PDA

View Full Version : Venturi Skimmers...Which One And Why ? ? ? ? ? ?

Stars360
06/25/2001, 11:34 PM
Hello everyone,

i am having trouble on deciding on which skimmer to purchase from what i am hearing the red sea prizm and the cpr backpack 2 are the top two that do a d*#n good job. this will be for my nano reef ...15g main tank and 10g refugium.

please specify which you use and your experience and if you do not own one of the two please state which you do use and why you like it..thanks so much guys

brian

skylsdale
06/25/2001, 11:38 PM
Does the AquaC Remora not count? Granted, it's not a venturi skimmer, but it's the same price as a BakPak and I've heard very good things about them.

Stars360
06/25/2001, 11:50 PM
No, it does count it is just that i really dont want to have to deal w/ the agrivation and hastle of a skimmer utilizing a airstone and air pumps...i am looking more into the venturi range that is why i posted the prizim and backpak....

BTW how is that they same price as the cpr, if it is not venturi...

brian

skylsdale
06/26/2001, 01:54 AM
I'm pretty sure it's only about $10 more, if that. And doesn't use an airstone or airpump, but an internal spray injection system. When compared to the BakPak, most people go with the Remora. They say it's a little more quiet and it's made with solid black plastic, not clear like the BakPak...so there isn't any insidious algae growing on the inside of the skimmer.

Stars360
06/26/2001, 12:05 PM
didnt aqua c just come out w/ a new one called the urchin.. does that utilize the samd principal.

brian

kennerd
06/26/2001, 01:38 PM
The urchin is an in-sump model (on the bottom, like a sea urchin) whereas the remora is a hang-on (ilke a remora)!

I have the BakPak2 on my 10, and it does stick out quite a bit over the top of the tank, and the pump inside the tank is a little unsightly, but you can also stick your sumersible heater inside of it, which frees up a little more precious space. I'm happy with mine, and it is nice & quiet.

I have heard both extremes to the good/bad with the prizms. This "poll" is much more important to us nano-folk, since we are limiting the selection to hang-ons. Most of the time, posts to a thread like this will get you all of the big, expensive, in-sump, etc. arguments, especially from those that have tanks larger than these skimmers are designed to handle. From looking at all of these posts, overall,I have heard from folks that the Aqua-C is the way to go if you can get one @ a decent price.

I picked up both of my used BP's for less than $80 each including delivery, so I can't complain.

skylsdale
06/26/2001, 01:59 PM
Kennard, if I could pull the same deal you did on a BakPak, I would definitely get one! I've heard that the Prozm is a bit noisy (can't be any worse than a Skilter, right?:p ), but people are pleasantly surprised at the junk it pulls out.

kennerd
06/26/2001, 02:10 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the skilter sounds like someone skinning a live cat in a box. Can't say I disagree too much with that one!:D

Keep your eyes open on this board, and all the others. I found both of mine within a week of each other. One is 2 years old, the other was only used for three weeks. They are not the new BP2R, which is a reef model with bubble baffles. Good luck finding one of those @ a bargain.

The Prizms have a noisy break-in period, from what I've read, but quiet down eventually.

I have the Lee's in-tank skimmer in the 12 gallon on my night stnd: can't ask for any quieter than that!

Stars360
06/26/2001, 03:01 PM
so you think the remora is the way to go, or the bakpack 2r. sounds good. i am not all that worried about pumps hanging into the tank as this is going to hang onto my refugium. if anyone sees a great deal on either of these and dont need it for them selfs. please emai me and let me know as i would prefer not to spend 150 on a new skimmer as i have probably already spent close to a grand on this lil 15g tank w. a 10g refugium.... geez i cant believe it. well anyways keep the posts commin..

brian

kennerd
06/26/2001, 04:28 PM
Brian:

(popped you another post on the circulation topic, too)

I'd go to the jury on one thing, and it all depends on what you're using it for:

If I recall, you've got a pretty "pod safe" refugium setup: pumps into the refugium, and gravity feed/siphon/pumpless return into the tank? The only thing I'd be concerned about with the BP2 is letting that pump chew up any little buggers you are trying to grow in the refuge: I might be overreacting here, since they grow in our tanks that have all the death machines spinning in therm anyway..

The refugium I put on my 10 gal FOWLR is going to be more for pod production than nutrient export, So I want it nice & cozy in there, with as little possibilty of them going through the meat grinder....If you're mainly using your refugium for nutrient export/filtration & additional water volume, then I saay no problem.

My 2 cents....oops, now I'm late for happy hour....

Catch you tomorrow,
Ken

Stars360
06/26/2001, 04:48 PM
hey kennerd this is the exact setup. 15g main tank and 10g refugium . these tanks are back to back. i use a j- tube as the syphon and an aquclear 301 as the return pump. thanks for the great reply

so w/ all that said which skimmer will do a damm good job while not grinding up my pods and worms.:blown: :blown:

brian

nvillacci
06/27/2001, 08:25 AM
It has a week or two period where it must be broken in. During that time you get bubbles and noise. But if you fill the compartment with water or some other material(I was thinking sand maybe), you cannot hear the prizm at all. It does a great job of skimming, Im wondering if I should skim at all. I have SPS in my nano so there is some debate on skimming there.

Nick

kennerd
06/27/2001, 09:28 AM
Well, the only thing to consider in the meat procesing dept here is the fact that the impeller in the powerhead\filter is what will cause the trouble, if any. However, given the size of your refugium, pop some extra live rock in there (Around the edges with a sand clearing for macro in the middle sounds cool) and the pods should be safe. Check around on ways to export the pods manually into the tank from time to time.

scd
06/27/2001, 05:00 PM
I have a prizm... It's the only skimmer I have used (was skimmerless for a couple years, but gave in after a nasty algae breakout)... I would recommend, however I turn mine off at night since it is loud and in my bedroom.

Nick, you mentioned modifying the prizm to be noiseless??? Did you do this? How?

-- Steve

nvillacci
06/28/2001, 07:59 AM
This is what I do. The chamber with the inlet tube, fill that with water. Thats it! It cuts down the noise tremendously. Also make sur eyou have the newest impeller. This one is free from Red Sea and cuts down the noise and small bubbles.
I was thinking of a more peramanent solution to the water. You could try cotton or even sand. If you do try one of those be sure to let us know how it worked out.
Also for the first 2 weeks I was getting huge amounts of small bubbles. I sloved this problem by putting a piece of filter sponge in the outlet. Right before the output hits the water it hite the sponge. Works pretty well for me.

scd
06/28/2001, 08:25 AM
Thanks Nick! I can't wait to test out the silencer methods... I'm not sure if I have the newest impeller... Had my prizm for probably 6 months now.

As for the bubbles, I had them in the begining as well, but they went away after a few weeks. I do have algae growing on the lip of the prizm which may be helping to eliminate the bubbles - but you should try removing the sponge and see if the bubles are still a problem.

-- Steve

nvillacci
06/28/2001, 08:27 AM
Ill try removing ht espnge when I get home, goodluck on your end:)
Nick

kennerd
06/28/2001, 08:54 AM
Not to start a feeding frenzy here, but anyone without a skimmer yet, check out the price on this from the Aqualink classifieds:

Topic: FS: Remora Protein Skimmer (http://www.aqualink-too.com/ubb/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004612)

kennerd
06/28/2001, 09:02 AM
And a Prizm here:

Red Sea Prizm Protien Skimmer!! Like New! (http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=27243)

Pseudo Boy
06/28/2001, 05:04 PM
Hey Kennard,

I have been away from the board awhile (accident). The Prizm is a good skimmer. At first it was very noisy and I couldn't take it. But as it broke in it got quieter. Now I don't hear it at all. They say that after you replace the 12 blade impeller with the 18 blade one it is even quieter than that. I will let you know, mine is on the way. The Prizm skims very well to me ( nice smelly crusty junk )green stuff.

Later.

Pseudo :smokin:

Stars360
06/29/2001, 12:28 PM
the one thing i hate is how many conflicting opinions i get from so many different people..:) but hey i guess that is what the board is all about :D i wish i would of saw that thing about the remora sooner as it and the prizm are already sold..

brian

Stars360
06/29/2001, 12:30 PM
Well, the only thing to consider in the meat procesing dept here is the fact that the impeller in the powerhead\filter is what will cause the trouble, if any. However, given the size of your refugium, pop some extra live rock in there (Around the edges with a sand clearing for macro in the middle sounds cool) and the pods should be safe. Check around on ways to export the pods manually into the tank from time to time.

Hey kennard can you please explain that to me a lil bit further in detail. i dont know if it is just me being dumb today but i am not following you..thanks :D

brian

kennerd
06/29/2001, 01:13 PM
One reason commercially made refugia (ie: CPR's Aquafuge) use a pump into the refugium, and gravity feed or siphon feed back into the tank is to protect the errant floating Copepod or Amphipod from going through the impeller when travelling back into the main tank. This allows them to occaisionally just go float with the current into the tank without having to get tossed through the impeller of a pump. This is usually a concern for reefers using an under-tank sump-refugium, since they need to pump water back up into the tank. It's also why a lot of people set up their refugia for larger tanks above the main tank, for gravity feed back into the main tank. Follow me a little better now?

OK, most hang on refugia are much smaller in volume & "floor space" than your refugium, so the pods will tend to reproduce & stay up in the macro algae, which causes them to sometimes float off. With the size of your refugium, and the addition of some live rock, they will hide in the rocks as well, and not be in the upper water column as much as in a hang-on model.

In your case, with more hiding spots for them, etc. you should research how people who are using sumps move the pods into their main tanks. In my eclipse set-up, the pods would reproduce in the dark fllrtation area in the hood & populate the filter pad. When I changed the filter cartridge, I would take the old one full of pods & put it into my Fish-only tank right after I put the lights out, and during the night they would scurry into the sand bed & live rock: food for the fish.

Stars360
06/29/2001, 01:36 PM
Thanks Kennard....Now i Follow You and understand what you were talking about. Now haveing said all of that. Which skimmer do you think would better suit my needs..thanks so much

brian

mr9iron
06/30/2001, 03:29 PM
Stars360, I have a Prizm skimmer and I absolutely love it. I wouldnt trade this skimmer for nothing. It currently is on my 37 gal reef and pulls out nasty green gunk constantly. I have a new nano up and going and I will definetly put a Prizm on it as well. If you give Red Sea a call at 1-888-red-sea9 they will ship you the impeller for free. I cant say enough good things about this skimmer. As for the noise issue, after a small break in period it quiets down not to mention the new impeller made it even more quiet. I consider the noise to be awhite noise and actually find it relaxing. HTH

Heres a link check it out http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22745&highlight=prizm

kennerd
07/02/2001, 08:53 AM
Sorry, Stars360:

I only have experience with the BakPak2, and definitely recommend it. I don't mind that it sticks up pretty far above the tank. It does stand @ the perfect height behind a 10 gallon, though.

Ken

b_julien
07/02/2001, 10:13 AM
kennard,
I am starting a ten gallon nano and was interested in the BakPak2. You stated that it fits perfectly on your ten gallon. Is your tank the standard size (12" high)? I am planning on putting this tank on a counter so the skimmer can't hang below the bottom of the tank. Are you happy with the skimmer and do you leave it on 24/7.
Thanks
Brett Julien

b_julien
07/02/2001, 10:14 AM
Also, how high above the tank does it extended.
Thanks
Brett Julien

kennerd
07/02/2001, 12:55 PM
Yes, it is a standard 10 gal: 12" tall. The overall height of the BP2 is 17.5" tall, so the skimmer reaches 5.5" above the tank. I have the older orginal BP2, which has two ABS plastic adjustment screws on the bottms, so I just placed a piece of extra molding I had left over from the house to steady it. The newer models have the same screws, but also two acrylic base brackets that can be used to stnad it up in a sump.. Should be close to the same height & stand up nicely behind the 10 gallon. Any taller, and it would have to hang on.

I'm happy with it: it's quiet, skims like mad & has enough room in it for my submersible Ebo-Jaeger 50 watt heater.

I am planning on ordering the AH Supply black finished enclosure for the hood, which is 3.5" tall, so all that will really show over thetop is the colelction cup, which is a smoky grey color.

kennerd
07/03/2001, 11:03 AM
http://www.premiumreef.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000645.html

Another remora skimmer & some lighting for sale.....

kennerd
07/15/2001, 10:06 PM
reviving this thread: Here's a link for you kids: BakPak2 for $80, shipped, and a 12" refugium for $75 shipped on Aqualink: act quick!

Topic: Bakpak and refugium for sale!!! (http://www.aqualink-too.com/ubb/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004683)