PDA

View Full Version : aquarium suggestions???

LynusAnn
11/14/2003, 08:19 PM
I'm hoping maybe I can get some suggestions from everyone relating to their experiences here. I'm definitely brand new to the reef world, and just here learning as much as I can.

So here goes...my father and I are both planning on getting into reefkeeping currently w/ larger scale tanks. He's kept SW tanks before when I was really young, but hasn't for years, and really wants to get back into it, so I'm looking (for starters) for some tanks to firstly fill the area he wants to cover. When my dad built our house not too long ago, from my understanding he reinforced the floor in part of the house to specially hold tanks. It's a 17 ft. wall which he wants to completely cover either an aquarium, or aquarium(s). He wants approx. 2 feet of viewing area from top to bottom and wants the tanks to be approx 1-1.5 ft. wide. I'm looking at buying a tank(s) but would it be better to have one large tank custom built? or would it be better to have 3-4 seperate tanks along the wall? If anyone has an idea on how many gallons total that would be a big help to know also. I'm looking at this being my christmas gift to my father so that it at least gets him going on setting everything up. And being that my parents still both live in Idaho, if anyone has any suggestions for where/who to buy the tanks from would be great, since I've lived out of the state for a while at college in IN.

Also, what equiptment (ie. filtration/airation/skimmers/etc) has everyone had the best experience with. I know there's a lot of good stuff out there, but I'd really like to here what pro's and con's people have run into with their stuff.

Any other input that anyone can give or experiences that people can relate to for me would be great seeing as how I've learned that you can never know enough w/ my FW tanks, i'm positive the same goes for SW. :D

Thanks,
Lindsey

Ken Sellick
11/15/2003, 12:39 PM
Start off with something small like a 70G and get the hang of it. things have really changed in the last 20 years concerning reef keeping. Take your time atleast 2 years and read alot about how people are keeping tanks. Look at successful tanks and learn. A 17' tank is a large commitment in time and money so start smaller and learn if it's what you really want to do.

alan214
11/15/2003, 01:08 PM
I tend to agree with Ken but if your dad alredy has some experience then he will quickly get bored with the 70G as he already is thinking of the in-wall unit.

There's a philosophy I read all the time on RC that is passed along to prospective reefers asking the same question you are. That is to go with the biggest tank you can afford as you will certainly "outgrow" a 70, 90 or even a 100G, especially if you REALLY get hooked!.

As for several tanks vs. one big tank, I would say that one big tank is preferable due to plumbing issues, multiple pumps, etc. That means a custom tank that would need to be contructed, most likely.

Reefdude3
11/15/2003, 01:32 PM
And you would probably want more than 1-1.5 foot wide. On a tank that big 30" would be nice. But any bigger and it becomes an issue of reaching the back. Good luck! Sounds awsome!

LynusAnn
11/20/2003, 10:57 PM
I finally my father to send me picture of the wall so that you can get an idea of what it looks like that we're dealing w/. Of course, the pictures and and whatnot are going to be taken off once tanks are set up :lol: don't think my mother would be too thrilled about the possibility of them falling in the tanks.

As far as construction is concerned, set up, etc is concerned, I'd love to get anyone's opinions. There is a picture attached of the wall that it's going to be along.

rji1966
11/20/2003, 11:18 PM
I agree with 30" deep, anywhere fro24" to 30" high, nothing beats an eight foot long tank. But a six foot tank with drilled holes for plumbing could probably be had for around $1000 shipped tou you. I used inter-american, I bought my 240 and 65 at the same time with the starphire glass fronts for $1415 shipped to my house.

KenT
11/21/2003, 08:25 AM
I agree with all the above! There are so many issues you will have to address. A large reef system should not be a learning experience! I mean trial and error will prove to be extremly expensive and discuraging. Tank size, height(sp) location, where to drill holes for drains and returns, plumbing the system with drains and returns, closed loops, what type of tubing, pvc, flex pvc, or rigid pvc, valve locations, unions, what pumps to use, what type of lighting will depend on what you plan to keep, what skimmer, DSB or not, planning water change system, sump configuration, how much of a turn over rate will you need, heating, cooling, etc. etc. etc. This in not an endevor to be taken lightly, mistakes will be devestating!!!!

Also, you'll never get a tank made before X-Mass.

MadTownMax
11/21/2003, 09:43 AM
To follow up on KenT's comment, have you considered how you're getting water to the tank for top-off? Is it near some plumbing, or at least a convienient place to drill through a wall to run a line for RO/DI water. Consider some of the other more in-depth planning that needs to be done with such a large tank, then take a look at how people on this board solved these problems (large sumps in the basement, refugiums, and their associated plumbing) It will be a good idea to get all the smaller details up and running even before the tank is in it's place... Sounds like it's gonna be a great adventure, enjoy it!

LynusAnn
11/21/2003, 01:22 PM
getting water to the tank for top-off shouldn't be a problem b/c the kitchen is literally 5 ft away from that wall. Also, literally on the other side of the wall is the mechanical room where all the plubbing and major equiptment will be kept. It just requires him drilling through the wall. There's a really great guy that owns a relatively large fish store close to where we're from that's solely SW and he's been giving us pointers relating to his 50+ yrs of experience w/ reefs.

Thanks for the comments on inter-american. I didn't figure that something large would be able to be built in a short period of time anyway. I was more so looking at getting something started for him though. Tanks are definitely not an overnight job...even my tiny little 20gal FW took over a month to get started and stable. :D This is truely going to be a learning experience for me though, but my father's been in the hobby before, and I just found out that he used to work for a reef store when he was younger.

I just want to do everything I can, learn every bit I can, and buy the necessary equip. so that we have the best environment for the fish possible. I'd hate to be one of those newbies to SW that i've seen buy a tank, throw some salt in and a day later expect to put fish in and have them live.

KenT
11/21/2003, 01:25 PM
Good luck! It will be a major project to get it up and running, but once you are finished it is well worth it!