PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Snowflake Eels????

revoohc
06/25/2001, 11:31 AM
Dr. Ron,

Is it possible to breed Snowflake Eels (Echidna nebulosa) in a home aquarium?

I have been looking for information on this subject, but there does not seem to be much. I'm wondering if it is even a remote possibility, or do they have some requirement that would be impossible to provide (i.e. salmon spawning in rivers type of thing.).

TIA,

revoohc

FMarini
06/25/2001, 01:35 PM
Hi:
I'm not Dr Ron, but maybe can point you in a few directions. Scott Micheals book "reef fish vol1' has a section on eels. He goes into great detailsl on locales, feeding and when possbile describes the differences in the sexes.
I would suggest to you to read this as a starting point. Next try the breeders registrys website for any info deposited there. Third try fishbase.org , as they have a fairy complete collecton of species info
Last I can suggest to you to think about the bigger picture. In that if you wanted to breed these fish what would be required. AS adults they are fairly large (3ft) and require plenty of space and adequate food. Since they reside in caves, they may be cave spawners.
This would be my first ideas
Frank

rshimek
06/25/2001, 07:59 PM
Hi,

I can't help you with the breeding of these fish, perhaps the folks in this forum can.

:D