PDA

View Full Version : Sump

nine9d
11/11/2003, 11:56 AM
I have an extra 38g hanging around and wanted to know your feelings on making it a sump. Is it too big? I have seen many people with sumps around 20g. I was going to make a 3 chamber style sump with water first going into the skimmer compartment through baffles to the fuge through another set of baffles to the return chamber. How does that sound. I want to make sure I am doing this right and the size is good. Thanks.

skearse
11/11/2003, 12:09 PM
I always heard that bigger is better (more volume to "dilute" any upsets). If it fits were you want it, I'd say you're all set.

Tomzpc
11/11/2003, 03:05 PM
Ross, not Russ.....

Like Stacey said, the bigger the better when it comes to sumps. The main restriction to sump size being where you want to locate it. Many people (like HVRK Frank) have been putting the sump in the basement. Mine, for now, is restricted by the size of my cabinet/stand. I still am fuge-less for the same reason. :mad:

You'd be better off plumbing the refugium off of the sump as opposed to including it within the sump itself. The reason being that you want good water flow through your overflow, sump and return but a slower flow through the fuge. You can either branch off the overflow(s) with a separate line to feed the fuge or branch off the return to do the same, or run a separate line with a smaller pipe from the sump to the fuge.

Confuse ya Ross, not Russ? :confused:

masterswimmer
11/11/2003, 06:14 PM
Hey Ross, not me!!!
I totally agree with Tom. However, you can incorporate the fuge into your sump and attain the same benefits as Tom stated. Just make the overflow into your skimmer on one end of the sump. Have the baffles flow into the return pump chamber. From the return pump, 'T' off it, with a smaller diameter PVC pipe to the opposite side of the sump from the skimmer where your fuge is. Have the fuge overflow back into the return pump chamber.
Confused yet, Ross, not me?

We can lay it out on Saturday at the meeting.

Oh, btw, I got my Lifereef sump and skimmer in the mail today. I'm just about there guys.

Russ
not Ross

Tomzpc
11/11/2003, 06:29 PM
Oh yeah....what Russ said too, Ross.:p

nine9d
11/11/2003, 06:45 PM
So like this:
http://nine9d.hvreef.org/images/sump.jpg

seaham358
11/11/2003, 07:19 PM
If sparky is still around he has a fuge/sump combo he bought somewhere, it is a sweet set up. The fuge is in the middle and he has good flow. Maybe he can share some info on this..
SPARKY........SPARKY....... U STILL WITH US?????

When / If I set up the 90 this winter I am going to use a large tank and set it up like his.

The other Rob might know who makes his sump so we can check it out on the web.

nine9d
11/11/2003, 07:37 PM
O.k. So is my design any good? I bought 1/8" thick acrylic so I can make my baffles and such, is that thick enough? Also, can I just use regular watertight silicone for it. I don't have to use the aquarium stuff right? Same thing I would imagine. Thanks.

masterswimmer
11/11/2003, 08:47 PM
Ok Ross,
First, I like 1/4" acrylic, less bow not much more $$$. Secondly, It will work the way you have it. However, I like the supply line to the fuge coming off the return line with a ball/gate valve as opposed to coming off the overflow line. Gives your little pods and fuge critters cleaner/skimmed water.

Now question for you....is your 29 AGA? If it is, then using standard silicone should work. If your 29 is acrylic, then silicone will not work. You'd have to use Weldon 3, Weldon 4 or Weldon 16.

Once again, good start, we can fine tune it Saturday if you like. And probably more fine tuning after that. You know this hobby, never ending for new info.

Russ
Not Ross

Franks Reef
11/11/2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by nine9d
I have an extra 38g hanging around and wanted to know your feelings on making it a sump. Is it too big? I want to make sure I am doing this right and the size is good. Thanks.

Definitely not too big. The bigger the better IMO. Ever since I upgraded from a 15 Gallon sump and a 20 gallon fuge to a 75 gallon sump (60 gallons of actual water) and a 50 gallon fuge, my systems has been very stable.

Go for it!! If you can't have a seperate fuge, then the diagram you posted looks good. Just put 80% of the flow into the skimmer area and 20% into the fuge area. But I disagree with Russ, the critters and macro algae thrive on dirtier, unskimmed water. Definitely better to send water right from the tank to the fuge IMO.

Good Luck,
Frank

nine9d
11/11/2003, 09:28 PM
Whew. Thanks everyone. I agree that the 1/8" is too skimpy. I kept questioning the fact as I bought it. It is an 39g all glass tank. I really did not want to run it off of the return because it is going to have a long way to go up to the top, almost 6'. I am going to need something big to push the water back to the top. SHould I go with the Mag Drive 18 or 24? Or is there something better? The 18 pushes 1800gph at zero feet and 1350gph at 4 feet. The 24 pushes 2400gph at zero to one feet and 1800gph at 5 feet. My overflow has a 1600 gph flow rate.

SE TX HYDROPONICS
11/11/2003, 10:08 PM
where is a good place to buy acrylic cheap?

nine9d
11/11/2003, 10:56 PM
I guess that would depend upon how much you needed and what for. The 1/8" sheets that I got at home depot was about $3 a sheet. Not too bad in my book. But I am going to return it because I want 1/4" at least. Lata.

seaham358
11/12/2003, 09:34 AM
Ross,

I would not use regular silicone for my fish tank. I would only use aquarium safe silicone. I'm sure that there is a difference with the chemicals used in making them.

Go with what you have dirty water is better as Frank said. I have one fuge on the tank return and the other on the sump return and the tank return fuge is growing faster.

1/4 " would be better........

Tomzpc
11/12/2003, 11:21 AM
Ditto on the "dirty" water into the fuge. Part of the point of having the fuge in the first place is for it's filtering capabilities.

Would pvc cement work on acrylic? How about superglue gel?

foxstop
11/12/2003, 02:53 PM
Rob (Sparkysreef) has an Ecosystem set up on his 180. I'm sure if you PM'd him he would give you the details of the setup.

Brian

nine9d
11/12/2003, 04:46 PM
Thanks Brian. I was doing some reading on that Ecosystem. Has anyone else had experience with it? Is it all what it says to be?

SE TX HYDROPONICS
11/12/2003, 05:32 PM
i am setting up a 29 gallon tank with a 30 sump....i want to use the ecosystem method but i also want a plenum in the tank...what do y'all think?

foxstop
11/12/2003, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure the Ecosystem folks would advocate a plenum. I don't think you need one if you are doing the Ecosystem method and I'm not sure it would provide denitirfication in addition to the Miracle Mud in the sump.
I don't have first hand experience. It's just an opinion at this point based on what I've read off of their site at
http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/index.html (http://http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/index.html)

It would be an interesting experiment, but if you can obtain good nutrient export and denitirfication with the Ecosystem method, why bother with a plenum which could be problematic at some point down the road.
Just some thoughts :D

Brian

SE TX HYDROPONICS
11/12/2003, 07:17 PM
well i have heard of the downsides to plenums.......what are the downsides to ecosystem......besides macros going asexual?

foxstop
11/12/2003, 08:20 PM
Here are a couple of threads on the Ecosystem method here on RC:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=252970&highlight=Ecosystem (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=252970&highlight=Ecosystem)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142408&highlight=Ecosystem (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142408&highlight=Ecosystem)

If you do a search on Ecosystem you will find about 5 pages of threads.

Enjoy!

Brian

skearse
11/15/2003, 08:57 AM
Would pvc cement work on acrylic? How about superglue gel?

No-PVC cement uses MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) for the chemical solvent; acrylic cement is methylene chloride. Not sure about the superglue, though.