PDA

View Full Version : Business card

nine9d
11/25/2003, 01:37 PM
Hey everyone,
I made a quick down and dirty business card and I would like your thoughts. It is not the best thing in the world, but I incorporated a couple of ideas.

1. Giving the background of the card a color tint as for authentication purposes.

2. A placement for a seal (further authentication).

3. A place for the president to sign (further, further authentication).

4. The member’s signature can be on the back of the card.

What do you all think? Blast away; tell me what you want to see, blah, blah, blah.

http://hvreef.org/members/nine9d/images/bus_card.jpg

skearse
11/25/2003, 01:43 PM
Does it have to be a seal? Couldn't it be a walrus, or a penguin...oh, THAT kind of seal.

Anyway, looks good, as always! Just a thought-do we want to have the username in the logo, or just the member name on the card somewhere? And, maybe adding an exporation date or some other method to keep up with active members?

Just thoughts (I'm working on getting to 100 posts so I can use the HV Reef avatar.)

nine9d
11/25/2003, 01:49 PM
HA! We do not have to have the names on there. I just had that logo handy so go ahead and disregard my nick. It will be too much time and work to use personalized cards like that.

We could haev them expire on a yearly basis which would be best I think. We can put a date of Jan. 2004. That should be cool.

(P.S. - Did I get back to you on that e-mail problem skearse?)

Tomzpc
11/25/2003, 03:14 PM
Nice Ross! That should net some votes for VP-PR right there. ;)

I like the idea of doing them yearly and changing the color every year. How much would it run to make cards like these? Would we make them on business card stock or laminated?

nine9d
11/25/2003, 03:35 PM
I would say to do both stock and laminate. I made the color a gradation so it is not easily duplicated. I mean, it is not like anyone is going to steal the design and print up the cards. If they did, that would be really lame. LOL. I will check around for prices. If anyone knows someone please let me know. Thanks.

masterswimmer
11/25/2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by skearse
Does it have to be a seal? Couldn't it be a walrus, or a penguin...oh, THAT kind of seal.

I thought we could use a squid (SQWD). Oh that kind of seal.

You got my vote for VP-PR. And, make it a four year term. Nice job.

Russ

foxstop
11/25/2003, 07:05 PM
Very cool!

Brian

seaham358
11/25/2003, 08:15 PM
I can make the cards, I make my own business cards now. I have card stock and have a laminator. I would like to see more reef/fish on the front of the card instead of the green box thing. It looks good but I think that we are a reef club we need some reef somewhere.....
What official type info should be on the back with the place to sign there name? I'll make them bring them to meetings and have people sign them then laminate Or just type the name on either way would work.. Can bring laminator to meetings also. Should we list LFS that give discounts on the back also?

nine9d
11/26/2003, 12:11 AM
Hey Bob thanks for saying that you will do this. I know that you are a very busy guy. Either way, I don't think we should list the stores, only because each time we find one or someone wants their name off it would be a hassle (just my thought though).

I think we can have people sign their name as well as have it typed underneath as you suggested. I can place some tinted reef images on the background sometime tomorrow and post them. Thanks for the ideas. Whoo Hoo!

WAGERJA
11/26/2003, 08:54 AM
look at you getting stuff done! thanks Ross!
anyway, looks good and this thread has covered every throught I had on membership cards, so I don't have anything to add but

GOOD JOB! :)

J

nine9d
11/26/2003, 09:46 AM
Thanks everyone.

What do you think of this one?

http://hvreef.org/members/nine9d/images/bus_card1.jpg

WAGERJA
11/26/2003, 09:52 AM
one word
Perfect! :)

have you thought about what the seal should look like?

J

nine9d
11/26/2003, 09:56 AM
Actually, I was thinking of something like a golf or silver foil fish. I was trying to find one on ebay or may even hit an arts and crafts store sometime today. What do people think of that idea?

Tomzpc
11/26/2003, 10:33 AM
I like it. Why do we need a seal if we are going to have the president's sig? Should we have something like "member in good standing through 12/31/yr?

seaham358
11/26/2003, 10:34 AM
To have each name typed on the back would be hard when mass producing the cards that would mean that each card would have to be made separately and 10 of the same could would be made when only needing 1, unless someone has a typewriter then you could type in each name. 2 lines with print and sign could be done with no troubles.
Things slow way down for me in Dec and Jan so I will have time to mess with this then and on pass days before then.
Now that looks like a reef club card.... Good job.

nine9d
11/26/2003, 11:47 AM
Tom,
I figured to use the seal from year to year that could change. Sort of like what you are suggesting with members in good standing. It is not necessary but I thought it may be easier in the long run to just swap a sticker as opposed to changing the text on the card. But that is not only my decision, what does everyone here think?

Bob,
I am not sure which program you use for your business cards but I have some desktop publishing ones that would make it fairly simple. But I do agree with you, it would be faster to produce these without the names. Does anyone have any thoughts, names or no names? Thanks.

Tomzpc
11/26/2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by nine9d
Tom,
I figured to use the seal from year to year that could change. Sort of like what you are suggesting with members in good standing. It is not necessary but I thought it may be easier in the long run to just swap a sticker as opposed to changing the text on the card. But that is not only my decision, what does everyone here think?

:thumbsup:

andro
11/26/2003, 12:35 PM
I am undecided when it comes to the names pre-printed, but some LFS might require that it be something that cannot be easilly altered, like sign then laminate. But it doesn't matter to me personally.

As for the color change, or exp date, where I work, we validate ID's each year with a sticker, because we get discounts at some off campus locations and stuff, and they check for validation stickers, but as long as we come up with something that works fo us, we will be all set.

btw: Like the cards so far Ross, 2 better than 1, but 1 is cool too.

-Ian

nine9d
11/26/2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by andro
As for the color change, or exp date, where I work, we validate ID's each year with a sticker, because we get discounts at some off campus locations and stuff, and they check for validation stickers, but as long as we come up with something that works fo us, we will be all set.

btw: Like the cards so far Ross, 2 better than 1, but 1 is cool too.

-Ian That is exactly what I meant about the sticker. Like a validation stamp type thing Ian.

I went to the store and found some stickers that we may actually be able to use. It was like $1.50 and you got all types of different prism looking fish.

The are 6 perc's in each pack, so I figured if these were the ones we chose we could just buy like 10 packs for a whopping $15.00 and have like 60 stickers and be ahead of the game. If you guys think that this is lame or anything please let me know. Here is a sample image: http://hvreef.org/members/nine9d/images/bus_card2.jpg

P.S. - Don't worry about the money; I will give these stickers here to my wife for her scrap booking if no one cares for them. Thanks.

andro
11/26/2003, 02:42 PM
Stupid me, I read your earlier post, and thought it was to get a raised seal in the shape of a fish.

Looks cool to me.

-Ian

nine9d
11/26/2003, 02:51 PM
Now a raised seal, that would look real cool! :)

masterswimmer
11/26/2003, 08:21 PM
Ross, you are doing a phenomenal job. I'm loving every minute of this. looks soooo cool. Maybe we should have a 'member since' embossment or statement on it. That way the originals 'stand out'.

JMHO,
Russ

nine9d
11/28/2003, 09:14 AM
Hey Russ,
I am not sure what Bob can or can't do with his business card program. You may want to pose your question to him being that he is willing to print and laminate the cards for the group. Or, to make it easier on Bob, we can make a member since line on the back along with the signature line. When you sign your card, you can date it also? What do you all think of that?

nine9d
12/12/2003, 12:35 PM
So soon we forget about this!? :(

andro
12/12/2003, 01:08 PM
true...true...

Tomzpc
12/12/2003, 07:07 PM
Not everything has to happen immediately. Patience...young grasshoppas.

nine9d
12/12/2003, 07:38 PM
But Sensei, you said "He who is a fool, knows not to drool!" Have I mistaken the Shaolin Temple?

seaham358
12/12/2003, 07:48 PM
Did not forget.......
What format is the logo saved in Ross.
Can you save it as a bmp and email it to me at seaham358@aol.com
I can't get my hvreef e-mail working I tried 2 times and lost interest.

cybertomtbcb
12/16/2003, 02:34 PM
I really like this idea you guys are all very creative and on target. I think all the comments sum things up. I'm looking forward to the Jan 04 meeting.
Tom B

seaham358
12/16/2003, 04:34 PM
I have a week off coming up, so I will try and make some proto type cards for the meeting......
Any ideas for what you want on the back besides a place to print and sign names.

seaham358
12/16/2003, 05:55 PM
Ok just banged out a back for the card.
Let me know what you want in or out......

This damn site will not post it.....@#%$&*^%^$#@ I'll see if ian can post it via the website.....

nine9d
12/16/2003, 06:03 PM
Send it to me Bob!

nine9d
12/16/2003, 06:12 PM
Here is what Bob came up with:
http://hvreef.org/members/seaham358/images/HVRK-back3.gif

P.S. - Bob, if you want I can expand on your design and/or use the fonts with your idea???

nine9d
12/16/2003, 06:48 PM
To expand on your idea Bob what do you think of this?

http://hvreef.org/members/nine9d/images/bus_card_back.gif

seaham358
12/16/2003, 07:06 PM
either is fine by me I was just tossing out a idea to get some feed back on what people want on the back.

nine9d
12/16/2003, 07:47 PM
I hear ya bud. I thought the flag was a great idea that you had. I just wanted to see if it could be expanded on that is all.

andro
12/16/2003, 07:59 PM
Looks cool to me.

-Ian

seaham358
12/16/2003, 08:00 PM
Dude!!! the flag the BIGGER the BETTER.........

No ideas for what should go one the back??????

Or is that fine

andro
12/16/2003, 08:05 PM
I can see it now, our business cards will be an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of laminated paper, gotta get a new wallet for that one.

Kidding aside, I like the larger one. :dance: :dance:

-Ian

Tomzpc
12/16/2003, 09:15 PM
I like the wording on the card. Who will be signing on the sig line? If it's the member, then we'll need a line for an officer's signature as well.

While I love the symbol of the flag, and the flag itself, I think that covering the entire card with it may be a little overdone considering that we are not a political organization. Again, I love the US and our flag as much as anyone, but does it really make sense to have a flag on the back of these cards? If we want to incorporate the flag then I'd rather see a flag off in one corner and maybe a NYS logo or state outline in another as a geographical tie to the Hudson Valley. Personally, I don't think that the back of an organization's card should have much on it in the way of graphics, if anything.

masterswimmer
12/16/2003, 10:05 PM
Sensitive subject.....I'm with Tom on this one guys. Hiding my head in shame. I'd even vote for a small in the corner graphic of the fireman and policeman raising the american flag at the sacred grounds of the twin towers. Small though, not overpowering, just enough to make a statement. Sorry to buck the trend but Tom echoed my sentiments precisely on this one.

Russ

nine9d
12/17/2003, 04:39 PM
Bah! They will have to make a new sequel to Grumpy Old Men (j/k)!

We don't have to have anything on the back. Sometimes too many images can kill the effect that we are looking for. I will send Bob the text tonite that he came up with in the pretty font :)

Thanks everyone and especially Bob for printing these out and everything.

seaham358
12/17/2003, 08:01 PM
I will make a couple different ones that we can pass around at the next meeting. I have in another format one that I can't post a small flag in the left corner and a small HVRK logo in a circle I made from looking at another site. I'll try a few of them out and we can vote after that.
Ross can you send me the front again in the biggest size you can it will print better that way. The other seamed a little compressed in size.

thanks.......
Bob

seaham358
12/17/2003, 08:21 PM
Tom there is a spot in the front left lower corner for the PREZ to sign.... We could also have it printed in small print if needed on the front or back.

skearse
12/18/2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by andro
I can see it now, our business cards will be an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of laminated paper, gotta get a new wallet for that one.

That would make it harder to lose, though, on the up side.

I am in agreement with Tom & Russ on this one; though, I'm not crazy about the graphics on the back-again, in general, not to be against the flag per se, just the overall concept. Something small might be appropriate; have to wait to see them "in person" to get a feel for that, though.

Tomzpc
12/18/2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by seaham358
Tom there is a spot in the front left lower corner for the PREZ to sign.... We could also have it printed in small print if needed on the front or back.

Oops..forgot about that Bob. Thanks for reminding me!