PDA

View Full Version : meetings

alrha
11/25/2003, 12:21 PM
hey guys, i would love to join the BAS. I have a 72 gal Bow-front reef since May and i live in Manhattan Beach (Between sheepshead bay and brighton beach). However, i noticed that your meetings are always on friday nights. do you ever have meetings on another night? being jewish i cant make a friday night meeting and i am sure there is a lot i can learn from all of you.

alrha
11/26/2003, 03:42 PM
anyone?
is there anywhere that BAS has a more active forum? or is this the only one really used? because i feel like there must be more posts by fellow brooklynites somewhere.

scottdkk
11/27/2003, 09:44 AM
ya me too i just moved around park slope

LOVEMYREEF
11/27/2003, 10:43 AM
you should also check out www.manhattanreefs.com

:D

marinefish
11/27/2003, 02:36 PM
Hi guys, My name is Bernie. I was vice president of the Brooklyn Aquarium Society. All the meetings are on Friday nights. But we also have special interests groups (SIG). Some are on Friday night and some on Sunday. It depends on who's house it is at. I wish I had better news for you. We have had others with the same situation.
;) :) Bernie

alrha
11/27/2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by marinefish
We have had others with the same situation.
;) :) Bernie

it wouldnt be possible to change the meeting night to be able to accomodate others? its not just a matter of an inconvenient night that we would have to move things around, its a matter of a religous conflict which may even be an issue limiting your members.
how can we find out when you have these special interests groups?

marinefish
11/27/2003, 02:55 PM
:rollface: i HAVe tried many times over the last 10 years, but it will not be done. It is not going to happen. You have to be a member to go to a SIG.

alrha
11/27/2003, 03:16 PM
so i cant even go to the special interest groups?! - no fair! :(

marinefish
11/28/2003, 05:04 PM
Hi, You would have to join and then be informed in the newsletter about the Sigs, Bernie

JToddyBAS
11/30/2003, 02:40 PM
Hi Alrha,
As to your question about changing the day of the BAS meetings. I'm the editor of the BAS publications, John Todaro and Bernie is right, there is little chance to change the date away from the second Friday of the month. The real problem is that the aquarium has set a side the second Friday of the month for the meeting and we can't get them to change... You may not know it but the first Friday of the month is the BAS Board meeting in the Education Hall... so we meet there twice, once to do the societies business and the second to have a genaral meeting. The Aquarium uses the Hall for meeting of it own, plus renting it out to other groups. So if we give up Friday we could be bounced around and that is just not acceptable to the BAS. You don't grow to be the largest General Aquarium Society in the East by being bounced around. There is also another issue as I see it. Many of our members like the fact that meeeing take place on Friday...They can stay late because they don't have to work the next day. Also we do fly in speakers from where-ever and it works out that we get the best flight and accomidation deals for the weekend. (we tape meetings for members to see that can't make it to a meeting on that Friday) So I would as we say gere in Brooklyn FORGETABOUTIT! Now as to SIG meetings. I was all for opening them up to non-members in the hope of attracting now members...but was voted down by the board of directors...The reason was the SIG meeting were often over booked just by members, and since the meeting take place in members homes and with a limited space they felt members come first. So that is not to say they moght change ther minds in the future. But if they did how would you as a non-member know about where and when these SIG meetings take place? We dont advertise them other then in the Societie's BAS Bulletin and at meetings.
So that's the story...It still wworth it to ne a member even if you never come to a Friday meeting...you get the Aquatica and the Bulletin...and info as the when we have SIG's. Think about it! John