PDA

View Full Version : Dave's (aka Gudwyn) 225gal aquarium (pics)

Gudwyn
11/17/2003, 07:46 PM
This is my 225gal aquarium. Just moved into the house a few hours ago. Lots of work left, but I'm pretty excited.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318first-pic.jpg

The tank is a LeeMar glass 72x24x30high (custom aquatic). Starphire on front three panels. Cabinet and canopy are cherrywood (coral reef ecosystems).

In the garage is a EuroReef 8-3+ skimmer, Iwaki 55rlt return pump, Dolphin AM3k, two tunze 6000 streams on multicontroller, Neptune ACII, 1/3HP delta star chiller, three 250w HQI in ROIII pendants on bluewave IV ballasts, two VHO actinics on icecap ballast, yada yada yada.

Thought I'd start a thread to share my progress over next several months of setup.

Dave

BTW. I'm 6'4" to give you some scale and the larger of my two pugs has his tail in the picture.

KenT
11/17/2003, 08:29 PM
Very nice!!

Twize
11/17/2003, 10:12 PM
Gudwyn
Beautiful tank!
Also, something funny about that combination of owning a big tank and 2 pugs. Same scenario with us :D

2hrs? I like the way you prioritized bringing in the tank into your new home 1st, ...was it actually before moving in the Home Audio Theater? ;) Boy IU had an earfull when I was caught setting up the "toys" while my wife was moving in all the "important" items into our new home :D

It's going to look awesome Gudwyn!

BlennyBabe
11/17/2003, 10:24 PM
wow sounds like this will be one awesome tank. Keep us posted please!

Gudwyn
11/18/2003, 12:09 AM
Lol, thanks. Twize, I had a minor typo. The tank has been in the house two hours. We've been in the house about a year now.

I'll be sure to include pugs in some of the equipment pics in the next few weeks. I've also noticed a bunch of reefers have pugs - maybe it's a fondness for pets that just hang out and beg for food.

mojodeli
11/18/2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Twize
Gudwyn
Beautiful tank!
Also, something funny about that combination of owning a big tank and 2 pugs. Same scenario with us :D

Hmmm....I have a 240 and two pugs also. Now if I could find away to keep all of that pug hair out of the tank. :-)

Cigar
11/18/2003, 07:20 PM
Awesome tank and setup
Keep us posted with some pics when you get it up and running

tfp
11/19/2003, 11:22 AM
very nice tank, stand and canopy you got there! :)
keep us posted. we don't have pugs but have a dobe and kitty.

Dakan
11/19/2003, 11:59 AM
Thats a very nice tank. I have a 120 that looks almost the same, only older and smaller. The color is almost identicle though. I love the look of your stand and canopy. I had to sand the old stain off mine and re-do it all myself to get that look. I will never to that again. It took at least 4 times longer that I had expected. Anyway, that is beautifull tank. Keep us updated with photos.

If you don't mine me asking, how much does a starfire tank like yours cost.

Toutouche
11/19/2003, 12:46 PM
Very, very nice!!! I am also currently working on a bigger tank and hopefully Starphire too. Would you mind telling me the thickness of the glass, is it tempered, where did you get the tank from, any special type of bracing anywhere? Thanks a bunch.

Gudwyn
11/19/2003, 12:59 PM
It's a LeeMar from customaquatic. 1/2" glass. I think everything except the eurobrace is tempered (can see the roller waves if you look down the edge).

Very heavily eurobraced. 6" all around and a 12" center brace. 30" is pretty tall for half inch glass. For those who have asked about pricing - check custom aquatic website for similar and add about 50%-60% for the true price with delivery (LeeMar raised price on starphire recently). You can get cheaper - but the finish quality on the LeeMar is excellent.

One issue is that the overflow is slotted 2" below top of eurobrace. If you buy a LeeMar, it may be wise to add an inch over the equivalent oceanic. At 30" it doesn't matter to me, but it would at 24".

I need to modify the canopy to sit lower to hide the waterline (simple matter of moving the support rails). I'll be doing that this week along with adding some hinges and pulley system to lift the canopy up off the tank. Will post pics when it's done.

I work on the tank from 9:30pm - 10:30pm each day. It's taken 3months to get this far so don't expect rapid progress... :)

Toutouche
11/19/2003, 01:06 PM
Thanks Gudwyn,
My plans are for a 84"L x 30"H x 28"D tank. I would REALLY like to use 1/2" tempered Starphire too. To do this, I am willing to add the Eurobracing ( pretty standard stuff) but also wouls put additional corner gussets under the Eurobracing and even add another extra layer of Eurobracing ( if you want to call it that) along the bottom inside seams all around to double up the contact area for these seams.

shappy
11/21/2003, 10:07 AM
Well the biggest of my three salt tanks is 180gal but I have 3 pugs, 2 tan and 1 black. I think maybe it is just because we have absorbed too much saltwater into our brains.

asmodeus
11/22/2003, 11:48 PM
nice looking tank man ,i remember when i built my tank with the stand i had it tall ,and i'm 6'2 ihad a fun time adding stuff and it was FW ,urgh i hate saying that word.......

FRESH WATER

its a curse i say

Mike

JEMichael IV
11/23/2003, 01:56 AM
Sweet Tank, gongrats!

Gudwyn
11/23/2003, 02:29 AM
Well, this may be a display of balls over brains... but as promised here is my canopy opened for tank access.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318canopy-hinge.JPG

I'd like to thank my wife Holli for all the support. She has been very supportive of my hobby. During the last week she helped lift ~100lbs of that canopy up 3 times and down twice. At 5'4" it's a full press above her head. Love you Holli.

Anyway, tech info. Two 2x4 screwed into the wall studs with total of eight 4" long screws. Four door hinges. A 1/4" eye screw with 4" of threads. Eye bolt and a very large washer. Some lightweight cord from REI and a couple miniture caribeeners. I forget what the flagpole figure eight rope tie thingy is called.

Slap it all together. Pray.

Then each time you want to access canopy: hook up the beeners, fift up front of canopy, and twist the rope onto the doodad. My rope is tied to top beener, looped thru lower, then looped back thru upper, then down. So it's a 3 to 1 advantage pulley.

Now on to the plumbing. Camera is out of batteries, but I have a couple custom sumps and a euroreef 8-3+ currently in the cabinet. No bulkheads attached. Will post progess as it's made - hopefully next week.

lacie143
11/28/2003, 01:35 AM
What do u do for a living, ur house looks gorgeous and ur tank is equally magnificent. Please tell me what to major in (secretly wishes u say engineering)

Reeftropicals
11/29/2003, 05:53 PM
He lives in Redmond, WA.... MS maybe?

derrikd
11/29/2003, 06:10 PM
can wait to see more pics...

sterlruth
11/29/2003, 06:39 PM
What is starfire on three sides mean?

Steve

Soltaker
11/29/2003, 06:45 PM
starphire = extremely clear...as good if not better than acryllic, but it is glass, so it is more durable than acryllic. He has it on the front and the ends of his tank.

sterlruth
11/29/2003, 06:51 PM
I'm getting a 335 gallon Oceanic and it is glass. Is it Starfire or do I need to special request this and whats the difference between Starfire Glass and the glass that Oceanic uses?

Steve

Algae Blenny
11/30/2003, 01:58 PM
Wow looks great.

sterlruth- I do not know what kind of glass Oceanic uses but Starfire is a heavy extremely clear type of glass.

serjuanca88
11/30/2003, 06:50 PM
Oceanic does not use Starphire. I beleive you have to request a custom tank. Oceanic probally doesnt do it, but ya never know

JazzMan
12/01/2003, 08:32 AM
I really like this tank....I cant wait to see it full.

crab0000
12/01/2003, 09:45 AM
Oceanic does Starfire up to a certain size I believe, but it also doubles the price from them.
Steve

Toutouche
12/01/2003, 11:37 AM
Starphire is an actual name brand of glass made by PPG that comes only in either 1/2" or 1" ( 2x 1/2" laminated together). What makes it extra clear is that it is a "low iron content" glass. There ARE other brands too and one that comes to mind right now is called "Optifloat" and it is available in thickness from 5/16" to 3/4" and is the only "heavy" glass available in the U.S that is the extra clear type at this thickness.

Tybone
12/01/2003, 02:00 PM
Nice pics can't wait to see more

Gudwyn
12/01/2003, 02:19 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the comments. Yeah, low iron glass is always extra - if you aren't asking for it you aren't getting it.

I'm pretty much done with the plumbing and have the tank full of DI water (man that 0ppm water drys out your skin fast). Just need to fill the fuge/sump so I can run the pumps. Will post equipment pics tonight.

Had some minor issues. Still can't stop a persistant slow drip at the sump bulkhead for my return pump. Need to work on it more tonight. Haven't yet gotten rotating returns so right now it's just pipes hanging down into the water.

And like an idiot, I used threaded connections in the overflow without tape. Don't care if they leak a little. Well, problem is they are now completely stuck - can't be taken out so I have no future flexibility. So word to the wise, use unglued slip not untaped threaded.

Gudwyn
12/02/2003, 01:31 AM
As promised, equipment pics.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318stand.jpg

My older daughter Hannah in front of the equipment.

Gudwyn
12/02/2003, 01:33 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318stand-left.jpg

The fuge and iwaki-55rlt return pump. Two 1.5" bulkheads feed ampmaster 3k closed loop. One spare bulkhead. Room for calcium and nilsen reactors. Not seen is a triplite rackmount right angle power strip mounted on the roof of the stand.

Gudwyn
12/02/2003, 01:36 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318stand-right.jpg

Sump. Euroreef 8-3+ skimmer. Ampmaster 3k. Dual 1.5" and dual 1.0" bulkheads in overflow. The standpipe at front left goes to sewer and is used for holding siphon hose/emergency drain. One in the middle with wires is for the three float switches - not yet wired.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318fish-closet.jpg

Closet under stairs. Chiller, saltwater mixing container, sewer drain (standpipe - no sink), DI water feed from garage, ballasts for lights and tunze stream pumps.

Gudwyn
12/02/2003, 01:37 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318ro-storage.jpg

RO storage in garage. Top brute is RODI, bottom is waste water for reuse. RODI piped from here thru crawlspace into fish closet.

Foster
12/05/2003, 09:09 PM
Very Nice!

Tag!

Tybone
12/08/2003, 04:22 PM
:D

willra
12/08/2003, 10:13 PM
This is awesome, very space efficient! Sump pics are great to see. I also like the location of the tank, and the brilliant canopy design. Can't wait to see this bad boy be full of H2O!! -Will

Gudwyn
12/09/2003, 01:30 AM
Thanks. It's got water in it now. 23ppt salinity after disolving the first 200gal bucket of IO - strange because I calculate 275gal total volume not 300. Maybe the don't measure IO to 35ppt.

My black cutting boards showed up today. Got a DIY x10 switched powerstrip half done in the garage.

Probably going to be a while before much progress. Holli wants me to hurry and get the rock ordered and fish in there. But I'm just not ready to hurry yet. I'll post pics when the rock arrives - maybe before xmas and maybe not.

eric's reef
12/09/2003, 05:26 PM
how do you plan dealing with the heat and humidity in the storage area under the stairs where your chiller is?

Gudwyn
12/09/2003, 05:47 PM
I'm installing a half louvered door to vent that area. Probably be moving the chiller down into the crawlspace this spring. Not ideal, but unfortunately there isn't a good place to cut in ventilation holes (lots of structure in those walls).

If it gets real bad I'll duct it down thru the crawlspace and out the foundation vents. Trying to keep humidity issues to a minimum by only having a covered quarantine, covered salt mix container, and sealed plankton reactors in the closet.

Splach
12/11/2003, 05:07 PM
Hey Dave,

Are you going to be running a Calicum Reactor and a Nilson reactor? I thought these did the same things. Shows how much I know.

My tank is pretty deep (31") as well so I am currently planning on the dual 400w 14K system from Hamilton possibly supplimented with a 36" 50/50 for dawn and dusk functions (still have to find a good price on a 36" 50/50 though. I am also going with EuroReef, but I am just getting the 8-2.

Big task for today is contacting the guy building my tank to make sure that he is familiar with Durso Standpipes.

Have you decided on where you are getting your rock yet? I'm planning on a 1.5" sandbed with TBS live sand and rock. Bit expensive ($1800 or so with shipping) but I really like the look of their materials.

Foster
12/11/2003, 05:18 PM
Hey Dave - Is this the X-10 fire crackers?

"Got a DIY x10 switched powerstrip half done in the garage"

Got any pics or technical specs on this? What and how is it going to be used?

Gudwyn
12/12/2003, 12:32 PM
"Are you going to be running a Calicum Reactor and a Nilson reactor? I thought these did the same things."

Yup they do the same thing. But a nilsen is limited by your evaporation rate and ability to tolerate rising pH. And a calcium reactor is limited by ability to tolerate falling pH.

The x10 powerstrip is a rly8xa wired into a tripplite rackmount powerstrip with right angle plugs (I recommend these highly because they can handle 12 wall transformers plugged into the strip). Search the DIY forum for rly8xa.

No contruction pics will be posted on this because embarrased about the workmanship and I'm afraid opening the case will break it. And I never was able to make it work with a single x10 receiver, so I need one for the ACII and one for the rly8xa.

The only advantage is the switched powerstrip doesn't need x10 signals to work properly so I can use a 15amp noise filter on the strip with lights. So other than the lights, I'll do the rest with appliance modules.

Gudwyn
12/17/2003, 10:18 PM
Added live rock today. Here are some photos. Skimmer is going crazy and keeps lifting the lid and letting goo run down the outside of the collection cup. :eek:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318rock.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318rock2.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318rock3.jpg

mr9iron
12/17/2003, 10:28 PM
That's a beautiful setup you have there. What type of LR is that. It made for some nice aquascaping. Also what do you plan on keeping in the tank? Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Vince

Splach
12/18/2003, 02:11 AM
Wow G., nice rocks. That's the thing I'll be giving up going with TBS. The pictures I have seen all look like "rocks" but your stuff looks very cool. It's amazing that you are fillin the cup on an 8 series euro-reef. I looked at one at Blue Siera the other day and those suckers are huge.

How many lbs of rock was that and of what type? Also I am assuming those are inlets from a pump(?) blowing the detrius off the rocks?

Gudwyn
12/18/2003, 02:30 AM
It's a mixture of tonga and bali (I think). Got it thru phishy buisness - came straight from LAX to the airport here. 270lbs shipping weight.

Those long pipes are the returns on my closed loop. Got sea-swirls on order, but for now it's just pipes hangin down into the aquarium.

Splach
12/18/2003, 02:39 AM
What kind of pump do you have running your closed loop, and what kind of volume are you getting with it? Right now I have everything setup to be state of the art, except my circulation which blows chunks. I hope it's not too hard to retrofit a good closed loop.

Splach
12/18/2003, 02:42 AM
:wildone: Doh... Sorry about that, the pun was unintentional. I would say that my circulation system sucks, but then that would be just as bad...

Tybone
01/15/2004, 06:47 PM
do you have any pic updates

psycho_clown
01/15/2004, 07:54 PM
great looking tank love the hood.

Gudwyn
01/16/2004, 11:11 PM
No new pics. Been a hard month with xmas, new years, switching jobs to out of state company, lots of travel, flu, etc.

The tank is a little overrun with algae and honestly a little neglected. Having heat problems and have not had time to replumb the chiller into crawlspace. Still no fish and the nilsen and calcium reactors are still in their boxes along with the rotating returns. I hope to get my routine restored soon so I can set up the quarantine tank and finish setting up the equipment.

The cleanup crew is alive and crawling, looks like I'm getting pod and snail reproduction in the tank, and there are other signs of life such as a few small feather dusters. So it's not a total failure.

Will keep you posted when things progress.

Gudwyn
02/02/2004, 02:25 AM
Well things are getting better. Here is a current pic of my tank.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318feb04tank.JPG

And this is the first fish. Came out of quarantine on Friday. Today he is out front pigging out. I'm a little concerned because his belly has gotten huge and round. Hope he isn't going to eat himself to death.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318algaeblenny.JPG

The first turf algae bloom is subsiding, never got slime algae. Either lucky or due to heavy skimming and a lot of macroalgae in the fuge from the 3rd day. The fuge "tang heaven red" from IPSF has quadrupled in mass and I've been harvesting it. Green Ulva is growing well in the fuge and has started to show up in the tank.

I also have the strange golden spongy macroalgae that isn't yet identified. May be related to the golden bubbles that range from dime to quarter size. Pretty interesting stuff.

Getting some hot pink coraline algae forming little plate formations like a rosette. Very pretty. And when the snails clean away this grey-brown fuzzy layer from the rocks, it's all deep purple under it. Need more snails I think.

I hooked up the MRC nilsen today after adjusting my calcium a little with some Kent turbo. After some minor leaks, it's working pretty well. Calcium was 360 with Alk at 8.9dKh, so it was definitely time. My nitrogen levels are also good with 2.5ppm NO3 being the only one at detectable level with my Salfert tests.

The kids love the fish and it's definitely starting to come together. I was thinking about a 2-3" purple tang next to help eat the macroalgae. Probably be a couple weeks before I get it and another month after that in quarantine.

Any comments?

Splach
02/02/2004, 10:03 AM
Sorry, this is pretty disjointed, I just woke up. That said:
Awesome rock work you have there. I don't remeber seeing any pictures of it before. Love what you did on the left side with the pass overs.

The algae sounds great. So far all I am getting is greenish haze over the glass and submerged powerheads.

I have read a great deal about those fish looking like they are going to burst so I would guess he is doing fine. Is he a lawnmower?

Hopefully my rocks will come this week...

mobius9oo
02/03/2004, 01:50 PM
What other fish do you plan on keeping, and coral? Sweet set up, I wish I had room for something that size, not to mention the cash flow.

shaw
02/04/2004, 02:32 PM
Nice setup, do Tunze powerheads actually have ballasts?
thanks
shawn

Gudwyn
02/05/2004, 12:40 AM
I'm not certain on the fish. I've gotten the equipment geared towards SPS corals, but need to wait longer before adding them.

The tunze powerheads don't have ballasts, they have a transformer and a box of electronics that can be situated ten feet from the actual pump. So they are on the same powerbar as my lights. I'm trying to keep stuff out of the stand when possible.

dougc
02/05/2004, 11:35 AM
I just now saw the hinged setup you have for your hood. I am getting ready to build the hodd for my AGA 210 and this changes everything. I never thought of hinging the whole hood like that. It certainly simplifies the construction of the hood itself. Thanks.

Jamesurq
02/05/2004, 06:53 PM
nice setup. Personally I'd advise against putting the Purple Tang in right now. Generally a good idea to put them in last. Now a Naso would be fine and won't have problems with new additions. And should do the same job of picking at your rocks.

Splach
02/05/2004, 11:45 PM
Do you know the specifics on water quality and net time up on tanks before adding the various types of corals?

I have heard various things for various types ranging from zoanthids which I hear are difficult to kill all the way to flower pots which I hear are difficult for even the most proficient to keep alive.

Gudwyn
02/06/2004, 12:46 AM
James, thanks for the advice on the fish. I'll look at Naso's.

Splach. Heck no, I'm a totally newby at this. All I know is that you go slow, read a lot, and when in doubt wait another week.

Mrbeachbum2
02/14/2004, 01:37 AM
Nice tank! I can never plan as good as people good luck what fish are you going to keep?

Gudwyn
05/08/2004, 12:02 AM
Update with some pics. I now have four fish, a handful of corals, and a clam. Going slow, but it's starting to look nice.

The rockwork is totally rearranged due to adding the yellow tang into the main tank while infected with black ich. Word of advice - get a decent light for your QT tank.

http://www.geocities.com/hollidunn/fishtankpictures/fishtank_5-04_clam.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/hollidunn/fishtankpictures/fishtank_5-04_clownfish2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/hollidunn/fishtankpictures/fishtank_5-04_yellowtang.jpg

Lostmind
05/08/2004, 03:19 AM
only 3 pics for an update? give us more :)

KRAZ4REEFS
05/08/2004, 08:25 AM
WOW, your tank is really taking shape, looks great :)

Tybone
05/08/2004, 12:42 PM
Do you have a pic of the whole tank Thanks looks cool

A Reef Scene
05/10/2004, 07:44 AM
Great looking tank

SOMEthinsFISHY
05/10/2004, 01:52 PM
I have 2 sample pieces of glass that inter-american sent me as samples starphire is 30% clearer than reg and well wort the cash if ya got it !

willra
05/24/2004, 06:16 PM
Looks great, especially the clam! new pics......

Will

lovetoreef
08/07/2004, 02:36 PM
any more updates???

reeftechie
08/07/2004, 09:11 PM
nice tank bro, welcome to the big tank club... post more pics.

RT

Julio
08/08/2004, 10:36 PM
great progress, keep posting more pics as you ad more things please.

DSparks
10/01/2004, 07:39 PM
I love that hood idea. Beautiful setup!

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/01/2004, 10:59 PM
very good so far !

Gudwyn
10/02/2004, 12:21 AM
Ok, I'm downloading the camera and will post images shortly.

Be nice. This is my first saltwater aquarium. Before that it was 8yrs of 29gal brackish in college (long time ago). I have algae. Only stuff that bugs me is the calpura - can't siphon it and can't pluck it out. Gonna try a foxface.

Gudwyn
10/02/2004, 12:45 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318fulltank-oct04.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318left2-oct04.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318center-oct04.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318right-oct04.JPG

Gudwyn
10/02/2004, 12:49 AM
Be sure to look at the bottom of page 3. I posted more photos there today.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/36318left-oct04.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/hollidunn/fishtankpictures/fishtank_7-04_coralunderbluelight.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/hollidunn/fishtankpictures/fishtank_7-04_coral2lightsout.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/hollidunn/fishtankpictures/fishtank_7-04_clownfish.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/hollidunn/fishtankpictures/fishtank_7-04_cleanershrimp.jpg

qwuintus
10/02/2004, 01:17 AM
Holy ****, nice!... Personally I like sand, but your tank looks great.
Whats that grass like brown plant on the left side of your tank? It looks good.

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/02/2004, 05:03 AM
NOW that is a fine tank and the rock work is perfect !!

DSparks
10/02/2004, 07:23 AM
Gudwyn, your aquascaping is amazing. Did you just place the rocks that way, or are you stabilizing the structure somehow (ties, drilling with rods, etc.)?

lovetoreef
10/02/2004, 08:36 AM
great job - very nicely done - aquascaping is awesome

reewik
10/02/2004, 08:43 AM
Looks very nice. Your aquascaping is really nice. Looks look you really put your soul into this set up!

Gudwyn
10/02/2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the complements.

The brown macro algaes are unidentified hitchhikers that came in with the rock. Same with the orange droopy mushroom looking ones on the pillar behind the tang.

All the rocks are hand stacked. Nothing but careful placement holding them together. Which does pose some problems. I can't really scrub the rocks because a lot of them are effectively interlocked as arches. Remove any one and the whole thing would be unstable.

Jeremy Blaze
10/02/2004, 11:00 AM
Its looking great. I am glad to see how slowly you are doing things. Most never see those algaes, as they never have a clhance to grow. Your tank is going to look so natural because of this. Congrats! I admire your paitence!

Splach
10/03/2004, 11:44 PM
Hey Dave,

This is Splach, the guy with the 150 out in Woodinville. I would love to have you come by and take a look or vise-versa.

Casey

girlpilot1
10/04/2004, 04:41 PM
Hi there Dave and Splach, I am a physics student at the UW, and I have had a 75g. set up since May this year. I am now working at Bridges' Pets up in Lk. Stevens, and I would really like to buy a large (180+) tank before I am done with school and get a real job. :) I would love to hear/see your ideas for larger tanks. If anyonw knows of someone in the area who has/will eventually have a system for sale (tank, tasteful cabinetry, and anything else useful), I might be willing to work with you. Note: I need to boast that my Copperband I have had for ~1 month is now fat and happy (and fed 3-5 times per day...). :) I am thinking about adding a small Regal Angel; any input on who is the best to get a Red Sea specimen from?

Thanks,
Heather in Northgate

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/04/2004, 10:09 PM
HELLO GIRL pilot and welcome to RC !!

where is northgate ??

girlpilot1
10/05/2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Fishy :) I hope I did not offend anyone by not explaining, but I knew that Dave and Splach would know where "Northgate" is, because they live in Western WA. It is in north Seattle, about 20 min from the UW. :)

Later,
Heather

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/06/2004, 05:24 AM
I never get offended and nice 2 have u here wish i had a landing strip here !! Grin i live on a mtn top IN maine !

girlpilot1
10/23/2004, 12:45 AM
I just wanted to thank Dave (aka Gudwyn) for letting me visit his lovely home and ask way too many questions about his reef setup. :) As I am planning on setting up a 180g., seeing what he has accomplished has given me more ideas on how and what I want to do with my system (as much as I am able to, in an apartment :P ). His equipment is state of the art, and all the animals in his care are healthy and happy to be there. Thanks, Dave, and keep the pics coming! :)

Heather

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/23/2004, 04:30 AM
glad u had fun there heather keep up the positive attitude !

tatoofr
10/23/2004, 07:00 AM
Super job,
For a newbi your doing one heck of a nice job.
Love your rock work.

Frank, http://www.freewebs.com/reefking/

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/24/2004, 05:15 AM
nice website tattoo !

adddo
12/20/2004, 05:55 AM
update plz?

MacnReef
12/20/2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by qwuintus
Whats that grass like brown plant on the left side of your tank? It looks good.

That brown stuff looks to be sargassum.

BTW, love the aquascaping!

Mike

Gudwyn
04/13/2005, 01:24 AM
Thanks. Sorry it's been a long time since posting anything on this thread. Work suddenly became a lot of work.

Anyway, the tank is settling in. Most of the algae is starting to die back. Only the orange disc looking stuff is doing well at all. No new corals or fish to report. Switched to hamilton 14k DE halides, and some of the corals are starting to show better color (but the pink birdsnest isn't as nice)

Had an outbreak of flatworms but it died back after a couple months on it's own. I have the flatworm exit, but haven't gotten the courage to use it yet.

Just yesterday I started running 10mg/hr of ozone. Amazing the change in water clarity overnight. With the starphire, you can look thru the full 6ft and hardly see any discoloration. Hopefully my corals won't get light shock. I'm happy with that change and don't plan to increase ozone in the near future.

Anyway, I'll ask my wife to take some pics and get them posted in the next week or two.

LittleBlueGT
04/13/2005, 09:45 AM
Once you use ozone you will never go back.;)

Gudwyn
04/13/2005, 11:21 AM
Yeah, both Holli and I were totally shocked at the difference just from overnight. And that's with a redsea 50mg unit running at 20% on total water volume of over 250gal. I have never gotten anywhere close to that clarity using carbon. Simply amzaing.