PDA

View Full Version : My new 5 gal Nano !

DashHD
11/26/2003, 01:38 AM
I decided to start up a 5 gal Nano from an old tank my wife had . I decided to do this because I think I will enjoy turning this into a reef more so than my 55gal . And the money side will kind of be smaller as well.......atleast I keep telling myself that ! :D
I'm getting Justin at Tideline to make me a small HOB refugium for it so it should be pretty interesting whn done !

Here is a picture from day 1 when I first got all the sand and water in .
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/demum/nanoday1.jpg

Here is day 4 with the sandstorm calmed and the LR added .
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/demum/nanoday4.jpg

minfinger
11/26/2003, 07:01 AM
Looks good so far...Just a few suggestions...MORE LIGHT, MORE LIGHT, MORE LIGHT, MORE LIGHT, & a little more light :D

Also, when you do water changes, I know of many people with great success in Nanos. Change out like 3 or 4 Gallons of water and it will make all the difference.

Troy182
11/26/2003, 08:27 AM
what do you plan on keeping in there? I love to hear plans for tank setups and then watch how they turn out.

DashHD
11/26/2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by minfinger
Looks good so far...Just a few suggestions...MORE LIGHT, MORE LIGHT, MORE LIGHT, MORE LIGHT, & a little more light :D

Also, when you do water changes, I know of many people with great success in Nanos. Change out like 3 or 4 Gallons of water and it will make all the difference.

There is plenty of light in there I did a little retouching on the picture in photoshop to make it look better . I've got a 32watt 10K premium daylight and ultra actinic Smartlite retrofit in it . That's the first thing I did was upgrade the lighting when I decided to set up the tank . And thanks for the advice on the water changes !

Originally posted by Troy182
what do you plan on keeping in there? I love to hear plans for tank setups and then watch how they turn out.

I was going to do some zoo's , ricorda , anenome , a very small clown and other corals . I'm going to try and put as much in it as I can without it looking to full . I'm just doing a little at a time ! I will be taking pictures every 3 days to show progress then I was thinking about making a website .

Aquarius Lady
11/28/2003, 08:32 PM
NICE!!!!!! I have a love for nano's myself <G> As Mike said, one can never have enough Light! LOL! Tideline does some GREAT VHO refits what is what I had done for my Nano (It now runs a VHO 20k & Actinic) Good luck! More pics!
(I tried to get more pics of mine with all the frags in it, but I found out my 22 yr old Cannon AF35 is a goner) :(

DashHD
12/04/2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks !

Justin finished the hob fuge for me it looks great ! Here are some pics of it on my tank .

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/demum/nanohob.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/demum/nanohob2.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/demum/nanohob3.jpg

minfinger
12/04/2003, 07:45 PM
Oh you were the guy that had the setup at Tideline. I wondered who got that... Was that you? That thing looks sweet!

DashHD
12/04/2003, 07:55 PM
Oh you were the guy that had the setup at Tideline. I wondered who got that... Was that you? That thing looks sweet!

Yes Mike that was mine ! :D

Justin did a great job on it ! He said from having it set-up at the store he had alot of interest from people wanting something similar for their tanks . He really enjoyed making it , he says it was a fun project and something different for him to do .

minfinger
12/04/2003, 08:23 PM
Gosh, I thought that was one of those things the special order for some fool with nothing better to do with his money. I didn't realize it was a total custom. Justin should think about making a few of those and selling them.

DashHD
12/04/2003, 08:43 PM
Gosh, I thought that was one of those things the special order for some fool with nothing better to do with his money. I didn't realize it was a total custom. Justin should think about making a few of those and selling them.

I mentioned something to him about making some and setting them up for people to buy . He said he thought about it as well . It was cheaper for him to make it for me then it would be to order one on-line .

minfinger
12/04/2003, 08:54 PM
How much did he charge you?

You know, I didn't even read the text in your post with the pics, I recognized it immediately. I thought it was to big of a coniencidence.

DashHD
12/04/2003, 09:22 PM
He charged me $75 . I told him how big I wanted it and what I wanted to put in it and he did a fine job ! I don't mind paying for quality work the least bit ! The fuge itself will hold 2 gallons from what he told me , I added 3 lbs of LR and some macro algae . My tank is a 5 gal flat back hex just for info .

minfinger
12/05/2003, 02:53 PM
That's not that bad when you think about what he had to do to make it.

I'll just get Skip to make me one ;)

So, no filtration other than the fuge? No Filter pad or anything?

DashHD
12/05/2003, 10:43 PM
That's not that bad when you think about what he had to do to make it.

I'll just get Skip to make me one ;)

So, no filtration other than the fuge? No Filter pad or anything?

I don't know many people in this hobby as I have only been doing it for 6 months so I have to pay to play right now :D .

That is correct no filtration except for the fuge no pad either . Do you think I should look into it ? Because in all honesty I haven't really thought about it .

minfinger
12/06/2003, 08:33 AM
You know us! :D I remember those days, I wish I hadn't have spent so much money!!!

I think you should have something before the fuge to stop the
particles in the water, but still let the water go by.