PDA

View Full Version : WTB-Sand-Iowa City area...

llebcire
11/24/2003, 06:58 PM
I'm looking to convert to a DSB and need to see what everyone is using and where it came from.

Been to Menards, have silica, and Lowes in Coralville is still stocking.

Thanks!!

HOC
11/24/2003, 08:40 PM
The Home Depot in Cedar Rapids had some Southdown a while back. I'm not sure if they have any left though.

llebcire
11/24/2003, 11:40 PM
Really? I'll try and drive up Tues or Wed and see.

I would use the silica from Menards, but I'm having a huge diatom problem and I get conflicting info as to whether or not that type of sand would make it worse.

Atticus
11/24/2003, 11:50 PM
I believe there is 100 lbs floating around the Davenport area. Look for drace on this board I believe he can hook you up.

rc1214b
11/25/2003, 03:53 PM
I have 200 pounds and am in Cedar Rapids, give me a shout if you want some

llebcire
11/25/2003, 04:58 PM
K-I need some, but I might just do silica.

What exactly is it? There is a place down here that sells river sand for $3.15, whether its 5 pounds or a pickup truck full, but I'd rather but something that is know to be compatible with saltwater.

How much is recommended for a 75 gallon? How much do you want for that amount?

Thanks!

Eric

lllosingit
11/25/2003, 05:40 PM
Silica will work but in my opinion it looks like crap -very unnatural
Southdown sand is white and it's cheap.

rc1214b
11/25/2003, 05:47 PM
I could be wrong about this and if I am would someone please jump in, Silica based sand would contribute to silicate being in your tank and that would fuel diatom and algae outbreaks, River sand has who knows what in it plus it would be a darker brown with larger and smaller size pebbles in it, Southdown is sand that is from the carribean and is actually a soft uniform sized sand that is tropical in nature. It is basically the same as the bagged sand at fish stores. Let me know.

HOC
11/25/2003, 05:49 PM
You are right. That's why everyone pays extra for the SD:)

lllosingit
11/25/2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by rc1214b
I could be wrong about this and if I am would someone please jump in, Silica based sand would contribute to silicate being in your tank and that would fuel diatom and algae outbreaks.
Actually this is false.
If you think about it you tank is made out of glass...glass is silca.
Silica sand will not disolve at the low pH our tanks run at.
If you search the reef chemistry forum you will find that it has been tested a few times.
I think Randy even said some silica is actually good for the tank, I don't plan on adding any anytime soon though;)

rc1214b
11/25/2003, 06:43 PM
Actually I think we are both right and both wrong, He says in his article that silica can be benificial to a reef aquarium if you can control it, He does state that in his test using a few cups of silica sand that the silicate level rose by quite a bit, he said that quartz helps control that release amount but most sands do not have enough quartz, that is why they are not white, Also he said that certain animal wastes can help speed up the breakdown of the sand that would release more silicate. He did state that southdown has much less silicate in it compared to other playsands. At the end he answers his question to whether you can use it by saying probably.. He says that a better way to introduce it into the aquarium would be by a controlled method. I personally would not want to add something that can release a chemical that fuels certain algae growths without being able to control it's amount, We have a hard enough time in our closed systems keeping things under control.

HOC
11/25/2003, 07:40 PM
I'd stick with what works and not worry about who said what. Peoples opinions change as much as the weather around here. I have over 600 lbs of SD in my systems with no problems. No experience with any of the other sands so can't comment on those. This would be another good experiment for someone in the club to try though. IMO that's the only way you know what works and what doesn't.

lllosingit
11/25/2003, 08:29 PM
I had a 30 gallon fish/coral tank not a full blown reef.
I used sterilized play sand for over a year and never had any problems at all "But" the river sand he is talking about isn't sterile and probabaly needs to be cleaned and sterilized before it's used.
I look at it this way if it comes down to paying $30 for a 20lb bag at the LFS and I needed 300lbs or more I would consider silica sand, If I can get southdown for $10 or less for 50lbs then you'd be crazy not to use it.

llebcire
11/25/2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by rc1214b
I have 200 pounds and am in Cedar Rapids, give me a shout if you want some

Getting back to my topic:

What type of sand is it and what would you like to sell it for?

Feel free to e-mail me as well!

Thanks.

llebcire
11/25/2003, 10:35 PM
rc1214b:

Got your e-mail and replied...should go through, haven't used this forums e-mail yet!

ReefWatcher8654
12/04/2003, 03:15 PM
I got about 5 bags of southdown to sell for 10$ a bag, thats what I paid for it. And guess who would get the honor of hauling up the bags from the basement. I would also trade for corals. Travis

Atticus
12/04/2003, 03:27 PM
NEW Home Depot in Davenport now open. I don't know if they have SD though... :(