PDA

View Full Version : RO water

speakeraddict
11/21/2003, 12:43 PM
Will anyone locally sell me some RO water?

I am setting up my other 55 this weekend and after the water issues with treated tap on the other one, would like to start with RO. I won't have my treatment equipment setup for at least two weeks and for logistical reasons, need to setup this aquarium tomorrow.

I plan on getting two new 33 gallon trash cans at WalMart and strapping them in the van and filling them.

I have also heard that Walmart brand Ro water is decent and pretty cheap - any comments there as well.

speakeraddict

Philip Root
11/21/2003, 01:42 PM
I am not real local but as a last resort I have some I will sell you.

speakeraddict
11/21/2003, 01:48 PM
This begs a question.

First, some background: I used RO water for years and never had any hair algae problems save for a few mild ones. After my divorce, I had to buy everything again and bought a Tap Water Purifier and had good luck too.

The question: Does anyone use a Tap Water Purifier now? Do you have Cyano or hair algae problems if you do?

The reason I ask is, rather than buy RO water, I may just get the TWP for initial fill and then when I get my new membrane for the setup Jason gave me, switch to RO.

speakeraddict

Philip Root
11/21/2003, 02:06 PM
This will depend on the cities water that you are on And how much skimming you are doing. If you have a good ( ETSS, Euro Reef) Skimmer, Husbandry skills and Half way good city water you will do fine with tap. If the only judge is cyno or Hair algea. I personal like R.O.D.I because I control what goes in to my tanks, not the city.

Tap Water Purifiers: Except for the smallest tanks are not very cheap to run because of the life of the media. most work for about 40 gallons then have to be replaced. 20 bucks or so. Making the water cost you a little over .50 per gallon after you figer that you had to buy the filter unit and water.

Hope this helps

Philip

speakeraddict
11/21/2003, 02:09 PM
I had one when I first moved to HSV and it lasted about 100 gallons or so. Still not cheap but it worked.

I was just wondering about anyone using one now and there opinions of it.

speakeraddict

Mariner
11/22/2003, 08:46 AM
Speakeraddict,
I get my RO water from the Culligan dispenser in the Athens Walmart -- 33 cents per gallon. I think it's pretty decent water. I've not had any serious algae issues.
Harry has an RO/DI set up in his home and might have some interesting input if you plan on going that route eventually.
FWIW,
Mariner

speakeraddict
11/22/2003, 12:13 PM
I am borrowing a unit from someone for a couple days.

I am going to start buying it from WalMart for top off after that for a few weeks and then setup the small RO unit Yoda gave me. It needs a new membrane and carbon block.

Thanks to everyone for input and help!

speakeraddict

yoda
11/22/2003, 12:25 PM
JFYI, this seems to be a good site to find RO/DI systems, cartridges, etc. I've looked around some, and they seem to be the cheapest, but I haven't compared the prices to Home Depot or Lowes.

http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com/discount_reverse_osmosis.htm

Jason

yoda
11/22/2003, 12:30 PM
I've ordered from them twice with no problems.

ChrisB
11/23/2003, 08:30 PM
I bought mine off ebay. Aquasafe on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2356173293&category=20648#ebayphotohosting)

Great price and great reviews.

Chris