PDA

View Full Version : Heteroxenia

zooqi
11/14/2003, 01:26 AM
Anybody with Heteroxenia in the area? I used to have them all over and now I don't have any backups locally or one or two hours drive. My backups are way far and won't be getting them for a while. I have given somebody some and they did not make it so I told him I will send him another frag of them but my heteroxenia system crashed last year. Now I need to send him a frag and extra frags of zoos and rics just for his patient and don't have any.

ByTor
11/18/2003, 07:45 PM
MO is that the typethat was attached to that mille colony I got from ya??? if so, come and get some it's a real weed!

Tagamet
11/20/2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ByTor
MO is that the typethat was attached to that mille colony I got from ya??? if so, come and get some it's a real weed!

Based on the rate of growth, I'm guessing that that be red sea pom pom. I have whole areas of it that grows great, but not as fast as the elongota (and a lot prettier, too). It's still a lot faster growing than the hetero, though. Mo, I bought a piece from you a long while back and it's done fine, but is still relatively small. I think it MAY have attached to a second small rock though, so I'll check after work. If it has, you're surely welcome to it. I can run it down to you pretty much any evening.
Tagamet

Gary Majchrzak
11/20/2003, 10:11 AM
Adam {near Pittsburgh} was the big source for Heteroxenia.

zooqi
11/20/2003, 08:53 PM
Tag: yes you got them from me and they were the once that I used to frag all over my tank.

Gary: Adam was in my list. He got my babies that I used to propagate and he has been propagating them since. I used to have over 200 of them and propagate them almost every week.

:)

Tagamet
11/20/2003, 09:32 PM
Mo,
I know the one on the left is a hetero, but can't tell if the one on the right is too. If they are both hetero, you're welcome to the one on the right. If only the left one is a hetero, you're welcome to frag it as long as I have something left of it. Maybe just cut it off and give me the rock with the stump for it to re grow.
Let me know,
Tagamet

zooqi
11/20/2003, 10:26 PM
here is heteroxenia

zooqi
11/20/2003, 10:27 PM
bigger and clear pic

Tagamet
11/20/2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by zooqi
bigger and clear pic

To these old bleary eyes yours look like these in my tank. If that's what you need, they're yours. I've been calling these pompoms.
Tagamet

Gary Majchrzak
11/21/2003, 12:06 AM
Is Heteroxenia the same thing as 'Pulsing Sinularia'?
http://www.calacademy.org/research/izg/Heteroxenia.htm

zooqi
11/21/2003, 12:30 AM
Tag: those are the heteroxenias like those you got from me and many people thought they were pom pom including me and probably I told you they were pom pom untill I found out they were heteroxenia. Some countries they have a common name for them as (donkey coc?) with k. :) and I belive Bali people call it that.

Gary the one in the pic is heteroxenia but that is from different area than the one I had and they don't grow as high ender the same light. The pulsing sinularia looks like regular sinularia except is a little more fuzzy and polyps retract every few seconds.

Tagamet
11/21/2003, 12:43 AM
Tag: those are the heteroxenias like those you got from me and many people thought they were pom pom including me and probably I told you they were pom pom untill I found out they were heteroxenia. Some countries they have a common name for them as (donkey coc?) with k. :) and I belive Bali people call it that.

Gary the one in the pic is heteroxenia but that is from different area than the one I had and they don't grow as high ender the same light. The pulsing sinularia looks like regular sinularia except is a little more fuzzy and polyps retract every few seconds.

So now that we are on the same page, when do you want some, and how many do you need? All of mine are, of course attached to rock. Some are on rocks I think I can chisel off, some would require moving a lot of the rock that they are under. If you want some that I just cut off the rock, that would be easiest, but not too cool if you need to pass them on soon. Just let me know what you want to do (and when), and I'll try to accomodate you.
Tagamet

zooqi
11/21/2003, 12:53 AM
Thanks Tag and no rush. You can cut the whole head off the rock and I will attach it so your main base grow back. If you cut it as close as you can to the rock and leave a circle of the base and then after a week take a razor and slice the base that has small polyps that started to grow to many pieces then you will have many of them growing there. Whenever you can and around. Thanks,,

Tagamet
11/21/2003, 07:43 AM
Thanks Tag and no rush. You can cut the whole head off the rock and I will attach it so your main base grow back. If you cut it as close as you can to the rock and leave a circle of the base and then after a week take a razor and slice the base that has small polyps that started to grow to many pieces then you will have many of them growing there. Whenever you can and around. Thanks,,

No problem. How many do you wnat? Don't be shy.
Tag

zooqi
11/21/2003, 08:58 AM
I will take two to start with and hope I can grow them like before. I will let you know when and I will start getting a system ready just for them.

Tagamet
11/21/2003, 09:18 AM
I will take two to start with and hope I can grow them like before. I will let you know when and I will start getting a system ready just for them.

Just drop me an email when you need me to decapitate a few for you.
Tagamet

zooqi
11/21/2003, 12:43 PM
thanks,,, I will do that.

Sanjay
11/22/2003, 08:56 AM
Zooqi:

I was about to offer you a peice of the Xenia that I have, but unfortunately in the past 2 days its developed some sort of problems. Its not opening up like it used to and is dropping polyps all over the place. It seems to have some sort of white patches on the stem and that look like dead tissue. Have no idea what the problem is or if it will recover.

On another note, I got some more of the flamingo pink zooanthids, so if you want a peice of that let me know.

sanjay.

Tagamet
11/22/2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Sanjay
Zooqi:

I was about to offer you a peice of the Xenia that I have, but unfortunately in the past 2 days its developed some sort of problems. Its not opening up like it used to and is dropping polyps all over the place. It seems to have some sort of white patches on the stem and that look like dead tissue. Have no idea what the problem is or if it will recover.

On another note, I got some more of the flamingo pink zooanthids, so if you want a peice of that let me know.

sanjay.
I have plenty of hetero if you'd like some. I could be a courier for Mo's zoos while I'm at it. Just let me know. Is it a home game today? Tomorrows my daughter's birthday, or I'd suggest that, but I could shoot down there after the congestion is over if it's a home game.
Let me know,
Tagamet

zooqi
11/22/2003, 02:11 PM
Is good to have good reefer friends.. :D flamingo pink zooanthids sounds great and I liked the color of those that you have and can use a frag if that. Please save me a frag. If the stem is having pumpy thing on then it can be one of the two: Is not heteroxnia and is having the bump to attach to any rock you put next to it or is Heteroxnia and is getting infections.
Thanks Sanjay and Tag

Zooqi:

sanjay.

Sanjay
11/22/2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Tagamet
I have plenty of hetero if you'd like some. I could be a courier for Mo's zoos while I'm at it. Just let me know. Is it a home game today? Tomorrows my daughter's birthday, or I'd suggest that, but I could shoot down there after the congestion is over if it's a home game.
Let me know,
Tagamet

Tag:

Sorry I saw your reply too late. Was busy all day and did not check the forum.

If you want to come down here Mon, Tue or Wed let me know.

sanjay.

Tagamet
11/22/2003, 09:14 PM
Tag:
Sorry I saw your reply too late. Was busy all day and did not check the forum.
If you want to come down here Mon, Tue or Wed let me know.
sanjay.

I'm afraid our window of opportunity is closing quickly. As I mentioned, my daughter's B-day is tomorrow. If she has plans with friends, it'd free me up sometime tomorrow afternoon/evening. After that, I have meetings through 8:30 PM Monday and my other daughter returns from college Tuesday. I obviously won't miss that either. The possibility of Wednesday afternoon is still there, depending on the family's plans. I'm guessing late afternoon, early evening tomorrow (Sunday) or mid-to-late afternoon Wednesday. I'll know better when my daughter gets in tonight.
Tagamet

Tagamet
11/22/2003, 10:50 PM
Sanjay and zooqi,
It looks like mid to late afternoon tomorrow is opening up. Sanjay, if you'll be around, I could at least get the xenia to you and pick up zooqi's pinks. If he's available tomorrow evening, I'll go right through to his place. If not, I can hang onto them for a few years (g). He'll get them *eventually*.
Tagamet

zooqi
11/23/2003, 12:50 AM
Tag: if you are going that way then please do that and you can call me and drop them to me or you can call me.

Sanjay: you got PM..

Tagamet
11/23/2003, 01:00 AM
Tag: if you are going that way then please do that and you can call me and drop them to me or you can call me.

Sanjay: you got PM..

I haven't heard back form Sanjay yet. I emailed him too.
Tag

zooqi
11/23/2003, 02:21 AM
He must be taking a break from the puter. Sometimes I do that on the weekends too.

Tagamet
11/23/2003, 10:43 AM
Looking like maybe late pm today. I need to call him yet. it'll be after 6 pm anyway. I'll let you know after I talk to him. gotta run - b-day.
Tag

Tagamet
11/23/2003, 11:04 AM
Zooqi,
I talked to Sanjay and will make the delivery/pickup around 6 this evening. I'll be back in LH probably by 7. Let me know if you want you zoos tonight (which would be fine), or some other time. I get to Wmsport a lot, but things are really cranped the next week.
Tagamet

Tagamet
11/23/2003, 09:41 PM
Thanks to both of you for the SPS contributions! I hope the xenia and zoos do well. Mo, you've GOT to quit abusing those SPS!
Tagamet

zooqi
11/23/2003, 10:01 PM
Tag: I was going to take them to the mall tank but i don't have any space for them and that's when you come to rescue them. :) I figured you can use some sps.

Tagamet
11/23/2003, 10:03 PM
Tag: I was going to take them to the mall tank but i don't have any space for them and that's when you come to rescue them. :) I figured you can use some sps.

I'll toughen them up, until you have some room (g).
Tagamet

Adam
11/27/2003, 12:53 PM
Mo,

I have two stalks of the xenia of yours I got from Ron's. After further research, I am almost certain that it is not heteroxenia. It behaves alot like it (non-branching, tall, polyps arise from a "head"), but it does not have dimorphic polyps.

In any case, I am probably going to be in State College the weekend of the 5-6th of December if you want to meet me I will make you a cutting.

Adam

Tagamet
11/27/2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Adam
Mo,
I have two stalks of the xenia of yours I got from Ron's. After further research, I am almost certain that it is not heteroxenia. It behaves alot like it (non-branching, tall, polyps arise from a "head"), but it does not have dimorphic polyps.
In any case, I am probably going to be in State College the weekend of the 5-6th of December if you want to meet me I will make you a cutting.
Adam

I agree with you. I have two very small stalks of xenia that do not fit either the PomPom or certainly not the elongota mold. They are darker, single stalked and grow incredibly slowly (in my tank anyway). I believe that these MAY be hetero, but I'm certain that they are different than the other varieties I've had. Can you post a picture of your hetero with which I can compare my "oddball" variety?
Thanks,
Tagamet

zooqi
11/27/2003, 05:48 PM
Adam: if you got them from Ron then they were the once I had because I remember you asking me how to frag them a couple of years ago. I still don't mind a frag of those pulsing sinularia if you have any.

Tag: I know you got some from me a couple of years ago so I know what you got.

Tagamet
11/27/2003, 06:03 PM
Adam: if you got them from Ron then they were the once I had because I remember you asking me how to frag them a couple of years ago. I still don't mind a frag of those pulsing sinularia if you have any.

Tag: I know you got some from me a couple of years ago so I know what you got.

ALL of the xenia I have came from you Mo. The one variety is just different than the others.
Tagamet

clarkyclown
12/07/2003, 04:03 PM
hey mo if you would like i have some hetro i thonk in my tank ive been cutting it up and have many frags if you would like?If you are coming with the zoos and rics for that huge leather.Ill give you some.I just made a rock with 15 heads on it:) It looks really good.