PDA

View Full Version : Blind Purple Tang

Mags1
06/20/2001, 10:59 PM
HELP!!!
My purple tang has gone blind. I have had him in my reef for over a year. He has been somewhat aggressive when fed. His color has been good and his behavior has been normal.

Until yesterday when things went bad. His color has faded in the front of his body( from just behind the gills to the tip of his mouth.)
He has worn through his lips from rubbing on the glass and running into stuff.
His eyes are clear and there is no lateral line problems. He is fat and has been eating. Also there are no unusual splotches or fin erosion. The only body damge is his snout.
My water tests check out Amonia 0, Nitrites 0 , Nitrates 0, Phosphates 0, Ph is a little low at 8.0, Salinity abit high 1.028.

This malady happened over night.

I have since placed him in a hospital tank. And have started treating with muracin2. His color has improved but he still seems to be blind. He also has not started to eat yet. Any suggestions?
Please help.

rshimek
06/21/2001, 10:04 AM
Hi,

I wish I could help, but I can't.

Hopefully, the folks in this forum will be able to provide some advice.

FMarini
06/22/2001, 10:42 AM
Hi:
So two things......
Blindness can occur from 4 events
1)Trauma
2) nutrient deficiency
3) genetics
4) disease
You tell me which one you think?
I'll bet on the first two, either this fish got into a serious event (ie running full force into the tank wall, or getting boinked on the head from a falling rock), or over the past yr that you've had him you've feed him foods lackin certain nutrients. Have you noticed any stress signs or symptoms anything unusal over the past days, weeks, or months (maybe HLLE?)? A change in habits, etc?
What concerns me is that he blind but doesn't sense the tank. I've cared for a blind harlequin tusk, and he could manuver quite well in the tank avoiding rock, other fish etc. He just couldn't see and i had to hand feed him.
SO my feelin on the matter is he got nerve damage either from trauma, disease, or nutirent deficiency
I'll take any other suggestions as well
my opinion
frank

Mags1
06/22/2001, 03:07 PM
I have not noticed any traumatic incidence where he was bonked on the head by falling debris.

As far as nutrient deficiency I am not sure.

I have been feeding every day 2 times/day.

This is the feeding schedule.

6:30 -7:00 a.m.
Life line pellet (Herbivore minced).

9:00 - 10:00 p.m.
Life line pellet (Herbivore minced).and mysis shrimp from feeding my tubastrea

I also provide occasional green nori and calurpa.

Like I mentioned before his color is great and his body thickness is healthy. His eyes remain clear and breathing is stable.

I am totally lost with this one.

Any help is appreciated.