PDA

View Full Version : no more powerheads for me

andro
11/24/2003, 12:48 PM
I came home with Jenn saturday night to find my LTA in my powerhead, luckilly it seems to be doing really well, it was deflated Saturday night, but by Sunday morning it was just about its normal size again. Their was no damage to its foot. It did not get chopped by the impeller at all, just sucked into the screen that I have on the bottom of it. But I have learned not to use powerheads anymore because I do not want that to happen again.

One of my clowns though, loyal as it is, did not leave the anemone while I was working to dislodge it from the powerhead. My other clown was sound asleap in the Xenia on the other end of the tank, it is a little confused, but seems content.

-Ian

ADS
11/24/2003, 03:45 PM
That's always a problem with anemones. Ritteri are the worst IMO.
Try some foam or sponge on the intakes.
Adam

Tomzpc
11/25/2003, 10:44 AM
Bummer Ian. Are you considering replacing your powerheads with a closed loop? Wave2k? ;)

andro
11/25/2003, 12:36 PM
Thinking about it in the future to use a SQUID on my return line.

Tomzpc
11/25/2003, 03:17 PM
Ian,

The SCWD will reduce the flow somewhat. You're better off leaving your return as is and running a second pump closed loop style through the SCWD IMO. That is unless you plan on some other type of water movement device along with it. I'm thinking of splitting the return on my tank using the SCWD, but my return isn't my sole source of water motion since I have the wave2k.

andro
11/25/2003, 04:06 PM
True I didn't think of that.

I was thinking after you posted this, that I could take one of my bulkheads and split it, one to the fuge to the sump, and then the other to the sump directly. The other one can go to a pump in the stand and then back up to the sqwd, astually, almost directly to the sqwd to get the less head loss, and then to the tank. How does that sound? I have run with only 1 bulkhead so I know that i will not overflow my tank. As long as I stay with the same flow from the sump to the tank that I have now.

Suggestions? Comments?

-Ian