PDA

View Full Version : Quarantining Blue Reef Chromis ??

Nanook
06/19/2001, 10:45 PM
Howdy,

Today I received 7 Blue Reef Chromis from a supplier. They are all small, sizes ranging from 1/2" to 1" in length. I put them in the 20g long tank which has a little live rock, a Penguin mini Biowheel and the filter with carbon. I have a Rio 800 for circulation. I kept them in the dark for about 8hrs and then turned on the 20w light. After about 30 minutes, six of the chromis were hanging out nicely in a group, the seventh one is missing in action. No chance for jumping out, I have that covered with gutter guard. Do you think the seventh guy died or is just hanging low for now??

Should I change a couple gallons per week of water and should I keep the SG about the same as the main tank?? Any other suggestions for Quarantining this bunch?

I really am scared that they won't fare well in the Q tank, I would have liked to just have put them in my 120g which has pristine conditions. Thanks,

Dave

PS: All 6 fish took flake food greedily! :D

billsreef
06/19/2001, 11:12 PM
Take a good look for the 7th one, could be it's on the bottom of the pecking order. Make sure to get plenty of hiding spaces for them. I usually maintain conditions in Q close to that of the main tank and only treat if the fish show signs of an obvious problem. That they feed readily is a good sign, just keep a close eye on the water quality.

Nanook
06/19/2001, 11:35 PM
Thanks Bill for the good advice!! :)

nanook