PDA

View Full Version : Another Narc meeting nov 29th

brzerk
11/12/2003, 04:22 PM
Hello again
Ive checked with another lfs in oxford called aquaescapes.
They are interested in having a NARC meeting this nov 29th.
They also are willing to give a discount to Narc members but I havent discussed what it would be yet. Please reply if this is something members want to do.

I posted a thread for a meeting jan 10th but there was not alot of response to it. Please email and let me know if meetings like this are the type of things Narc members are interested in. If so I will continue to work on discounts, meeting places and a place where we can get together and have a good time.

Thanks bzerk

Mariner
11/12/2003, 05:13 PM
Just thinkin out loud here-- stuff to consider: Until this month, most NARC meetings have been on the second Thursday of each month after folks get off from work, but then we've just been meeting in Huntsville, Madison or Decatur. Oxford is going to be a 2+ hour drive for many of us in this area, so if we had a meeting there, it would probably need to be on a Saturday. November 29 is the Saturday of Thanksgiving -- some folks may have family obligations, etc. -- or they may not.
Tomoko is already working on a meeting for December. We've been saying for months we'd have a meeting at The Aquarium Shop in Huntsville, and I think the owner there is looking for us next month. He has an "upper room" available for us.
Personally, I think going back to planning a January 10 meeting in Oxford would be good.
FWIW,
Mariner
p.s. Discounts are ALWAYS good ;)

speakeraddict
11/12/2003, 05:23 PM
Let me know whatever is decided so I can update the calendar section of the site.

If no other meeting is scheduled for November, I will take down that calendar.

Also, does anyone think marking birthdays on the calendar is a good idea?

speakeraddict

reefala
11/12/2003, 05:44 PM
How do I join NARC?:confused:

Mariner
11/12/2003, 06:42 PM
Reefala,
Welcome to the club!
http://reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif
Just send your name, address, e-mail, RC handle, etc. to Speakeraddict. He'll forward it on to me and I'll have a membership card for you at the next meeting --- uhhh probably. ;) :D
Mariner

Tomoko Schum
11/12/2003, 09:29 PM
Better yet, go to our new website and register on line. We have a new address for our website since Steven's friend Ray decided to provide space for our club inexpensively.

Steven, please post the new website address ASAP.

Tomoko

brownisbetter
11/12/2003, 10:31 PM
I agree with Mariner. I think we should go back to having the regular meetings on the second Thursday somewhat locally. We could always schedule a "roadtrip" type meeting every few months on weekends.

farmernick
11/13/2003, 12:25 AM
I agree!!! A road trip every few months lets say something like every 3 months would not be bad. But I know sometimes the local ones every month are hard for me to get to let alone being far away.

Nicholas

kng
11/13/2003, 07:44 AM
I agree. Historically though, the meetings have been the first Thursday of the month.

A road trip is good about once a quarter, but the reason we originally started this club was so that we wouldn't have to drive 2 or 3 hours to meet with other reefers.

-Kyle

speakeraddict
11/13/2003, 09:19 AM
I agree. With three kids, it is hard to travel.

I vote for the first Thursday of the month.

speakeraddict

brzerk
11/13/2003, 03:05 PM
meetings every month are great, but you accepted out of area members and thursday nights from anniston are impossible. also noone has set up anything solid for a meeting and there was not any structure to follow so i was just trying to throw out some meetings so everyone can get together and enjoy them. i dont mind at all coming to huntsville or area on a weekend. but most people said that fishtales was the most solid meeting that narc has had. that is what i have been trying to schedule.

for members and new members something should be sent out about meetings and get togethers and the standards for them.

speakeraddict
11/13/2003, 03:22 PM
The meetings will be posted on the calendar on the website.

I agree it is pretty far to make it from where you are.

We will run in to problems if we try to meet too often or too far.

This is a case where we are not going to make everyone happy. Let's all try to come up with a solution.

I will post a new thread with a poll to this effect.

Steven

Tomoko Schum
11/13/2003, 04:58 PM
It seems to me that we are beginning to experience a growing pain as a group. NARC is a very new club. We formed NARC and started our monthly meetings back in June right after a few of us got together for a frag swap. We do not have a formal structure or bylaws since we did not find it necessary so far. I hope to see our club grow and include more people outside of the greater Huntsville area in the future. I suppose we will need to change the format and the timing of our monthly meetings to accomodate more people in the future. I welcome other's thoughts on this including the people in the Birmingham group. It would be fun to have joint meetings or have a field trip toghther in the future with other groups, too.

As far as the club communication is concerned, we can continue to discuss club related things in this forum as we did in the past. As Speakeraddict mentioned, we have our new website with a calender to announce our future meetings and I am sure one of us will also post an announcement here for our future meeting.

Tomoko

brzerk
11/13/2003, 05:11 PM
i have now seen the websight for the first time it is great how to i get my tank pic and info on there.
the meeting ordeal i dont mind at all going to huntsville i just cant during weekdays the nov 29th meeting i told the store owners that it couldnt be done at that time they just want to know when they can reschedule it as for the jan 10th the owner is very excited with plans that are great and will have all details in next few days when all is solid
just to let all know, this reef club is something great to me its hard to get together with people of the same interest without something like this going on.
remember keep the fish fed

Tomoko Schum
11/13/2003, 05:38 PM
brserk,

Would you tell us a little more about the shops you are talking about? How does it compare to Fish Tails?

Tomoko

brzerk
11/13/2003, 06:02 PM
valley tropical fish
the store has 2 main coral tanks
a show tank and yes the coral is for sale in the show tank
a anemone tank
i think it is eight salt water fish tanks
3 more tanks that will be up before the meeting frags,sps and clams
also full line of fresh water
nothing has compared to fishtales coral but valley is not far behind and with the addition of 3 tanks will be close but i dont think it will top philips frags at the rate he is going i dont think many stores can not just valley

aquaescapes is a brand new store with 6 coral tanks it is a top of the line store set up but at this point there selection is smaller . in comparison it does have more than john newby they have a nice setup but they are new they need a little time to get stock built up they have a 285 show that is being set up a bowfront shark tank and a micro algae tank i think they have around 15 or so saltwater fish tanks no comparison to fishtales but it is a new store

all in all fishtales is about the best store out there the time and effort philip and jerry put in the place shows but i think everyone will be impressed with valley and aquaescapes

kng
11/13/2003, 06:06 PM
When Tomoko, Steve, and I first met at Pet Gallery this summer, we were just trying to swap some frags. After seeing the success in this, the idea for the club arouse. It's intent was for people who lived/worked in the Huntsville area to swap corals/ideas. It's nice to stop by after work on the way home to go to a meeting. The convenience it what keeps the meetings happening.

Brzerk I know you can't meet in Huntsville during the week, but it is convenient for us. However, I suggest you keep planning this meeting at these other two fish stores. (The one looked like it had great deals on tanks!) Just plan the details (location/time) and I can gaurantee you will have people show up. That's all we've been doing.

This would help NARC too since your area would be able to tell us where the best stores are. By the way I think there is an active club in Birmingham that may be closer to Huntville to you.

You've got it better than we do here in Huntsville. You have Reef Life and they have the best frags of any store I've been in.

-Kyle :)

greenbean36191
11/13/2003, 06:33 PM
Hey Kyle, you forgot me! I was at the first meeting too. :) Seriously though, I think we should concider changing the meetings to weekends. We welcomed the Anniston people into our group and now we are alienating them. It's almost like we are using them to get discounts and meetings at their nice stores. If they are willing to compromise by keeping the meetings local then we should compromise by making them at times they would be able to attend. I'm just worried that our club might get a bad reputation if we are unwilling to bend to accomodate some of our members.

OT
Mariner, I'm still xenia-less ;). The frag was on the side of the plug that the blastomussa came on and I think the plug was laying on the xenia on the way home. It looked pretty rough by the time I got it in the tank and it melted down :(.

Tomoko Schum
11/13/2003, 08:19 PM
Greenbean,

Don't give up on xenia too soon. It's true that xenia does not travel well when mail ordered. However, xenia is amazingly tenacious. They will come back up from just a smear of a tissue. I am sure Steve won't mind fragging you some of his xenia. I'd be glad to frag my xenia for you, too. But in the mean while, keep the melted one in an area with a good water flow for a while longer to see if it'll come back to life.

Tomoko

speakeraddict
11/14/2003, 09:22 AM
brzerk,

If you want your pics posted, send me the info and pics and I will set you up a page on the site.

speakeraddict