PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Propagation

ejmeier
11/13/2003, 12:07 PM
I was reading in your book that you mention supension as being most successful for, among other corals, Galxea? Is this right? :confused: Were you talking about the more uncommon braching form - Galaxea horrescens?

Also, as long as we are on the subject, what has been your experience with some of the more colorful acropora with re: to suspension? I was thinking of some of the acropora that like to build a large base and it takes them FOREVER to finally get around to growing branches. Might this technique be well suited to these types of corals, as they will have "nowhere to run"? :)

Anthony Calfo
11/13/2003, 12:57 PM
Actually... it is very effective for G. fascicularis just the same. Bear in mind that suspension culture is merely a means to an end: growing product faster in the safer environment (no benthic nuisance or pest encroachments) of suspension (same or better light and water flow than anchored pieces).

Thus... instead of making a frag, fixing it to a substrate and waiting for it to grow... in suspension we are making a frag, growing it faster, then fixing it to a substrate (often times breaking it in half at the end of growout and capturing the break with epoxy or glue as a convenient point of attachment).

Truly... it is primarily about growing coral mass faster and not about making a final product.

Have you read the threads by others that have tried this here on RC in the archives... or the article published online here at Reefkeeping? Do check them out for a little more insight if you haven't seen them yet.

best of luck!

Anthony

ejmeier
11/13/2003, 01:10 PM
I think I really should do some searches....:)

Anyway, I understand the part of simply growing a giant mass and then fragging off of this. I think of it as a better means of growing "parent" stock.

I was just curious with the Galaxy coral because they are mainly encrusting... What in the heck do they look like when suspended? What shape do they take on?

Anthony Calfo
11/13/2003, 03:18 PM
it depends on water flow, but the morphs are generally spherical with lobes. Really pleasant to see and handle.

TippyToeX
11/13/2003, 10:02 PM
ejmeier- Just wanted to be sure you found this (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107664&highlight=Suspension) thread. Great read! :)

Anthony Calfo
11/13/2003, 10:05 PM
she's good... she's very good :)

thanks tippytoex!

TippyToeX
11/13/2003, 10:06 PM
http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/ruinkai/biggrinjester.gif Heehee

Ocean Image
11/14/2003, 03:15 PM
TippyToex, great thread find. I hope it can be rejuvenated for the results of everyones expericmentation. Thanks

Anthony, I didn't know you had your own forum; cool.

TippyToeX
11/14/2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Creeper
TippyToex, great thread find. I hope it can be rejuvenated for the results of everyones expericmentation. Thanks

I hope to hear some updates as well. FYI, it has been bumped in the Coral Propagation and Aquaculture (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=157) forum. :)