PDA

View Full Version : Flexible hosing

hwynboy
11/28/2003, 12:40 PM
I posted this on the other forum but I remember everytime I see these hoses being used it's on a bigger tank system hopefully someone can help...

Where is the best place to buy that white flex hosing that I can hook up. I have seen people with this heavy duty flexible spa tubing I think it's called....but I cant find it at HD or Menards....anyone with experience using/buying this stuff?

salmon alley
11/28/2003, 02:58 PM
I've found it cheapest online at www.savko.com

'course then you have to factor in the shipping...but it's significantly cheaper that brick and mortar stores.

IMHO
SA

hwynboy
11/28/2003, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all your help...is there a difference between the white color and black color? Also do you glue them into the fittings of the union or just plug it in and they stay? thanks again.

salmon alley
11/28/2003, 10:03 PM
The white flexible pvc is just that...flexible pvc. It fits the standard pvc fittings and is glued in using primer and pvc cement (although there is cement that is made specifically for the flexible stuff).

The black (corrugated?) tubing is much thinner, easier to bend. I've seen it used with the metal clamps that go around it on the outside and tighten down using a screw. You wouldn't glue the black stuff. I've never used it myself, but it looks feasible.

HTH
SA

11/29/2003, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't the corrugated stuff personally, to much can get trapped in the grooves.

alias
11/30/2003, 03:09 PM
I tried some of the black stuff, total crap. It leaked out of every connection WITH CLAMPS.

MiddletonMark
11/30/2003, 03:19 PM
I use the black stuff and the `braided' flexible stuff. If you're using hose fittings, clamp it well - I've had zero problems. If you're paranoid use a little teflon tape wrapping the barbed fittings.

MD and premium aquatics even sell plastic hose clamps for `in-tank' or wet uses. I'd personally go with the stainless steel for anything that's not getting sprayed a lot, etc ... but that's what's connected my tank and sump and zero problems.

I know HD on the West side has `spa-flex' flexible tubing. I'm unsure about the glue needed, but I know they have it over there - I'd imagine they have it at the East side place too [same aisle as the flex tube ... in rolls way up on the shelf]. Of course, HD people are total idiots [statement today when I was looking for 1" I.D. braided tube from the guy `well, 5/8 is close to 1", I bet it would work' .... huh?]

Menards doesn't have the spa-flex, or hasn't when I've looked. Might not be a good season to find it around here - but I bet it's there at HD. But of course, Menards has a much better selection of PVC hose-barb fittings - so you'll probably have to go to both to get what you need. [HD's barb fittings selection suck].

If you know exactly what you're looking for in terms of fittings ... PM me as I have a bag of assorted extra fittings just sitting around that I'd gladly get rid of. Not much over 1", but I swear I have every form/shape of 1/2" to 1". Free for the taking.

tyler
11/30/2003, 06:31 PM
the stuff you describe sounds liek pool and spa vacuum hose. i bought a few feet of this at lowes to use as my return because i HATE flex pvc, but i couldn't get it to not leak, so i went with the black stuff, which is ok, because i've got way more pump than i need.

alias
11/30/2003, 07:05 PM
I ended up using 1" ID clear vinyl.

o2manyfish
12/01/2003, 12:20 AM
The SpaFlex is avail from 1/2" up to 3". It will fit the standard PVC fittings.

You have to use the special flexible glue.

You can get this glue to release later on, if you need to remove the pipe.

If you check around for your local commercial plumbing they carry this. Your looking for a plumbing supply that supplies pipe for street work and such.

The min length is usually 20ft but it's less than a couple of bucks a foot which makes it cheaper than alot of the tubing at the Depot.

Dave B