PDA

View Full Version : Setting up house: Remote Plenum/dsb or what?

nancysnuwave
11/24/2003, 07:21 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm picking up a 135 gallon complete w/ rock, tangs, etc and moving it. This will be built into a wall in a basement. I'll also will move a 75 gallon which has two domino damsels (one Very domineering), a yellow tail and an Percula oscellaris, as well as some coral, rock, and sad to say, some out of control Calupera racemosa ?(grape). My hope is that the tangs will find it in their hearts and stomachs to keep the macro in check!

My beloved wife, God bless her, has been target and shotgun feeding these guys, who (especially the coral and algae), seem to thrive on the food. I'm thinking a bare bottom would allow some sort of vacuuming up of excess food and crap, so to speak. I've gently tried, and I fear trying to 'tweak' the feeding process any more might result in a mutiny of the proletariat. My thought is that I could just vacuum this into the remote refugium to feed the dsb (per Ron Shimek's caution told elsewhere)

Here's the question.. I'm thinking of barebottom with some type of remote plenum/DSB/refugium. I'd like to raise the live rock up on ? PVC with eggcrate?.. these tanks, or at least the 135, will be viewable from both sides of the wall (my office on one side, a rumpus room on the other), so I don't want to be forever complaining to my self about the too obvious 'infrastructure'.

Does anyone have any thoughts on design of all this (remote dsb, supporting Live rock on a plenum? Pictures and diagrams sure would be welcomed!

I've also seen a picture somewhere of a setup in which return water is dropped through a polyester batting filter, which is then washed each week or so. Any thoughts there? I'd like to tie all the tanks together for ease of maintenance, with an option to isolate a 29 gallon (did I mention that one) tank if needed.. (I trying to find a way to tell the wife just how much the damsel's would just LOVE to find a new home away from the main tanks)

Thanks, too for those offering to help move this puppy this coming Friday.. I think I've got it covered with the offers to date, but the more the merrier! (all welcome!). I'm looking forward to hosting a swap meeting in about 6 months when the tanks and house are settled in!

Chris

Bill King
11/24/2003, 06:40 PM
just a couple comments.
1st. don't count on anything eating racemosa....I like it for nutrient export, but not much else!
2nd. check out Anthony Calfo's first book...Book Of Coral Propagation
He shows some different setups you might like.
Good luck
Bill

zooqi
11/25/2003, 02:28 AM
Chris,
I have Anthony's book and you are welcome to borrow it. I have to go and get it from a friend who had it for over 9 months now.

Tagamet
11/25/2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by nancysnuwave
Hi Folks,

I'm picking up a 135 gallon complete w/ rock, tangs, etc and moving it.
Here's the question.. .. (I trying to find a way to tell the wife just how much the damsel's would just LOVE to find a new home away from the main tanks)

Chris,
Take her to the movie "Finding Nemo" and convince her that "all drains lead to the Sea" (heehee) Then just set those damsels "free"!

Tagamet
PS It's looking better and better for Friday. I'll know late tonight, when Jess gets home (Yippee)

nancysnuwave
11/26/2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by zooqi
Chris,
I have Anthony's book and you are welcome to borrow it. I have to go and get it from a friend who had it for over 9 months now.

Hi Mo,

I bought a copy, two. .I just need to dig it out and look at it!

Chris