I know that they probably would make the cheapest tank, and they also make metal stands. I have read so many people waiting months past their dates, getting cracked tanks, not getting what they ordered, and hell even getting tanks that dont fit on the stands! I would probably be willing to pay a little more to not have to deal with that. Some people dont have problems, some people seem to have lots. I guess the other places would be lee-mar, and all aquatics here in town? I know nothing about them... and Id really like to get a metal stand for it.

Thanks alot guys,
DR

mx_tang
11/29/2003, 03:03 AM
Definitely check out Matt's store for pricing on aquariums and stands. He sells acrylic or glass tanks from Oceanic, Lee-Mar, All Glass, and another vendor (possibly Island?). He can also make you a metal, acrylic, or wood stand. If you want to check out his new display tank, it has a powder-coated stand and looks pretty nice, IMHO. I don't think you'll find a better deal around town for the money, since he's doing $1 over wholesale tanks and stands.

Go here for pricing:

All Aquatics (http://www.allaquatics.net/Aquariums.aspx?root=aquariums&idx=4)

mx_tang
11/29/2003, 03:22 AM
I couldn't find pricing on the 180g in glass other than in the "Flat Polished Glass Aquariums" category. Here's what is says:

Flat Polished Glass aquariums
Some of the uniqe features of flat polished aquariums are:
1. all exposed outer glass edges are mitered and polished
2. all glass is joined using black silicone
3. a built in black overflow box to your specifications
4. prices include 2 holes and a black back
5. uniqe perimeter bracing-easy access and reduced splash
6. each aquarium hand crafted ensuring the finest quality

180 gallon
72"x24"x24"
3/8" gauge
square corners
$840.00

Here's how much an acrylic tank would cost:

Overflow boxes $25-$80
Lighthood/Lids Available
No Charge for Drilling Holes
Radius of Bends is 1-3 inches
Any Aquarium may be altered in Dimension and Guage

180 galon
72x24x24
1/2 gauge
Radius corners
$701.00 clear background
$751.00 black background
$776.00 blue background

180 gallon
72x24x24
1/2 gauge
Square corners
$601.00 clear background
$651.00 black background
$676.00 blue background

You're looking at about the same price for glass and acrylic, since the acrylic overflows cost an additional $25-80 and you want two of them. Assuming they're $50 each, the glass tank becomes $11 cheaper compared to the radial bent acrylic tank. However, the squared off acrylic tank would cost about $100 less than either of the tanks I mentioned earlier. So, you're looking at about $800-900 for the tank itself and the stand would cost roughly another $200-300 for a total of $1100-1200 for something with your specs in mind.

skeets
11/29/2003, 03:23 AM
Sounds great!
So is he actually making these tanks priced or what company is priced do you know?
And again, is he making the metal stands? He doesnt have them priced, but Ill take your word on it!

Looks like for an extra few bucks it would be worth having it done in town like that!

skeets
11/29/2003, 12:14 PM
Do you think all aquatics would be able to make a metal stand for an acrylic tank too, because It would need cross bracing.

What is the quality of their acrylic worksmanship, has anyone had a tank made by them?
Thanks
DR

JHardman
11/29/2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by skeets
Do you think all aquatics would be able to make a metal stand for an acrylic tank too, because It would need cross bracing.

What is the quality of their acrylic worksmanship, has anyone had a tank made by them?
Thanks
DR

I haven't bought one yet, but I do have a quote out to him for brood stock tanks.

I have seen the tanks and stands and they are very high quality. Matt has an acrylic ~8' x ~4' x 18" display he is going to use for LPS and clams. It is on a metal poweder coat stand, very nicely done. It's worth the drive to see the tanks/stands.

tendar
11/29/2003, 04:48 PM
Actually Matt's new display tank is 8'x3' acrylic tank and it is on one of the metal stands and it has a cross baces on it so yes he can get the metal stands for acrylic tanks.
I have a couple of acrylic tanks made there from Matt and they are good tanks. THe guy that makes them work for one of the local place tenecor or oceanvu before starting his own bussiness a while back and they are as good as anyone elses out there.

Oh and a stand Oceanic RR 180 would be around $850 with no modifications just the dual overflows from Matt at All Aquatics.