PDA

View Full Version : ozone and Ick

yellowtruck75
11/14/2003, 02:34 PM
I just got home from college for the weekend and discovered that my six tangs all have ick. What do I do to get rid of it? Will a cleaner wrasse solve my problem? I also have ozone but its not hooked up, can I hook it up and feed it directly into my skimmer (counter current just like Ron sold)? Would ozone help at all?

GarSrtn
11/14/2003, 06:53 PM
I'm no expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt...

Everything I've read about this indicates that one must ascertain the cause of the ich outbreak. There are a variety of treatments that have been suggested for ich: ozone, 'reef safe' meds, garlic, etc. Unless one eliminates the original cause of the outbreak, it will keep comming back. In short, if you can find what caused them to get it (water quality, for example) and remedy the problem, the ich should recede by itself.

ByTor
11/18/2003, 07:33 PM
the cause, stress(overcrowding), water quality, diet. are the 3 reasons most fish get ich... personally 6 tangs in a 125 :(:(:(

The best cure I know for ich is find the cause, cure the cause. Then feed more of the proper foods.Adding selcon to the mix is a good thing too.
If the fish are healthy and stress free they will cure themselves.

BTW if you don't have an ORP monitor or controller. You can easily kill everything with ozone...

yellowtruck75
11/18/2003, 08:44 PM
Sorry to sound stupid but Ron helped me setup the ozone two years agon and left me out to dry. He told me I needed two reactors. One to inject the ozone and another for carbon to get ozone out. Has anyone else done this or even heard of it this way? I currently just have my ozone generator hooked up to my skimmer. Anyone else do it this way or even use ozone?

BTW if you don't have an ORP monitor or controller. You can easily kill everything with ozone...

Can you explain this stuff

yellowtruck75
11/18/2003, 08:45 PM
Should I keep the ozone and run it or screw it and sell it on ebay? I think I paid like $400 for it 3 years ago

ByTor
11/18/2003, 09:04 PM
Ron, just smelled your money! sorry to say..... yes you need to use carbon to scrub the ozone output...

what you can do is a search in the chemistry forum. Randy can explain it alot better than me...

yellowtruck75
11/18/2003, 09:09 PM
Bytor
Where could I put carbon at if I have my ozone injecting into my skimmer? Or do you just mean put carbon somewhere in my system?

ByTor
11/18/2003, 09:11 PM
I'm not a 100% sure... sorry..
I just know it's not a good thing.

just do a search in the chemistry forumozone (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84193&highlight=ozone)

ByTor
11/18/2003, 09:14 PM
hope that helps

picassomike
11/19/2003, 05:28 PM
I used to run ozone ron's way,I still have the 2 chambers.Ozone is completely worthless,unless cause of stress is taken away.The carbon HAS TO BE on the outlet of your skimmer,both water output,and any place air goes out of the skimmer.If not either your tank or you will end up dead,ozone is toxic to humans as well.

Mike

yellowtruck75
11/19/2003, 05:54 PM
I think I have decided to stop using ozone because of the extra cost of monitors and plumbing it with the carbon. Also I had it unhooked for about 2 years and never saw any change. So does anyone want to buy an ozone generator (can't think of the brand) but it cost me like $400 and its a large blue box and the control is a dial not buttons nad no display.

Don't you love how after Ron's store is closed I still lose money because of some of his advise.

yellowtruck75
11/19/2003, 05:54 PM
picassomike
So did you ever see any difference before and after using ozone, I never did.

picassomike
11/20/2003, 04:37 PM
Yes I did see a difference,tank looked much better after I took it off.So I've never ran it since.Your ozone generator sounds like an ozotech.

Mike