PDA

View Full Version : New 10 gal nano

snafuforyou
06/21/2001, 12:03 AM
I'm planning on setting a 10 gal reef on top of my desk at work (to replace the 5 gal). Lighting will be 2x24 jbj pc 1 white 1 blue(allready have).
Is this enough light for corals and possibly a clam. I have room to add another light was cosidering using either 36 watt or 55 watt from ah supply im sure i can fit the 36 watt-maybe not the 55(too long) Is this too much light? The tank will have about 15-20 lbs ls and 15 lbs lr. Any suggestions on corals would be appreciated also want to add 2 or 3 fish. My 5gal has been set up for a year with 1 percula - acolony of mushrooms-a colony of polyps-a pep shrimp 1 hermit 2 snails (unknown) had a second percula but 2 months ago after cleaning tank and weekly water change i left cover off of the intake and the small guy got sucked in. He didnt survive. :-(
Suggestion are appreciated.
TIA
Snafu

lakerfan
06/21/2001, 12:55 AM
IMO the more light you can put the better. I have a 2 x 55 watt PC setup from JBJ on top of my ten gal and i'm loving it. check out my tank pics on my site to see it. the tank will look really nice under the 2 x 36 watt setup from ahsupply with the reflectors.
As far as corals go I've faired pretty well with the LPS that i have and some shrooms. I can;t wait to start getting some SPS in there.
If you have anymore questions ask away and welcome to reef central. I will offer whatever expertise i have

scd
06/21/2001, 03:54 PM
Just a comment on JBJ lights. I have 2 X 55w JBJ on my 15g. Have yet to try a clam or SPS but it grows LPS well. Anyway, my post is more a heads up for those with JBJ lights. I had mine for about a year and the ballast went for one of the bulbs. After speaking with my LFS and TRansworld Aquatics (the supplier of JBJ to the US) I found out that it is not uncommon for the ballasts to go bad on the original model. The original (Formosa) models did not have fans built in (LAKERFAN - I saw from your picture that that is what you are running.) The new model has dual fans built in one end.

To take advantage of the warranty, I would have had to mail the whole fixture back to the company... (what would I use to light my tank in the mean time!?!?!?) So, as it turns out, if the fixture goes bad, you can bring the light back to the authorized dealer were you bought it and exchange it for the new model (have to pay the price difference for the fans).

Just an FYI...

mr9iron
06/21/2001, 09:42 PM
Like they say the more light the better. You may look at the coustom sea life retros. I have the 32 wat kit that is half actininc and half 10000k and I love it. As for corals I have brick red mushrooms,blue mushrooms,purple mushrooms,xenia,colt coral,4 leathers,Piorties(i think), im sure im forgetting something. I had a hawkfish in my nano but I removed him when I decided to redo my tank. Im thinking mabey a fire fish or a barnacle goby that I aw in another post. HTH

snafuforyou
06/22/2001, 07:06 PM
Thx for all the sugestions-

I want to get a coral that can host a clown fish but not an anemone(I have read conflicting reports that anemone's are
harder to keep). Any suggestions?
TIA
Snaf

mr9iron
06/23/2001, 12:05 PM
Snafu, I would suggest that you try a colt coral. Every since I got mine my clown wont leave it alone. Its really cool to try and watch him feed it, he has tanken up a new residence in it. HTH

kennerd
06/23/2001, 05:11 PM
Plate coral are another option: just watch out for sweepers.

I have a neon green goniopora in my 12, and my cinnamon clown loves it. I don't recommend this coral, and I bought it before doing the proper research on it. I have been lucky (well, TOO lucky!):

He has a 3.5" skeleton, and when I purchased him back in December, only 2" max polyp extension. Now, with good, random water circulation & fine conditions, he has almost 4" polyp extension & a lot of new arms. He looks great, but takes up a majority of the tank.

Ken

snafuforyou
06/24/2001, 06:26 PM
Thx again for the suggestions.

i've set up the tank. It has about a 2 1/2" ls bed with about 13 -15lbs lr 1/2 covered w/ coraline.

I'm using the guts to the jbj 2x24 watt I retrofitted in my homemade canopy.

I've added my cleaning crew (I got the 10 gal pkg from Jeff's Exotic Fish) for $18 plus tax.

My circulation is 2 powerheads 1 upper rt and the other lower lt.

I will be using a Lee's skimmer that I will cut down to fit in an outside filter box(to keep it out of the inside of the tank) It's the airpump kind. It will give me some skimming (better than none).

Now all I need is some corals :)

If I can get my hands on digital camera I'll post some pictures.

Thx again for suggestion

Snaf:cool:

kennerd
06/24/2001, 10:22 PM
I have a Lee's in my 12, and am pretty happy with it. Doesn't churn out skimate like crazy, but what goes in the cup is think & nasty.

For now, mine's in-tank, and fits right in the open area in the back of my eclipse hood. I'm on the verge of picking up a black enclosure from AH Supply, and retro all of my lighting into it, then pop the BakPak2 I have been waiting to put on it. Out comes the skimmer, heater & intake for the eclipse hood, and I'll get that corner of the tank back again.

IMO: The Lee's is a pretty good little skimmer for the money.