PDA

View Full Version : something for NARC members to consider:

yoda
11/22/2003, 01:37 PM
I think it would be nice to pool a little bit of money and get a refractometer and a TDS meter to be used by everyone at the meetings. In case you didn't know, a refractometer is used to measure salinity in a more reliable and accurate way, and can be used to check the accuracy of our hydrometers at home. A TDS meter or a conductivity meter can be used to check the quality of the water we are using before mixing salt (checking how pure the ro/di water we are using, or distilled water, etc.)

These toys tend to be impractical for the average reefer to buy, but it sure would be nice to use them occasionally. Other items of interest might be oddball test kits (boron, copper, magnesium kits and such) that would be nice to have available.

I think we can get a refractometer and a TDS meter for well under $200. I will investigate the prices some and see. I would like to hear everyones comments on doing something like this, agree or disagree. We can talk about it next meeting as well.

thanks,
Jason

Philip Root
11/22/2003, 03:46 PM
I have both that anyone can use, anytime. Just bring some water to the store.

brzerk
11/22/2003, 08:44 PM
I Also have a refractometer that I will be glad to bring to the meetings for people to use.

BRZERK

speakeraddict
11/22/2003, 10:31 PM
Good idea.

I was thinking about buying a pH tester.

If Santa brings one, I will surely loan it to members.

speakeraddict

H@rry
11/23/2003, 08:25 AM
I've got a Pinpoint pH monitor. If anybody wants their water checked I could bring it to the meeting if you'll bring the water.