PDA

View Full Version : Hvrk Member Dues?

Tomzpc
11/16/2003, 12:05 PM
One of the things that has been discussed in the past and again at yesterday's meeting is the idea of incorporating member dues.
The club would have a designated account, via paypal or a savings account whereby monies collected from dues, and other means, would be set aside. The money could be used to help finance or offset the costs of things like roadtrips (to aquariums or related), website costs, member cards, advertising and maybe one day even hosting open events with speakers. Obviously it's important to mention that club monies can only be used when there is a majority (or better?) vote amongst all members but that's a further discussion. Another benefit of having dues is that it helps to define what an active member is, in other words, someone who is not paid up in dues would be an inactive member able to attend meetings yet having no say in club-related matters or decisions.

We talked about having a poll to get a feel for and make a club decision regarding dues, so without further adieu, please vote on this poll and make comments.

Please do not vote if you aren't currently a member of HVRK.

foxstop
11/16/2003, 12:23 PM
I wasnt' really sure which amount would be appropriate so I voted for a middle of the road $5.
I think dues is important for the formation of the organization and I would go along with the other two amounts as well, although I think we should probably start on the lower end and work our way up.

Thanks for stepping up and doing the poll Tom.:D

Brian

ADS
11/16/2003, 12:39 PM
I think this is a good idea. $24 per yr sounds reasonable. Also host one meeting per cycle (yearly or longer if more people join).
Who wants to set up the acct? Did any officers get voted in at the meeting...treasurer?
Adam

Tomzpc
11/16/2003, 12:47 PM
Hi Adam,

We discussed officers but I really think that we need to have everyone get a vote so we couldn't do that with only five members. The question is, how best to do it. Do we just make individual nominations, then have the person accept or decline the nomination and follow with a vote? Do we have people come forward first and say what, if any, office they'd be willing to accept and then vote? Any other ways? Can we do this without hurting people's feelings? I like to think so but human pride is a powerful thing. We should probably not do an open vote. Maybe have one person who is willing and not interested in being an officer collect votes via email? Anyone have any good ideas on this?

nine9d
11/16/2003, 01:21 PM
Well, we can also do something like $2. or $5. a month and give a cheaper discount for payment for the year in full. Like $20 or $50 a year. I forget who suggested this.

As for the officers, I think we should get someone to come up with all the titles that we may need, that would probably be the job for the almost elected secretary (Ian - LOL (j/k)). I can name a few of them off the top of my head, maybe we should start a new thread on it so not to get off topic here.

masterswimmer
11/16/2003, 02:46 PM
It's me Russ, not Ross, and I voted the middle of the road as well. In an open forum like this, we should have anyone who votes make sure they post as well. It'll keep the unwanted votes out. Hopefully.

Russ

ADS
11/16/2003, 05:04 PM
Sounds very reasonable-
I think everyone should get a turn(if they like) at some office.
But for now it might be better if we have an email election for officers-just to get ourselves organized.
Then we can hold more formal in person voting as the club grows.
I guess we'll need a charter(term duration, delineation of duties & responsibilities etc...)
I'll offer to accept the email votes-I can then send them to another member(?Ian) for impartial counting.
Officers-Pres, Vice Pres, secretary, Treasurer, special events coordinator, Sargeant at Arms(?Bob) anything else?
Adam

andro
11/16/2003, 05:41 PM
Got my vote at $5 also, not feeling the whole secretary thing though, so if anyone wants it, go for it, I would not be insulted :-p

I would however like to set up a page on our website with members tanks and stuff, with thumbnail pictures linking to large scale pictures. It doesn't seem to fit into an officer role though. Maybe club photographer.......

Hey Tom, I will post the picture of your clown starting to check out your BTA tomorrow. Got the camera charging, and the cable is at work. I got a few good ones.

-Ian

seaham358
11/16/2003, 05:44 PM
I voted $5
No hurt feeling here, not interested in any position at this time. Will make member cards if no one else will, printed and laminated. After deer season I will have time. I figure the logo Ross made and other wording on back about member in good standing Ect....

PS - I am always availabe to twist a few arms if needed......
A guy has got to have some fun......

ADS
11/16/2003, 07:02 PM
It was the uniform last meeting Bob! Couldn't resist(I wore one for ~10yrs)
Adam

foxstop
11/16/2003, 07:55 PM
I'll volunteer to tabulate ballots if no one else wants to.

Oh yeah, chicks dig the uniform thing:dance:

Brian

Reelfish
11/16/2003, 08:14 PM
The $5 range sounds very reasonable and officers are a necessity for the club. I think we need to ask how many members are interested in being an officer and which position thay would be interested in. I do not think we want the dues or hosting a meeting to stand in the way of someone joining.
Bob

Tomzpc
11/16/2003, 09:11 PM
Ok....we probably should have done this beforehand but I've been checking out a bunch of other clubs and it seems that $10-$20 a year is more typical for membership. Doing anything monthly may not be a good idea since very few people, if any at all, can make it every month. I think that we should continue this discussion for a little while and then do another official vote in a few weeks. I think that we all agree with what Bob said in that we don't want anyone to not become a member because of the money.

foxstop
11/16/2003, 09:18 PM
I think $20-$25 a year is a fair number to start in my opinion.
I think having a roster of paid members and then officers from that pool of folks would be a good start.

Brian

masterswimmer
11/16/2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Tomzpc
$10-$20 a year is more typical for membership. Doing anything monthly may not be a good idea since very few people, if any at all, can make it every month. I think that we should continue this discussion for a little while and then do another official vote in a few weeks.

I'll second this motion, or is it third already? Anyways, I'm all for the $20-25/annum and hosting a meeting through the rotation.

Russ

nine9d
11/17/2003, 10:53 AM
I am game for whatever. I think with the small group that we have so far, $25 would be a good starting point. Although, I would not object to $20. if that is what everyone decides. Maybe a new poll should be made with options for $20 and $25?? Anyone else have thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

masterswimmer
11/17/2003, 07:06 PM
Hey Ross,
Thanx for the new Avatar, it looks awesome, great job......again.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. We had a strong 100% vote approving $5/month/$60/year. Therefore, I'd say that since we are planning to lower the dues to make it more enticing for attracting new members then IMHO I think $25 would be a great starting point without the need for another poll. Besides, polls allow non-members to vote. This I think is evidenced by the single vote for 'no dues'. That person either didn't want to fess up, or it was just a transient passerby sojourning through our little HVreef world. Nevertheless, any feedback to the contrary would not hurt my feelings in the least. Just trying to get to a resolution on the dues thing. Doesn't have to be a big production.

Stepping down off my soapbox now,
It's me again, just Russ
not the other guy, lol

nine9d
11/17/2003, 07:16 PM
I'll go with $25.

Thanks Russ. I will send everyone an avatar as time permits.

Tomzpc
11/17/2003, 07:39 PM
Well said Russ.