PDA

View Full Version : am I going to have a problem with my breakers

lilbuddy
11/10/2003, 03:19 PM
ok as most of you may know im setting up my 300g soon. All the finale equipment should be in this week. The tank is going into my dining room the only other thing that use's electricity in that room is a chandelier. The wall which the tank is going on has two out lets. I assume they are hooked up to the same breaker which is probably either a 15-20 amp breaker Im not sure.

The room has cathedral clings and is on a slab. So no craw space or attic over this room. I need to know if I can use those two outlets for my equipment or do I need to add another breaker and outlets to that wall.
I will have
440watts vho on aro ballast
1 aro 250watt mh ballast
1 dual pfo pulse start 250w mh ballast
1 dolphin amp master 3600
4 4" ice cap fans
1 sedra 5000 pump on skimmer
1 mag 3 on ca reactor
2 1" seaswirls
not to sure about heaters the room stays pretty consistent threw out the year. I think that's about it.

after doing some quick math i think im going to pull about 15 amps does that sound about right to you guys? I think up im the creek with out a padle here. I dont know how I can add another breaker switch with out a craw space or attic space?

am I SOL???

VegasMike
11/10/2003, 05:27 PM
You aren't up the creek yet. Have your electrician take a look at it. You could have as low as a 10 amp breaker, but I think it should be easy to upgrade it to a 20. Also, make sure to upgrade the outlet to a GFCI at the same time. The best thing to do is to consult an electrician though.

lilbuddy
11/10/2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by VegasMike
You aren't up the creek yet. Have your electrician take a look at it. You could have as low as a 10 amp breaker, but I think it should be easy to upgrade it to a 20. Also, make sure to upgrade the outlet to a GFCI at the same time. The best thing to do is to consult an electrician though.

thanks i will, my wifes family is filled with them but they are about 2 hrs away i need for her brother to come up and visit.

thanks again mike

Borg14
11/10/2003, 06:02 PM
Check the amp draw on your ballasts, rated 120volts of course. Everything else thats only rated in watts, total them up and divide by 120 to get the amps. Whats your total amp load?

Your existting circuit will be on a 15amp or a 20amp breaker. (unless your really old school and have screw in or plug in fuses) Here's what you do, turn off the breaker to the outlet you want to use. Use a lamp to see what outlets are out and flip your light switches to see what lights are out. At that time check the rating on your breaker, it will be 15 or 20 printed right on the breaker handle. If it's 15 amp rated then your stuck with 15amps most likely because that means you have 14 awg wire size. If you have a 20 amp breaker then you have 12 awg wire size which is bigger and better.
Your best bet in the long run no doubt in my mind is to have at least one dedicated 20amp circuit run for the tank. Would really suck if someone was to plug, lets say a vacuum into one of the receptacles thats on the same circuit and trip the breaker. If it was me I"d have at least two 20amp circuits run to the tank, one for the lights and one for the pumps, of course both would be GFCI's. Call an electrician, if it's an outside wall they can bring the wire in from the outside I bet. HTH

Nagel
11/10/2003, 06:14 PM
Well, I have 2 dedicated lighting circuits and 1 circuit for pumps / etc. on my 300. Keep in mind I have 2020 watts of light (3 x 400w mh, plus 820 watts of VHO).

All are 15 amp circuits.

Do keep in mind, most people aim to have a constant load of no more then 2/3 - 3/4 of the total breaker rating (ex. running 10 amps of lights on a 15 amp circuit).

HTH

btw. I have seen circuits added with a slab floor, usually requires a channel to be cut in the concrete for the romex to be run in.

lilbuddy
11/11/2003, 09:13 AM
nagel

I spoke with my brother in-law last night he is going to install 2 dedicated 20 amp breakers. I was lucky theat my main breaker box is located on the same wall where my tank is going so we will drill a small hole run the wire outside, underground and than come back into the house.

This is killing me b/c i have all I need to set up my tank just have to wait for him to come up to do the work for me.

Mike

thanks again guys!!!!

Borg14
11/11/2003, 12:08 PM
my outside wall theory worked =)